HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
It looks like this article is reaching quite a bit. Even their graph shows there's an initial benefit to increasing lanes, but the side effect is infrastructure is then built up.... this could be from increased housing, businesses, etc just capturing the benefits of the new road.

So the article just states "more roads... more buildings... more traffic" But that's mostly because city populations continue to increase, that traffic has to go somewhere.

Look at SJ, we have a nice divided highway out to Quispamsis, but really the traffic is non-existent, mostly because the population has been stagnant/decreasing for decades.
Of course there's an initial benefit. No one disputes that. The problem is that the long term effect is that the road just becomes busy again. If the issue you are looking to solve is that there is congestion, then building more lanes doesn't solve that. All you're doing is inviting more traffic, which causes more problems.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The question I would have is can Prospect Street be upgraded somehow? Does the city see a need there? Do the citizens voice any displeasure about it? Or will it remain as it is indefinitely? Only asking.
Obviously no one likes the traffic situation on Prospect but I'm not sure what you could do about it. The busy section between Regent and Smythe is already mostly controlled access so to speak.

The opening of the Route 8/Smythe Street roundabout already gave people a way to avoid that section of Prospect and that has improved things quite a bit.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Obviously no one likes the traffic situation on Prospect but I'm not sure what you could do about it. The busy section between Regent and Smythe is already mostly controlled access so to speak.

The opening of the Route 8/Smythe Street roundabout already gave people a way to avoid that section of Prospect and that has improved things quite a bit.
in all reality though, I can't see much changing with Prospect Street in the foreseeable future. I've never heard that any changes there are even on the city's radar.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:07 PM

Yeah, Prospect street is probably locked in for now. As I suggested earlier, the stretch between Regent and Smythe should probably become 4 lane with signal controlled turning lanes. (It's almost there now). But otherwise, the only realistic way to fix it is to get traffic going in other directions; Bishop Drive and Route-8 and Regent/New Maryland Highway are the main areas to focus on.

I do believe we are eventually going to need a major boulevard (4 lane mostly-controlled access) linking Uptown (and the highways) and Downtown. Regent and Smythe are the two best options to get there eventually, though Hanwell/Woodstock might do in a pinch. Brunswick to Waterloo to Forest Hill (linking to the end of the PMB) might do as well, with a lot of work.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Look at SJ, we have a nice divided highway out to Quispamsis, but really the traffic is non-existent, mostly because the population has been stagnant/decreasing for decades.
I'm sorry but what? Quispamsis' population has increased substantially in the past twenty years, enough so that the divided highway between SJ and Quispamsis is often filled with traffic at peak hours. Off-ramps are usually backed up, particularly the Station Street exit in Saint John on weekday mornings. Traffic on this highway, especially compared to the rest of the Maritimes, is substantially noticeable.

I know it's a fun dialogue that SJ's population is stagnant or declining but that simply isn't the case and hasn't been the case for the past few years.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I do believe we are eventually going to need a major boulevard (4 lane mostly-controlled access) linking Uptown (and the highways) and Downtown. Regent and Smythe are the two best options to get there eventually, though Hanwell/Woodstock might do in a pinch. Brunswick to Waterloo to Forest Hill (linking to the end of the PMB) might do as well, with a lot of work.
Why do you think this is something that is needed? Keep in mind that generally speaking, a three lane street with a middle turning lane generally has the same capacity as a four lane street. Generally speaking this is already how Smythe and Regent are set up for most of their length.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Why do you think this is something that is needed? Keep in mind that generally speaking, a three lane street with a middle turning lane generally has the same capacity as a four lane street. Generally speaking this is already how Smythe and Regent are set up for most of their length.
Is there a congestion problem on Smythe & Regent?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:59 PM

Old Navy officially opens at Regent Mall on: Saturday, September 7th!

Quote:
"Experience. More. We’re very excited to announce that Old Navy will be opening In Regent Mall on September 7th. The store looks great. We hope you will stop by".
https://www.facebook.com/RegentMallNB/posts/2388271484587599

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'm sorry but what? Quispamsis' population has increased substantially in the past twenty years, enough so that the divided highway between SJ and Quispamsis is often filled with traffic at peak hours. Off-ramps are usually backed up, particularly the Station Street exit in Saint John on weekday mornings. Traffic on this highway, especially compared to the rest of the Maritimes, is substantially noticeable.

I know it's a fun dialogue that SJ's population is stagnant or declining but that simply isn't the case and hasn't been the case for the past few years.
Not to mention only a few years ago this highway almost became the only 3 lane highway in New Brunswick. Traffic volumes are insane and adding a lane wouldn’t decrease the number of cars on the road rather encourage more people. The same thing can be said about busy city streets like Prospect in Fredericton. I would argue Regent is at a perfect point and shouldn’t be expanded.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Not to mention only a few years ago this highway almost became the only 3 lane highway in New Brunswick. Traffic volumes are insane and adding a lane wouldn’t decrease the number of cars on the road rather encourage more people. The same thing can be said about busy city streets like Prospect in Fredericton. I would argue Regent is at a perfect point and shouldn’t be expanded.
I think the third bridge crossing will also lessen the volume on Regent..

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
I think the third bridge crossing will also lessen the volume on Regent..
Anything that will divert the traffic that uses Prospect as a drive thru to somewhere else is beneficial. The more cars that can avoid Prospect the better.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Is there a congestion problem on Smythe & Regent?
Both can be busy at times but it's not that bad.

As mentioned above, a third bridge at the western end of town would divert a lot of traffic off of Regent/Smythe and out of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Ah, maybe I'm downplaying the amount of traffic that comes through in the morning. I rarely deal with the morning traffic, but often deal with late afternoon traffic, which I have found to not be anything significant at all.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Both can be busy at times but it's not that bad.

As mentioned above, a third bridge at the western end of town would divert a lot of traffic off of Regent/Smythe and out of downtown.
True. I imagine a 3rd bridge won't happen for awhile.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Ah, maybe I'm downplaying the amount of traffic that comes through in the morning. I rarely deal with the morning traffic, but often deal with late afternoon traffic, which I have found to not be anything significant at all.
I don't travel that highway often but when I do, it's usually pretty busy.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:57 AM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Old Navy officially opens at Regent Mall on: Saturday, September 7th!

https://www.facebook.com/RegentMallNB/posts/2388271484587599

Yup Big Blue just got a part time job there for the discounts

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Yup Big Blue just got a part time job there for the discounts
Excellent addition to the mall!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah, Prospect street is probably locked in for now. As I suggested earlier, the stretch between Regent and Smythe should probably become 4 lane with signal controlled turning lanes. (It's almost there now). But otherwise, the only realistic way to fix it is to get traffic going in other directions; Bishop Drive and Route-8 and Regent/New Maryland Highway are the main areas to focus on.

Any time I used it, I never really liked that Forest Hill Rd. connection to the highway. Just something about it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 10:56 PM

I noticed this evening that Regent Optical (162 Regent Street) is moving but I didn't quite catch where when I drove by. I wonder what the fate is for this building?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 10:48 AM

Was looking at the air canada schedule this morning and now has the yfc to yyz flights in nov on an Airbus A321-200 twice daily (rouge), also the case for yqm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces