HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:04 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Maybe I misread the site plans. Here's the relevant info:

How do you interpret that?
I was speaking with regards to the Scobey renderings/plan. The only one of the two that could “realistically“ be developed. But it’s just some groups pipe dream tbh.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 4:23 PM
Paradise

It is bizarre to me that they want that to be a tourist destination. Maybe I'm in the wrong, but is there really a demand for that, considering people could just go to Fort Worth to get the real thing?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 12:35 AM

New Josephine Street Development

There is an article in yesterday's SA Heron about a new Josephine Street development by the Lynd Company. Anyone interested in posting??
Looks like a great project!!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:17 PM

Here is the link to the article https://saheron.com/west-josephine-d...ent-lynd-saha/

I'd post the full text but those guys work hard and I'd rather you go to their site and consider donating to them if you enjoy their content (which is free to view.) Ben always has some really good insights with his articles

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
It is bizarre to me that they want that to be a tourist destination. Maybe I'm in the wrong, but is there really a demand for that, considering people could just go to Fort Worth to get the real thing?
I’ve Been to the Ft Worth Stockyards... once. I don’t get why people keep trying to link San Antonio to cowboy kitsch. It’s been tried and failed several times.

Having said that, I do think the Briscoe is a nice museum (cowboy less kitsch) I finally checked it for one exhibit and that was worthwhile.

As far as cattle drives, keeping animals in downtown San Antonio is cruel unless it would be in winter. That includes the buggy rides.

If they focused on Texas bizarre like the Buckhorn or the toilet seat museum it would be more interesting A good fit for Ripley’s.

They should build a giant accordion that takes 2 people to play. That would be cool.

PS: the whole Alamo tall tale redevelopment is kind of a disaster as well.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 10:00 PM

The Iron Mountain warehouse off Broadway (near Maverick Park) is on the market. I expect this one to generate some interest...another Hixon development would be nice.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
The Iron Mountain warehouse off Broadway (near Maverick Park) is on the market. I expect this one to generate some interest...another Hixon development would be nice.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline
Really love that building! Very excited to see it redeveloped into something that hopefully adds to the street life in that area. I walked by last night, it's going to be really nice when Maverick Park is redeveloped along with the new apartments across the street and further down Jones and of course the Broadway redevelopment!

I wonder how much a property like that goes for...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:14 PM

Does anyone have the total number of current residential units in downtown SA? I'm curious as to how many more apartments can be absorbed within the core.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Here is the link to the article https://saheron.com/west-josephine-d...ent-lynd-saha/

I'd post the full text but those guys work hard and I'd rather you go to their site and consider donating to them if you enjoy their content (which is free to view.) Ben always has some really good insights with his articles
From an article in today's Business Journal about this development:

Quote:
The project began as a joint venture with Fulcrum Development as a mixed-use development with a substantial commercial footprint, but plans have changed since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, according to David Lynd, president and CEO of the Lynd Co.

"As a result of the pandemic we wanted to de-risk the project and have elected to remove the commercial component," Lynd said in a statement. "Now it is a pure residential play being headed by Lynd."
All I can say is BOO!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
From an article in today's Business Journal about this development:

All I can say is BOO!
Do you think commercial will return to pre COVID levels? I’m not saying it won’t but the world has changed.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Do you think commercial will return to pre COVID levels? I’m not saying it won’t but the world has changed.
The world has changed FOR NOW. Long term thinking is better than short term thinking.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:35 PM

https://saheron.com/conservation-soc...ck-plaza-plan/

Conservation Society blasts Maverick Plaza renovation plan fearing NIOSA impact

The reduction of public space in the $12 million Maverick Plaza renovation plan at La Villita drew sharp criticism from The Conservation Society of San Antonio during the Historic and Design Review Commission meeting on Wednesday.

For more than 70 years during Fiesta, the group has held A Night in Old San Antonio...

https://sanantonioreport.org/12m-mav...3-restaurants/

$12M Maverick Plaza Redevelopment Plan to Feature 3 Restaurants

The La Villita Historic Arts Village and Mayor Maury Maverick Plaza play host to many events, including the recent Diwali Festival of Lights, Dia de los Muertos celebrations, and the forthcoming Coffee Festival in 2018.

By 2021, the village and plaza could...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
That area could use a convenience store.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 7:40 PM
James

at 120 W Josephine St looking north.

Lynd, SAHA plan $58M mixed-income apartment development next to Pearl

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 21, 2020, 8:13am CDT Updated Aug 21, 2020, 10:16am CDT
A high-end apartment complex is planned steps away from Pearl, bringing 259 units aimed at various income levels through a public-private partnership.

The San Antonio Housing Authority will partner with the Shavano Park-based Lynd Co. on the $58.3 million project at 120 Josephine St. The development is planned to include 220 one-bedroom units and 39 two-bedroom units from 464 to 1,350 square feet as well as a clubhouse, pool, 340 internal parking spaces and fitness center, according to SAHA documents.

The Housing Facility Corp. will acquire the land and enter a 75-year lease with Josephine Apartments LP, which is jointly owned by a Lynd affiliate, according to SAHA. Bartlett Cocke General Contractors will build the project in conjunction with the SAHA affiliate San Antonio Housing Facility Corp., which will also serve as a general contractor, exempting materials purchased for the project from sales tax. Through the partnership, Lynd also will be exempt from property taxes.

The Business Journal previously reported that the Materials Marketing headquarters on the property would be demolished and that the San Antonio City Council approved rezoning in March from industrial to both multifamily and commercial.

The apartment complex will provide half of the units at market rate and half at or less than 80% of the area's median income, with some at less than 60%, according to SAHA documents. Units are estimated to range from 464 square feet to 1,350 square feet.

“We wanted to make sure there was true affordability in this development, and to make sure we could get it properly financed," said Timothy Alcott, real estate and legal services officer for SAHA, adding that the proximity to the River Walk and downtown will be a key driver for demand.

“We’re technically not in Pearl, but certainly in walking distance," Alcott said. "The market-rate units are going to lease up extremely quickly.”

The project began as a joint venture with Fulcrum Development as a mixed-use development with a substantial commercial footprint, but plans have changed since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, according to David Lynd, president and CEO of the Lynd Co.

"As a result of the pandemic we wanted to de-risk the project and have elected to remove the commercial component," Lynd said in a statement. "Now it is a pure residential play being headed by Lynd."

Alcott said SAHA became involved with the project around February or March, and that the relationship between SAHA and Lynd began when SAHA President and CEO David Nisivoccia met as panelists at a conference hosted by city of San Antonio.

The construction start date has not yet been established but will take about 21 months, Lynd said.

SAHA and the Lynd Co. recently broke ground on another development with a similarly structured deal near Alamo Ranch. Alcott said that developments with a large ratio of market-rate units will not be the norm for SAHA moving forward, but that they provide revenue for more deeply affordable units and supplement projects utilizing 9% tax credits from the city.
"We want to provide as many deeply affordable units as possible," Alcott said. "The best direct way for housing authorities to build deeply affordable units is the tax credit program."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 8:38 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I’m digging it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 9:26 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Green roof!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 12:47 AM

Stunning!!! Love the sunset!!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:02 PM

It’s... okay. Why are there so many materials used on these formulaic projects? The absolute low point is the mistake built on Flores and Caesar Chavez, which randomly changes materials every 15’ with no rhyme or reason. On the lack of commercial/retail space there should be no tax incentives without true mixed uses. We are all paying for cheap developer crap designed by fourth rate architects who pump out 50 of these across the country per year. I’ve had about enough of these wood framed wrap projects. I used to roll my eyes at people who criticized them until seeing them literally fall apart after 5 years in action.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:11 PM

Is that a *rooftop* pool? Holy cow that kicks ass. One of the big problems with these big apartment buildings is the courtyard pools, they don't get much sun except in the middle of the day. I haven't ever thought about actually putting the pool and amenities on *top* of the parking garage. What a great solution! Better sun and better views!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:58 PM

A new article out in the SABJ mentions that they are looking at two options for
120 Josephine St, one has no retail and the other has 3,000-10,000 square feet of retail. Most of the decision will be up to whether or not whoever finances will take on the risk of mixed use and if there is another outbreak that shuts things down again. That's pretty good news. I completely agree with the idea of a convenience store in the area. Many times I've wanted to grab a drink or snack to walk along the river but Larder (with very limited hours) is the only real option that isn't a restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio