HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
This is great! Hoping a more solid venue could be incorporated into the base. AMH sucked so hard.
Yeah... that's where I am ... but sincerely doubt that will happen. I suspect all the spin over the AMH brand is just public relations BS.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Nice find there. It looks stubby, but it appears to be about 25-stories which isn't too far off from the announced 28-stories.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Nice find there. It looks stubby, but it appears to be about 25-stories which isn't too far off from the announced 28-stories.
I don't believe that is it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm View Post
I don't believe that is it.
The address is correct, and the 2nd St. bridge over Shoal creek is where it should be. I just think it is an old rendering.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:14 PM
Member since 2001

Correct me if I am wrong, should there be a required setback on the Shoal Creek side of this building? If so, the building would not be square (or cube-like) in design.

The rendering may be a place holder design.

I also do not see the three 28-foot floors described in the ABJ & AAS articles.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, should there be a required setback on the Shoal Creek side of this building? If so, the building would not be square (or cube-like) in design.

The rendering may be a place holder design.

I also do not see the three 28-foot floors described in the ABJ & AAS articles.
They'll likely ask for a variance. I'm betting this was a very early rendering and that an update will be forthcoming.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:49 PM

That's not even the correct location. The new bridge is the 2nd street bridge, but this building is on 3rd street (despite the address of 208, which yes, perhaps seems closer to 200 than 300).

Also I don't see the 28 foot floors mentioned in the press release.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
It looks stubby because the picture is stretched - check out the white car at the bottom left. It probably looks a lot more like 500 West 2nd's rendering if it was sized correctly.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
The new bridge is the 2nd street bridge, but this building is on 3rd street.
It's probably the (eventual) bridge across 3rd Street.

One thing is for sure; it's scrunched up. Look at those cars.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:28 AM

I stretched it to make it more in proportion to this reality:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:40 AM

Quote:
I stretched it to make it more in proportion to this reality:

Thanks ATX!

Its such a strange looking building. I wonder if that brownish-orange part is metal or wood or what. I'm not a fan, but this is a preliminary rendering and buildings change drastically between the very first design and construction. It looks like the ground floor is two-stories tall and the penthouse is two-stories tall, but it's hard to tell. That would make it technically 28 stories tall, if that rendering is anywhere close to correct.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:36 AM

Thanks for stretching the rendering! So what do people think? Will this one ultimately be taller than 3rd and Colorado and 500 West 2nd Street? The fact that three of the unique-office style floors will take up a combined 90 feet, this one looks like it could crack 400, especially if some sort of lit crown is added, a la 3rd and Colorado.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 7:53 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Looks too stubby to be anywhere near 400 feet. I find it hard to believe that is the rendering for this project. It may have been an earlier version but I would surely hope that if there is a new rendering the design looks better than that.

Also if they want to have accurate placement they should get rid of the building next to it that has the same height.

I'm not a fan of the design as is even if it's an early version it leaves little hope an update would be much better. The new DT office buildings and proposals are unimaginative and boring save for 3rd @ Colorado and it's glass is what saves it for me. The IBC building is okay for its location.

Instead of these short buildings which are more parking garage than office I'd rather see a taller tower with a nice design that would make an impact on the skyline. The more 18 to 28 floor office buildings that are proposed and built the less likely we will see a real office tower like the ones in Houston or Dallas. At this rate I seriously doubt we will see an office building over 33 floors for at least 5 years if not longer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jdawgboy;7090565]Looks too stubby to be anywhere near 400 feet.

It's just under 400 ft. I think around 380ft or something like that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:54 PM

Is there some sort of local ordinance, lending issue, construction cost issue, or something else that keeps so many of our buildings around 400'? In other words, why are developers finding it unprofitable to go taller in our market?

My guess is it has something do with land cost being relatively cheap, lenders and city ordinances requiring parking minimums and FAR ratios, and perhaps not enough demand for density from consumers.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Is there some sort of local ordinance, lending issue, construction cost issue, or something else that keeps so many of our buildings around 400'? In other words, why are developers finding it unprofitable to go taller in our market?

My guess is it has something do with land cost being relatively cheap, lenders and city ordinances requiring parking minimums and FAR ratios, and perhaps not enough demand for density from consumers.
I think the density bonus program is a bit backwards. Instead of making developers pay what seems like a penalty TO build taller, why they don't offer incentives FOR building taller?

Yes, the developers make more money that way, but the city does too. It would bring more of the density that the city wants/needs and surely more tax dollars. There would be more condos units to get property tax from, more hotel room stays to get tax money from, more office space to tax, etc. The buildings would just be worth more in general. Or maybe there's more to it than I understand?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:39 PM

In my opinion, they're not taking advantage of an opportunity to truly separate themselves from other spec buildings. 500 W. 2nd, 3rd and Colorado, and 5th and Colorado are all essentially the same in that they are glass boxes. I personally like glass buildings but I'd like to see more differentiation. If you were a firm would you pay a premium to headline a thin 700 ft tower rather than a 400 ft cube. Maybe? I just think that's the direction AMH should go with this one. With the required set backs on shoal creek, why not build the parking and new music venue along the creek in a midrise and then go 40-50 stories with a thin point tower, enabling views that won't be obstructed by Austin Proper and Greenwater Residential #2. You'd think tenants would pay a premium for a view as 500 W. 2nd won't have one on at least 2 faces of the tower. My hope is that Austin's first blockbuster office building will be the private portion of the civil courthouse project.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 5:06 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
If you were a firm would you pay a premium to headline a thin 700 ft tower rather than a 400 ft cube.
No. Smaller floor plates reduce a company's productivity because it increases average walking travel time between employees who thus have to be stationed on different levels. That's why office towers are usually squatter buildings, because companies really want as many employees as possible on as few levels as possible (to increase productivity and thus bang for buck).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 8:01 PM

You have to have tenants for the tall office towers that Houston/Dallas etc build. I'm thinking that it's better to have a fully leased 35 story building then constantly trying to fill a 50 story building. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them be built, but I think Houston and what not are not good comparisons for Austin. Houston is the 4th largest city in the country with plenty of fortune 500 companies to fill multiple floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin