HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Could you post a link to that article? That's important information.
I'll try...I still have the hard copy, when I get home from work tonight, and post it in Austin news thread.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:33 PM

Here is the article. I found searching on Google with the date provided in a prior post: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/ma..._47139_63889-1

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:32 AM

Thanks deerhoof, I just got home and saw you got this posted. Here's a very interesting add on to that article from search line type
atxne.ws/divide to see interactive maps and more info.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:34 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
What I find interesting is that Austin is nowhere near one of the most racially segregated places in the United States (despite the Kelsey quotes at the end -- he's wrong). Most economically segregated cities are also racially segregated by virtue of race correlating highly with wealth in this country.

That indicates that we have either a) plenty of wealthy minorities or b) plenty of poor whites. The truth is obviously a mix of those two things, but probably weighted toward the latter of them.

Last edited by wwmiv; Feb 26, 2015 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:56 PM

The report did not find that the City was highly segregated by income. On the contrary, it found the city had relatively low segregation of the wealthy. It didn't list the ranking for segregation of the poor. But there are many other cities much more segregated by income.

Austin ranked high because of a high ranking for "segregation" of the service class, working class & creative class. I put that in quotes because in no American metros are these classes highly segregated. The service class, in particular, is almost evenly dispersed in every large American metro. But Austin had high rankings on these three. Combined, its ranking on these three had a larger effect on the composite ranking than the wealth rankings.

TL;DR: Austin isn't the most economically segregated city in any meaningful sense.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBBradford View Post
The report did not find that the City was highly segregated by income. On the contrary, it found the city had relatively low segregation of the wealthy. It didn't list the ranking for segregation of the poor. But there are many other cities much more segregated by income.

Austin ranked high because of a high ranking for "segregation" of the service class, working class & creative class. I put that in quotes because in no American metros are these classes highly segregated. The service class, in particular, is almost evenly dispersed in every large American metro. But Austin had high rankings on these three. Combined, its ranking on these three had a larger effect on the composite ranking than the wealth rankings.

TL;DR: Austin isn't the most economically segregated city in any meaningful sense.
No. The only time the word creative appears:

Quote:
suggest that a large creative class also tends to exacerbate those divides.
I.E. just a causal claim, not because the data is limited in this regard.

Also:

Quote:
Residents in knowledge-based jobs, service-oriented jobs and working-class jobs -- such as manufacturing -- tend to live separately, the study found. Austin ranked among the 10 most-segregated metro areas by each of those three measures. Meanwhile, workers without a high school degree were more separated in Austin than in any other large metro area, according to the report.
In other words, every job ever created. That's economic segregation writ whole.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:23 PM

You've got to look at the actual data rather than relying on summaries. Service workers are not highly segregated in any American metro. They are evenly dispersed everywhere. Ditto with the creative class.

The service workers are not segregated in Austin. The creative class is not segregated in Austin. The measure the authors use show this. They are just slightly less dispersed here than in some other cities. It's like arguing which of a bunch of 5'6" guys is really the shortest.

Meanwhile, cities with much more dramatic levels of income segregation (e.g., Memphis, Cleveland) get a pass.

It's a pretty dumb ranking -- the sociological equivalent of one of those "most livable city" rankings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
You've got to look at the actual data rather than relying on summaries. Service workers are not highly segregated in any American metro. They are evenly dispersed everywhere. Ditto with the creative class.

The service workers are not segregated in Austin. The creative class is not segregated in Austin. The measure the authors use show this. They are just slightly less dispersed here than in some other cities. It's like arguing which of a bunch of 5'6" guys is really the shortest.

Meanwhile, cities with much more dramatic levels of income segregation (e.g., Memphis, Cleveland) get a pass.

It's a pretty dumb ranking -- the sociological equivalent of one of those "most livable city" rankings.
You and I have different standards here.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Noise may not be that big of a problem. West End condos pretty much all have to deal with the noise from a 24/7 stream of freight trains, squealing train tracks, and train whistles at unpredictable hours of the day and night. I think it might be a wash in the noise department.

$650 a square foot does seem like a lot of money, especially for east facing units which will basically have a view of the freeway on the lower floors. I don't think anything on that side of downtown sells or resells for anything like $650 a sq. ft. This building's marketing so far seems kind of amateurish to me.
You're right Austlar. The biggest noise problem over here are the f*%$ rowers captains that are out on the lake at 6 am. yelling on their bull horns. I-35 is a non issue.

BTW - I heard a rumor this thing was on hold due to environment issues?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Great points. Bloomberg writers are always trying to bring Texas down. I don't trust their articles - always worth verifying their "facts"

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:54 AM

JAM, you are still in the game! I have been wondering about you. Bring us up to speed about things in your end of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
JAM, you are still in the game! I have been wondering about you. Bring us up to speed about things in your end of downtown.
Just JAM'in Austlar! Been lurking, but been too busy to type You guys probably know more on whats going on than me. Most recently putting in lots of sidewalks around the Rainey area. Much needed! Try to stay warm!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 3:23 AM

I have it from an inside source, that this project has funding.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 4:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nice update. Can't wait to see this one break ground.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:56 AM

The Statesman has an article with updates and a rendering. Construction starts this fall.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...3948020.735692

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:02 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Thanks for the heads up. That rendering is sweet!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:20 AM

It looks like the W.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:21 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It looks like the W.
Brown?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:24 AM

In basic shape and form.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 4:49 PM
Honored Member

I hope it will have a lighter color and feel such as in that gorgeous rendering. I LOVE it as shown. I'm pretty sure that residential buildings won't ever be as dark as the W, except in the odd case such as the Austonian where the design calls for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin