HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

a tour of the newly restored high bridge aka nyc's original high line

the high bridge aka the original high line reopened. i’ve walked across it a few times already. i thought i would do an annotated tour thread.

big news uptown. after being closed down for 45 years (off and on between 1960-1970), and after years of recent renovation, the old high bridge aqueduct walkway in new york has finally reopened. its around 1450ft across/140ft tall and it spans between the highbridge neighborhood in the bronx and washington heights in upper manhattan.

from the daily news:

High Bridge, the oldest standing bridge in New York City, officially open to the public after 45 years

BY GINGER ADAMS OTIS , CHRIS SOMMERFELDT
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Tuesday, June 9, 2015, 7:51 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 10:30 AM

It took 45 years and a slew of Daily News editorials, but the Bronx and Manhattan are once again connected by the historic High Bridge.

Community groups, elected officials and local residents cheered Tuesday at a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the historic span that dates to the mid-1800s.

The city’s oldest standing bridge connects Washington Heights to the Bronx’s Highbridge neighborhoods, over the Harlem River.

Part of the Croton Aqueduct system, it was once a popular promenade that sank into disrepair and was closed in the 1970s.

U.S. Rep. Jose Serrano (D-Bronx) gave a shout out to The News’ for its editorial backing of the $61.8 million restoration that began in 2012.

“I’m going to do something that elected officials don't usually do and that is to thank Michael Aronson from the New York Daily News,” he said, commending Aronson's editorials over the years.

“I can't wait to leisurely, with sunglasses on, stroll along the high bridge and hope that no one recognizes me,” the Congressman added.

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer said the High Bridge is “like the eighth wonder of the world.”

Funding for the High Bridge restoration came from federal earmarks, an allocation from the Parks Department to rebuild its ramps, and a $50 million investment in city infrastructure that was part of Mayor Bloomberg’s 2007 PlaNYC.

The bridge, along 172nd St. and Amsterdam Avenue, is close to Bennett Park, Manhattan’s highest point.

more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2252538

and more on plaNYC:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc/html/about/about.shtml

the high bridge aqueduct was built between 1837-1848.

more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_B...(New_York_City)

historic views

the water pipe line was rebuilt many times, from 36in pipes originally to 90in pipes (1861-2)

the water tower pump was built between 1866-72 to add additional water pressure due to the advent of flush toilets

victorian era promenaders

stereoscopic view photos

the adjacent harlem river speedway (1894-1964), gradually incorporated into a highway

a short youtube video clip from 1902

https://youtu.be/4Ogombl1VuA

there was a big preservation fight in the 1920s over tearing the high bridge down due to it being a waterway hazard.
instead, a compromise was made to build a steel arch over the river.

the old reservoir was rebuilt into a city pool in the 1930s

the grand stairway -- it had to go when robert moses made the speedway into a highway

a long era of decline -- the walkway was closed off and on between 1960-70, until closed for good in 1970.
occasional parks dept tours were held until the 1990s, until it was deemed unsafe.

here it is around 2009 prior to the beginning of reconstruction (formally began in 2013)

reconstruction photos

the rusted out final water pipe

pipe supports

a concrete plug for the original 36in era water pipe

and last are my own recent photos on the walk from the bronx to manhattan

highbridge park on the bronx side was renovated in 2001 for $739K

as you can see although the walkway opened in june, they are still working on it.

the grand reopening of high bridge festival is july 25, 2015 ---- more info:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/events/20...ridge-festival

*** i hope you enjoyed a walk across the high bridge aqueduct, nyc’s newly restored original high line ***

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:49 PM
Community Guy

That was one of the most interesting photo tours ever posted to SSP, thanks.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:56 AM

That bridge is a thing of beauty.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

something in the nypost today about it:

http://nypost.com/2015/07/18/finally...own-high-line/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:00 PM

fantastic, never knew about this and now i've got to go walk across it. Awesome job, thank you

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos