HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:50 AM
Never Dell

I like my city's plan: continue to have a relatively small convention center, but build a second one nearby, so the two centers can alternate. When one is tearing a show down or setting one up, the other can have a show running. Or once in a while a show can be in both centers at once.

This also means that our shows are typically small enough that the hotels within walking distance are plenty. No charter buses except for voluntary excursions. Contrast that with centers that need to bus people in from around their metros, and where a convention can mean regular tourists and business travelers get mostly shut out.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:14 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
People can't complain about how we only talk about a few certain cities and then also complain when we talk about other cities...oh, wait. Yes they can.
Indeed, which is why there are no Charlotte forumers, why any talk of Atlanta is a minefield, and why there appears to be a concerted effort to get rid of St. Louis forumers. I would really prefer for this site to not become a New York/LA/Chicago/Seattle/San Francisco circle jerk.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I like my city's plan: continue to have a relatively small convention center, but build a second one nearby, so the two centers can alternate. When one is tearing a show down or setting one up, the other can have a show running. Or once in a while a show can be in both centers at once.
Yep, I forgot to mention the article doesn't discuss the IX Center, a former B29 bomber and tank factory located near the airport. It gets the larger shows (auto, boat, etc.) that the downtown center doesn't have the square footage for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-X_Center

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 1:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well being optimistic you could say the newspaper is just offering up comparisons of what other regional cities are doing. however, i'm inclined to think they just want to stir up some drama here to sell newspapers.

the fact is the downtown cleveland convention center was badly outdated and has needed renovated and expanded for a long, long, long time. it's just getting back in the game really. the new hotel and med mart (Global Center for Health Innovation) will also help boost business up when they get going.

a big positive is that being buried underground makes the cleveland convention center fantastically innovative. there is nothing worse than block busting convention center dead zones in the middle of cities and cleveland had the foresight long ago to invest in avoiding that problem.

anyway, the renovated convention center seems to be doing alright for just now getting itself back on the broader convention center business radar. per another article:

* In 2014, the convention center hosted 228 events, which far exceeded the goal of 130 events outlined in the operating contract between management company SMG and Cuyahoga County. Those 228 events attracted 177,000 people.

* But of those 228 events, only 20 were so-called "exhibit hall events" - multi-day gatherings that brought out-of-town visitors to Cleveland, visitors who stay in hotels, shop in downtown stores and eat at restaurants. The goal for 2014 for these bigger, longer events was 30.

* The convention center operated at a $4.1 million loss in 2014, not surprising because most centers don't break even. The goal - for Cleveland's facility and others - is to generate enough economic activity to more than make up for the deficit.

* SMG estimates the economic impact of all 228 events at about $111 million. (That compares to $330 million in economic impact promised back in 2009, when county officials were pitching the convention center-medical mart complex to the public; it's not clear, however, when that estimate was expected to be achieved - certainly not in the first year of the center's operation.)

more:
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...t_on_conv.html

and lastly, as for any who's got the bigger one pissing match business, welp ok if they wanna play that game cleveland's got it hands down because they have two convention centers. the ix center is the largest convention center in the usa and one of the largest in the world, if not thee largest. the structure is over 2M sq ft and has a freakin ferris wheel inside folks. as i recall it was the largest ferris wheel at the time it was built. now that's my kind of amenity for your typical boring conventions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 1:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

The convention business has been shrinking something like 5% annually for quite some time now

no, per the op's article it's more like broadly moribund:

The Center for Exhibition Industry Research tracks attendance at exhibitions nationwide. Not surprisingly, attendance is closely tied with the economy. Here's how attendance has fluctuated in recent years. (The CEIR defines an exhibition as event with 3,000 or more square feet of exhibit space and 10 or more exhibiting companies).

2000: 66.0 million

2001: 64.7 million

2003: 62.2 million

2004: 65.9 million

2005: 65.5 million

2006: 66.5 million

2007: 68.3 million

2008: 65.7 million

2009: 61.0 million

2010: 63.2 million

2011: 65.1 million

2012: 66.7 million

2013: 68.4 million

2014: 70.0 million (estimate)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 6:04 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Yep, I forgot to mention the article doesn't discuss the IX Center, a former B29 bomber and tank factory located near the airport. It gets the larger shows (auto, boat, etc.) that the downtown center doesn't have the square footage for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-X_Center
We have a big Downtown exhibit hall too, between our stadiums. I'm not counting that. Exhibit halls are boxes with minimal services, little if any meeting space, sometimes no hotels nearby, etc. They focus on local events like those boat shows. Having two convention centers is about bringing in visitors who will spend hundreds per day.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
We have a big Downtown exhibit hall too, between our stadiums. I'm not counting that. Exhibit halls are boxes with minimal services, little if any meeting space, sometimes no hotels nearby, etc. They focus on local events like those boat shows. Having two convention centers is about bringing in visitors who will spend hundreds per day.
thats true in a sense. the massive cle ix center is at the airport. after all it was an airplane factory. but its so large its much better placed there than right downtown somewhere. it does bring airport area + hotel business. so thats something. and it can certainly handle large events and is easy to get in and out of.

i think the ix and the newly renovated out of the way underground convention center downtown (w/bonus med mart and hotel) are really about as ideal as i could ever imagine for a city. i dont see it as anything overblown or unnesessary at all, because the old cc downtown was so badly outdated it absolutely had to be done.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions