HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:15 PM

Using the boundaries of 12th Street, Broadway and Lake Merritt, I get a Chinese population of about 4,000 in Oakland's Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Using the boundaries of 12th Street, Broadway and Lake Merritt, I get a Chinese population of about 4,000 in Oakland's Chinatown.
The boundaries for Chinatown are Broadway, 13th, Jackson and 7th. It has a population of around 3500

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:32 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Oakland's Chinatown is certainly one of the larger and more vibrant that I've seen in America, but it pales in comparison with SF's downtown Chinatown in terms of vibrancy, density, food options, shopping, etc. I've had some decent dim sum in Oakland Chinatown, but cannot comment on whether the restaurant scene is of better quality or more traditional than across the Bay.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The boundaries for Chinatown are Broadway, 13th, Jackson and 7th. It has a population of around 3500
My figures come from 2 census tracts from which Oakland's Chinatown is comprised. Chinese population is about 4,000 out of a total population of 7,000.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Uh, they are in Toronto, NYC, LA, San Francisco, etc. as well.

A small minority of Chinese North Americans actually live in Chinatowns and an even smaller percentage of Italians live in "Little Italy" districts.

Surprised Hamilton doesn't have a Little Italy.
Detroit doesn't have any of these districts either, strange for a larger city. There is a Mexican Town district, mediocre in size, but no Chinatown at all.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Pittsburgh doesnt have a Chinatown anymore, most of it got flattened in the mid 1900s for highways and on ramps. Theres like 3 buildings left from the old Chinatown. Plus Pittsburgh is like one of the least diverse major cities in the nation.
Maybe this is the case with all the old industrial cities. Someone on here said that Hamilton doesnt have a Chinatown, I dont know of one in Cleveland, I'm sure that Buffalo doesnt, Milwaukee, I dont think they do, Detroit notta, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, none of these cities has a Chinatown. Only Chicago and like its been stated, theirs is disconnected. I guess the chinese that migrated to the US didnt come here to work in factories, so they didnt choose these cities.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Maybe this is the case with all the old industrial cities. Someone on here said that Hamilton doesnt have a Chinatown, I dont know of one in Cleveland, I'm sure that Buffalo doesnt, Milwaukee, I dont think they do, Detroit notta, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, none of these cities has a Chinatown. Only Chicago and like its been stated, theirs is disconnected. I guess the chinese that migrated to the US didnt come here to work in factories, so they didnt choose these cities.

Yes well Detroit used to have a Chinatown, It also used to have ethnic neighborhoods where folks could sample wares from Eastern European ethnicities. Big German population, like Chicago, and the Poles still have a fair presence but Hamtramck is the center of all things Polish in the metro. Hamtramck has become home to a lot of Bangladeshi and other Southeast Asian groups.

Poletown in Detroit was decimated to build the infamous Poletown Plant not so long ago. Ditto for Black Bottom, or Paradise Valley; the first Black neighborhoods in the city and had a lot of homegrown businesses that vanished when Lafayette Park was built. Greektown is waning somewhat but Mexicantown seems to be doing OK. Dearborn and the suburbs have large ethnic districts and businesses, i.e: Arabic, Chaldean among others...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:31 PM
They all float down here

This is Salt Lake's Chinatown.

http://www.saltlakechinatown.com/

...I'm serious.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 9:10 PM

Montreal's Chinatown is tiny - about 500 Chinese out of 1,300 in one census tract.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:39 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Montreal's Chinatown is tiny - about 500 Chinese out of 1,300 in one census tract.
Tiny in terms of actual chinese population? Cuz physically, it's not that tiny, it's decent sized.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:11 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

According to this (entirely subjective) top 10 ranking of Chinatowns around the world, Toronto comes in at #3 and Vancouver at #9. Though it doesn't really say anything about Toronto's Chinatown in the description.

http://www.insightguides.com/inspire...s-of-the-world
lol thats the opinion of a becky. nothing wrong with that except that it hardly qualifies as a ranking.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:13 PM

From my thread back in February!

Here's something most people outside NYC didn't realize: Yes, there are "3" Chinatowns within the City:

Watch video clip
Source:
http://www.cctv-america.com/2015/02/...f-3-chinatowns

New York City: A tale of 3 Chinatowns

HuberNYLunarNewYear.00_02_09_19.Still002
From Beijing to the largest cities in the United States, celebrations of Chinese New Year have only gotten bigger and the festive spirit has only gotten stronger.

CCTV America’s Karina Huber filed this report from the three China towns in New York.

New York City’s Manhattan and surrounding boroughs are home to the largest ethnic Chinese population outside of Asia.

Chinese immigrants are still among the fastest growing in the city. As a result, many China towns have popped up across all areas of New York. New York City’s most famous and historical Chinatown is in Manhattan.

Chinese immigrants began settling the area in the 1880s, working mainly as laundrymen. The population exploded in 1968 when immigration laws made it easier for Chinese to settle in the United States. Most spoke Cantonese.

Many are leaving and starting businesses in other boroughs of New York City. Sunset Park, Chinatown in Brooklyn, is the fastest growing Chinatown in New York City. It’s currently the second largest Chinatown in the city and is expected to become the biggest soon.

NYC and Company, the city’s official tourism organization, recently began promoting the three China towns, including the biggest in Flushing, Queens. Most of the inhabitants in Queen’s Chinatown speak Mandarin and moved because they couldn’t relate to the Cantonese speaking culture in Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Detroit doesn't have any of these districts either, strange for a larger city. There is a Mexican Town district, mediocre in size, but no Chinatown at all.
Well, the Detroit Area does have both a Chinatown and Little Italy, it's just that they are both across the river in Windsor. Windsors Little Italy is very nice and fairly large on Erie St. and our Chinatown is along Wyandotte St. W. strecthing from DT to the University of Windsor in the west end. Both attract many people from the Greater Detroit Area.

http://chinatownwiki.com/wiki/index....indsor_Ontario

http://viaitalia.com

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
From my thread back in February!

Here's something most people outside NYC didn't realize: Yes, there are "3" Chinatowns within the City:

Watch video clip
Source:
http://www.cctv-america.com/2015/02/...f-3-chinatowns

New York City: A tale of 3 Chinatowns

HuberNYLunarNewYear.00_02_09_19.Still002
From Beijing to the largest cities in the United States, celebrations of Chinese New Year have only gotten bigger and the festive spirit has only gotten stronger.

CCTV America’s Karina Huber filed this report from the three China towns in New York.

New York City’s Manhattan and surrounding boroughs are home to the largest ethnic Chinese population outside of Asia.

Chinese immigrants are still among the fastest growing in the city. As a result, many China towns have popped up across all areas of New York. New York City’s most famous and historical Chinatown is in Manhattan.

Chinese immigrants began settling the area in the 1880s, working mainly as laundrymen. The population exploded in 1968 when immigration laws made it easier for Chinese to settle in the United States. Most spoke Cantonese.

Many are leaving and starting businesses in other boroughs of New York City. Sunset Park, Chinatown in Brooklyn, is the fastest growing Chinatown in New York City. It’s currently the second largest Chinatown in the city and is expected to become the biggest soon.

NYC and Company, the city’s official tourism organization, recently began promoting the three China towns, including the biggest in Flushing, Queens. Most of the inhabitants in Queen’s Chinatown speak Mandarin and moved because they couldn’t relate to the Cantonese speaking culture in Manhattan.
It's not just Flushing that has a Chinatown now. Elmhurst, Queens is becoming a satellite Chinese community with cultural connections to the Flushing one. The Chinese population there is booming, and development is starting to follow.

Bensonhurst, Brooklyn is also forming a nice Chinese community. From what data I find, there are at last 24,000 foreign born Chinese in the area. I think most are Cantonese speakers, but might be some Fuzhou immigrants as well.

Sheepshead Bay (Homecrest) is another one that's fairly recent. This one is completely Cantonese and started as a satellite of Manhattan's Chinatown. It as over 7,000 foreign born Chinese, and is growing at a quick pace.

Last edited by oldurbanism; Mar 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:41 PM

Summing up by approximate Chinatown Chinese population. All from census tracts unless otherwise stated.

Manhattan 50,000 (report on NY/Boston/Philadelphia Chinatown)
San Francisco 19,000 (94108 and 94133)
Chicago 8,000
Toronto 7,500
Boston 5,500
Los Angeles 5,500
Oakland 4,000
Vancouver 3,000
Philadelphia 2,500
Seattle 1,000
Montreal 500
Washington less than 500

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:06 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

At 38.3% Chinese couldn't Markham be Toronto's China town? That gives 115k Chinese and beats Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM

I think you're trying to equate an entire city's Chinese population to it's Chinatown but that's not what we're talking about here. The focus is on districts within cities known as Chinatowns. NYC's (the 5 boroughs) Chinese population is estimated at 522,619 (2012), Manhattan's at around 98,000.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:31 PM

No one's mentioned Chinatown in Philadelphia. https://goo.gl/maps/SlD41

It's supposedly the largest Chinatown in the country outside of NY and SF. But that can't be correct because the figures I'm seeing show a population of only 1400 people, which seems very low to me. The same data shows the population to be 80% Asian. Unlike some other Chinatowns, other Asian immigrants have built their own, separate communities, so it's fair to say that Philly Chinatown is very much Chinese. The Vietnamese live in South Philly and the Koreans have an enclave in North Philly.

Most residents live in walk-up apartments above storefronts. The area is bustling but hemmed in by an expressway, a convention center, and a major thoroughfare. The commercial core is about 3 blocks by 5 blocks, although some residents and wholesale operations are moving north of the expressway. There's a ton of restaurants, along with grocery stores, tea shops, banks, knick knack shops, travel agencies/currency exchange, and other professional services. Plus, an obligatory Chinatown arch. The one in Philly was actually made in China (ironic, huh).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I think you're trying to equate an entire city's Chinese population to it's Chinatown but that's not what we're talking about here. The focus is on districts within cities known as Chinatowns. NYC's (the 5 boroughs) Chinese population is estimated at 522,619 (2012), Manhattan's at around 98,000.
I wasn't serious, just making a joke as it seems to have a higher proportion Chinese than a few of the China Towns being listed.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
One thing I like about Hamilton (Ontario) is that it doesn't have a China town, or a Little Italy, or any of those things. Instead everyone's just scattered everywhere all across the city.
True, Hamilton has no Chinatown, just several Asian businesses in the Cannon St. area from about James to Vine.

There are some other ethnic concentrations in Hamilton. But the city does nothing to brand these neighbourhoods.

James North is shared by Portuguese and Italians.

Murray St. is actually branded as Corso Raculmuto, in honor of an Italian village whose inhabitants settled in the area.

The Barton and Wentworth area is also strongly Italian, as is Stoney Creek.

Barton Street from Sherman to Gage is Polish

Kenilworth has some Croatian businesses and southwest Stoney Creek/East Hamilton has a very large concentration of people from the former Yugoslavia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions