HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
One would think so, but this is not new.

Forbes Billionaires 2015
San Francisco City 26
Los Angeles City 25

San Francisco CSA 71
Los Angeles CSA 48
OK, but that isn't really directly relevant. This isn't a ranking of billionaires. I could see SF having more billionaires, but not millionaires.

And Fresno ahead of St. Louis and Phoenix? Does that pass the smell test? Why would Fresno be loaded with rich folks, moreso than higher income metros 5x the size?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:04 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
OK, but that isn't really directly relevant. This isn't a ranking of billionaires. I could see SF having more billionaires, but not millionaires.
This is not just "millionaires", this is "Ultra High Net Worth Individuals" which they define as having a net worth of $30 Million+ and I honestly would of thought SF is probably even higher.

And there are other ways that SF actually has larger numbers than LA despite having far less people.

Owner Occupied Housing Units Valued at $1,000,000+, 2013
San Francisco CSA 255,000
Los Angeles CSA 220,000

Quote:
And Fresno ahead of St. Louis and Phoenix? Does that pass the smell test? Why would Fresno be loaded with rich folks, moreso than higher income metros 5x the size?
Actually the report says that Fresno ranks high due to the fact that it is the agribusiness center of CA.

I didnt author the report by the way, so Im not really worried about your nasal sensitivites.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:

Actually the report says that Fresno ranks high due to the fact that it is the agribusiness center of CA.

I didnt author the report by the way, so Im not really worried about your nasal sensitivites.
You posted the report, so sorry, you will have deal with others "nasal sensitivities".

And, no, I'm not going to agree that Fresno has more wealth than cities 5-6 times bigger. I'm not going to believe that Detroit has more wealth than Miami or twice the wealth of Philly. I'm not going to believe that Milwaukee has more wealth than Philly, or almost as much as Boston. Makes no sense, at all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:22 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
You posted the report, so sorry, you will have deal with others "nasal sensitivities".
Haha no not at all. I actually have zero responsibility to make it palatable to you.

Quote:
And, no, I'm not going to agree that Fresno has more wealth than cities 5-6 times bigger. I'm not going to believe that Detroit has more wealth than Miami or twice the wealth of Philly. I'm not going to believe that Milwaukee has more wealth than Philly, or almost as much as Boston. Makes no sense, at all.
You are free to email your disdain to the link

But clearly I see that this might be yet another example of how perception and reality might not be aligned.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Haha no not at all. I actually have zero responsibility to make it palatable to you.
No, actually you have 100% responsibility. You posted the link. If you think it's garbage, then why did you post it?
Quote:
But clearly I see that this might be yet another example of how perception and reality might not be aligned.
True, this is possible, but extremely unlikely. I don't find it likely that Fresno is some under-the-radar Zurich or Silicon Valley, full of massive and secretive wealth, and that the Census somehow horribly screwed up its income data. I find it more likely that the list is simply wrong.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:47 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
No, actually you have 100% responsibility. You posted the link. If you think it's garbage, then why did you post it?
I didnt say I think it's garbage, and Im not responsible for your reaction. What a laugh.

Quote:
True, this is possible, but extremely unlikely. I don't find it likely that Fresno is some under-the-radar Zurich or Silicon Valley, full of massive and secretive wealth, and that the Census somehow horribly screwed up its income data. I find it more likely that the list is simply wrong.
Zurich and Silicon Valley( the 2 places I split my time in coincidentally) are hardly "under the radar" as far as wealth. What a strange assertion?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:55 PM

The Fresno one is baffling. SF vs LA seems plausible, though since some of the others don't really pass the sniff test...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
The Fresno one is baffling. SF vs LA seems plausible, though since some of the others don't really pass the sniff test...
Don't believe it.

And how is this metropolitan area when Miami and Palm Beach are separate?

Last edited by 599GTO; Mar 30, 2015 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:12 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
It almost certainly has to do with the fact that privately held farms in the Central Valley are on an industrial scale compared to agriculture in the rest of the US.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
It almost certainly has to do with the fact that privately held farms in the Central Valley are on an industrial scale compared to agriculture in the rest of the US.
Sure, but 480 people in Fresno worth 30 million + because of this? There aren't that many industrial privately-owned farms in the Central Valley, let alone right around Fresno.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Sure, but 480 people in Fresno worth 30 million + because of this? There aren't that many industrial privately-owned farms in the Central Valley, let alone right around Fresno.
Or it's just flat out inaccurate. According to the California Department of Finance, there were only 469 households in the Fresno County who had gross incomes over $1mm last year, which is amongst the lowest rates in California. In comparison, San Diego has about 3,500, yet according to the source in question, Frenso magically has only 50% fewer UHNWI than San Diego. Fresno also seems to be the only place in the world with more $30MM+ net worth households than there are those who make $1MM+.

As someone who has lived in California for 1/3rd of my life and has had the misfortune of going into Fresno multiple times...the dump doesn't even have 100 UHNWI, let alone 480.

I looked at their website and unlike the other wealth surveys, there is no methodology given. They just simply tell the readers to rely on their magical "wealth intelligence".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Actually, according to bea.gov, Fresno and surrounding Metro Areas account for about $16 billion of the total national "farms" gdp of $72 billion.

And Fresno and surrounding Metro Areas account for $20 billion of the total national agriculture gdp of $94 billion.

So that totals an annual output of $36 billion, by far the largest ag gdp in the nation, of which Fresno appears to be the nexus. It stands to reason that the relatively few who control all of that are very wealthy.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Actually, according to bea.gov, Fresno and surrounding Metro Areas account for about $16 billion of the total national "farms" gdp of $72 billion.

And Fresno and surrounding Metro Areas account for $20 billion of the total national agriculture gdp of $94 billion.

So that totals an annual output of $36 billion, by far the largest ag gdp in the nation, of which Fresno appears to be the nexus. It stands to reason that the relatively few who control all of that are very wealthy.
Yes, I get that. I would just assume that it would be more more concentrated. 680 individuals implies that the wealth is spread around quite a bit.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:08 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:

There is also probably a lot of wealth tied up in the value of the farm land.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Or it's just flat out inaccurate. According to the California Department of Finance, there were only 469 households in the Fresno County who had gross incomes over $1mm last year, which is amongst the lowest rates in California. In comparison, San Diego has about 3,500, yet according to the source in question, Frenso magically has only 50% fewer UHNWI than San Diego. Fresno also seems to be the only place in the world with more $30MM+ net worth households than there are those who make $1MM+.
Right. Thanks for the CDF data. That number for Fresno is just not credible...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:14 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Yes, I get that. I would just assume that it would be more more concentrated. 680 individuals implies that the wealth is spread around quite a bit.
I would be inclined to agree. This stat is interesting tho:

Quote:
Schuiteman's farm is one of
over 50,000 nationwide that
have gross sales of over a
million dollars a year, according
to the United States Department
of Agriculture...
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/27/news/economy/farming/

So if Fresno accounts for a fifth of that, we're talking 10,000 farms that gross $1M+, they probably have substantial land which itself is valuable.

After considering that, Im not so sure it's difficult to justify 480, but I digress.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:15 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
There is also probably a lot of wealth tied up in the value of the farm land.
I would definitely say so.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:37 PM
Paradise Island

How much are water rights worth? That may also be part of it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions