HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:03 PM
Kodachrome

Resources Building $461 Million Renovation
This fifty eight year old State owned office building is currently undergoing a $461 million dollar renovation. Built in 1964, the Post War International Style building was the tallest structure on the Sacramento skyline when completed the fourth largest office building west of Chicago. The 17-story 657,000-square-foot building cost $15 million to construct at the time.

Due to its age, the Resources Building at 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 is considered historic and subject to review by the State Historic Preservation Office. It will cost $688 per square foot to renovate the building and is scheduled to be completed in spring of 2025. This project includes changes required to meet current occupant life safety codes, seismic deficiencies, and occupant health requirements. Back in 2015 the estimated cost for renovation was $155 million, ten times the structure’s original cost.

Below are some links for further information.

https://esd.dof.ca.gov/Documents/bcp...60_BCP4206.pdf

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/RESD/Events/P...DGS-Sacramento

https://www.turnerconstruction.com/n...urces-Building

https://www.google.com/search?q=CA+R...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by innov8; Sep 21, 2022 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:49 PM

I find it odd that there isn't a rendering on the web of what the building is going look like after renovation - unless of course they are only gutting the inside and not the outside. I was under the impression that there would be a new exterior skin.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:33 PM

Was it really the 4th tallest office building in the west in 1964? That doesn't seem right but I could be giving the west coast too much credit

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Was it really the 4th tallest office building in the west in 1964? That doesn't seem right but I could be giving the west coast too much credit
"Largest," not "tallest."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
"Largest," not "tallest."
Ah, that makes more sense, I should have caught that

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 11:42 PM
4give me for I have Zin'd

It's the 2nd ugliest building in downtown Sacramento, IMO!!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:58 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Waste of money

California’s office buildings are mostly empty so there’s no need to renovate that building at enormous costs. Instead it should be demolished completely. The land it sits on can be converted into open space or residential multi family apartments.

If they are intent on renovating it, then it sounds like it will be a complete tear down to the steel and rebuild.

But still; knocking it down sounds like the more cost effective course of action.

It’s already shortsighted that they’re moving forward with the Capitol annex demolition instead of renovating the existing structure.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 6:37 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

CADA J & 14th

It appears the site has (finally) been fenced off.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
It appears the site has (finally) been fenced off.
Do you mean 14th & N?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Do you mean 14th & N?
Oops yes.

Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 7:21 PM

Plans unveiled for 450-500 Bercut Drive in River District: 825 units overlooking river, and a restaurant
By Ben van der Meer – Senior Reporter, Sacramento Business Journal
Nov 17, 2022
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...cut-drive.html

Quote:
Coming to Sacramento's River District: river views for residents and diners in an ambitious new project proposed for Bercut Drive.

Representatives of architecture firm LPA Inc. unveiled plans Wednesday for what appears to be called American River One, an 825-unit project across a series of buildings and including commercial space at 450-500 Bercut Drive.

American River One would have two buildings, each about 200 feet tall, on its western side, sliding down to a shorter one on the east. Those heights would be at or even slightly above current limits...
  • Project site: 3 acres. Two properties in the River District that used to be the Rusty Duck and the Hungry Hunter.
  • Size: Both buildings would be 693,913 square feet
  • Height: As mentioned above they would be 200 feet tall on the western (I-5 and Sacramento river) side. (The American River would be to the north.) The buildings would be shorter on the eastern side. (I don't know, it looks like buildings might be about 16-18 stories?)
  • Parking and Amenities: Includes a two story parking structure. It would have 318 spaces. It would also be a podium for the two towers, and have deck that includes a pool, garden, and restaurant.
  • Opposition: The building heights will be at or possibly a little above the current limits for those properties. I am sure the city will update the height limits for the area. However, I am also sure there will be (probably weak) opposition.
  • Owner: IM Investment Group, LLC bought one of the properties in 2018 for $1,150,000. They also bought the other property later in 2018. Steven Carl Ayers is associated with IM Investment Group.
  • Current Project Stage: VERY EARLY. The project hasn't even been submitted to the city for design and site review yet.
  • Price Tag: A BUTT-LOAD. No price was given. Obviously, it's really early, so the project cost would not be known yet. Still, a development like this would probably cost around $200 million in a mid-western or southern city. However, in California, I think this is easily a $300 million project.
  • Funding: After the project is entitled, the owners will [try to] find partners (with deep pockets) who can get it built. I have an idea... What about CALPERS?

WE SHALL SEE...

Last edited by snfenoc; Nov 18, 2022 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:18 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Plans unveiled for 450-500 Bercut Drive in River District: 825 units overlooking river, and a restaurant
By Ben van der Meer – Senior Reporter, Sacramento Business Journal
Nov 17, 2022
That location is awful... the western facing side will see and hear 10 lanes
of freeway traffic and it's a rough neighborhood day or night. I guess if they fence it off like
a resort so that it's self contained some people will find it desirable?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
That location is awful... the western facing side will see and hear 10 lanes
of freeway traffic and it's a rough neighborhood day or night. I guess if they fence it off like
a resort so that it's self contained some people will find it desirable?
I was one of the first people to buy a home in the bridge district in 2014 and people told me the same things at the time. That I was crazy. It's in the middle of an industrial district, right next to 8 lanes of Hwy 50 freeway, surrounded by homeless and crime. And it was. The first two years of living there was hell. We couldn't leave anything on our porches or driveways (furniture, pillows, even shoes) because they would be stolen. I can't tell you how many times I had to call 911 that first year because of illegal fires and fire pits along the river (where the Barn is now) that got out of control and started brush fires. BUT, over time as the neighborhood grew and more people moved in it got better every year. And I knew that would be the case, I knew what I was initially buying into. I just recently sold that house for double what I paid for it in 2014 and moved to another part of West Sac for personal reasons.

Point being, yeah that's not the best area now, but it'll never improve unless people are willing to be a part of it. And at least from my experience, there are always people who are willing to be the first ones in. There are a lot of plans for that area, and while I know projects don't move here as quickly as some of us here would like, things will change over time. It's just a matter of who will be first, and these plans are a great step in that direction.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 11:21 PM

If this happens, 450 N St might actually become the first real highrise housing in the city (this is the building that has the permanent scaffolding because the windows keep falling out).

Quote:
Downtown dinosaurs: Lawmakers plan to turn empty downtown Sacramento state buildings into housing

BY STEVE LARGE
DECEMBER 5, 2022 / 11:00 PM / CBS SACRAMENTO

SACRAMENTO — They have become downtown dinosaurs. Massive state office buildings that serve a style of in-person work are from a bygone, pre-pandemic era.

Now, there's a plan to convert some of that space into home sweet homes.

Lawmakers are looking at a transformation for a couple of massive structures: the 24-story tall Tax and Fee Administration Building on 450 N Street, and the half-a-million square foot Employment Development Department building on 800 Capitol Mall.

They are both nearly empty of workers and could become the first tests for a state effort to turn post-pandemic empty office space into housing. Sacramento Assemblymember Kevin McCarty is working to transform empty state buildings into housing.
https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/n...-into-housing/

Last edited by SacTownAndy; Dec 8, 2022 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:49 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
If this happens, 450 N St might actually become the first real highrise housing in the city (this is the building that has the permanent scaffolding because the windows keep falling out).

https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/n...-into-housing/
Yeah those windows and frames are going to have to be replaced. How long has that been going on, 15 years?

Depending on the price, I would consider buying a place in a former State building. M

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:30 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Does anyone have a sacbee subscription?

Four high-rise residential towers proposed along Sacramento’s American River
https://www.sacbee.com/news/business...269976032.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Does anyone have a sacbee subscription?
I do not have a subscription to the SacBee rag.

However, the SacBee article is in reference to the SBJ article that I posted last month. (See above)

At the time of the SBJ article, the plans had not been filed yet.

However, if you want more information, I suggest you go to the Sacramento Agency Counter.

It costs nothing to sign up, and you can access more information if you do.

For me, it is easier to choose the "map view" of all the projects/applications. If you zoom into the area of 500 Bercut Drive (almost immediately to the east of I-5), and click on the yellow dot, the website will show all the plans for that site (on the left-hand pane).

The most recent site plan (submitted on 12-12-2022) includes information on the project name - American Rive One - and the following summary:
Quote:
Request for a 653,000 square foot, high-rise, mixed-use development with 826 dwelling units, 4,566 square feet of commercial, and 325 parking spaces on a 3.06-acre project site within the General Commercial (C-2-SPD) zone and River District Special Planning District (SPD). The proposal includes a two-story podium with three residential towers (12-, 16-, and 18-stories). This request requires director-level site plan and design review with a deviation for height.
The summary does not mention four towers. It says there will be THREE: 12-stories, 16-stories; and 18-stories.

With that said, the plan drawings seem to show two towers that rise to 18 floors. The 18-story towers seem to be connected by a 10-story "bridge" building. To the east, I see a 14-story tower with a couple 10-story attached portions. It seems like all the towers are sitting on the same, 2-story podium. It's hard to tell because the towers are not totally separate from each other. (Again, they are all on the same podium.) Plus, I am not good at reading plans. With each elevation change, I see different things. Also, the plans themselves say there are 4 buildings.

A few lines below the summary, there is a "Open Documents Pane" link. If you click on that, you will see two PDF documents. The larger document (30.88 MB) has numerous drawings. The slightly smaller document (28.52 MB) has more information about environmental stuff, including an arborist report, water supply information, etc.

I hope this satisfies your need for pictures

Regarding the design, I am not in love with it (I wish it were taller), but I do like it. The project seems more grown up than other Sacramento projects - almost like mid-century residential apartments you would see overlooking the bay.

The name interests me: American River One. Does this indicate a phased project? Would there be an "American River Two?"

If this project does end up happening, I just hope it does not become an island unto itself for over a decade, like the Cannery Place Apartments about 3/4 of a mile to the east (on North 7th Street and Cannery Avenue).

Last edited by snfenoc; Dec 17, 2022 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:51 PM

Updated article in the Biz Journal says:

Quote:
The apartments would be spread across four towers of 12, 16, 18 and 18 stories, with a two-story podium in between the towers. At 194 feet, the tallest of those buildings would be the tallest in the River District, the emerging redevelopment area between the Railyards and the American River.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:08 AM

American River One Plans and Renderings

Here are some plans and renderings from the document filed with the city:

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 11:30 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Lot X revised /shorter but more units

New plans for one of the few remaining development sites on Capitol Mall call for a slightly shorter residential tower, but more overall units and a second tower as well.

Nashville, Tennessee-based Southern Land Co. filed new plans with the city of Sacramento last week for the site known as Lot X at Third Street and Capitol Mall, now planned for two towers, of 26 and 14 stories, and a total of 438 rental units.

The shorter building replaces a five-story office building proposed in Southern Land Co.'s original application, filed in late 2021. Southern Land Co.'s release said the company dropped that plan after studying workforce needs and patterns, though office or flex space is expected to be included in the 14-story building.

Sacramento Business Journal
~Ben van de Meer

Full Article
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...s.html?ana=maz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area