HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I don't think there will be any connection with the road where you turn off Cesar Chavez to the highschool or park area. Even the renderings show there is no drive on that side. The entrances will be on the 5th Street side.
Right, but they're going to be on the south side of the tracks, so cars will have to drive over the tracks at Pressler to get in

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyPiGuy View Post
Right, but they're going to be on the south side of the tracks, so cars will have to drive over the tracks at Pressler to get in
I think a Pressler connection over or under the tracks has been under consideration for some time now. It was part of the Lamar Beach Vision Plan a few years back. There was some opposition to the idea based on concerns that it might generate a lot of additional traffic down into the park and lakefront. To the extent that it would provide better access down to the park area, I think it is a good idea, and it is a seeming necessity in order for this condo project to be viable.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:32 AM

It needs to be pointed out that these renderings leave out the giant, awful power lines that will run between these million dollar condos and their view of the lake. I don't know about you but I ain't paying $1.5m for some power lines to be hanging right off my balcony.

So power lines on one side and train tracks on the other. Sorry, the buildings looks nice and I love the new ped/bike connections to Clarksville, but no thanks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:14 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
It needs to be pointed out that these renderings leave out the giant, awful power lines that will run between these million dollar condos and their view of the lake. I don't know about you but I ain't paying $1.5m for some power lines to be hanging right off my balcony.

So power lines on one side and train tracks on the other. Sorry, the buildings looks nice and I love the new ped/bike connections to Clarksville, but no thanks.
I forgot about that - here is the streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2744...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I forgot about that - here is the streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2744...8192?entry=ttu
Also love how the rendering trys to obfuscate all the little league fields!!!!! ... and the parents and the parking and the noise ! LOL!
And those ( hopefully) ain't goin' anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 6:10 PM

The Historical Landmark Commission agenda for Aug 2 has 96 Rainey (corner of Rainey and Driskill) up for total demolition. Currently looks like a bar, situated next to Lustre Pearl, and of course sharing the rest of the block with the Modern and the Quincy. Anyone heard anything about why this one is going away?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The Historical Landmark Commission agenda for Aug 2 has 96 Rainey (corner of Rainey and Driskill) up for total demolition. Currently looks like a bar, situated next to Lustre Pearl, and of course sharing the rest of the block with the Modern and the Quincy. Anyone heard anything about why this one is going away?
It's going to be rebuilt as a multi-story bar with twice the square footage called Palace Laundry. This tweet (or X?) as the elevations:

https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1670487212285100032

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's going to be rebuilt as a multi-story bar with twice the square footage called Palace Laundry. This tweet (or X?) as the elevations:

Nice, thanks for the catch. I must have missed your original XtweetX back in June.

Looks like even the bars are densing up on Rainey….

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Lame, the bungalow contributes more to Rainey's vibe than that warehouse-looking dungeon.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Lame, the bungalow contributes more to Rainey's vibe than that warehouse-looking dungeon.
agreed... .that's truly awful.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 9:39 PM

No one goes to Alibi or now Placeholder. Something new is definitely welcome. Will be interesting to see how the new building turns out.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:58 AM

Frio Apartments

11-stories along I-35

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:22 AM

The listed $100,000 cost will not be enough for an 11-story building. But it is Wilson Capital, so maybe they are really only planning for 2-stories?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 4:50 AM

That whole old Concordia site was a real let down. No where as tall as I thought the buildings would be.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:22 PM
World Traveler

I don't recall it having the intention of height...but it was more than a few days ago, so I may be mistaken. I thought that it was just shooting for density, in which case it did achieve that goal. Nothing overly impressive, especially with the giant garages, but better than nothing - especially for that time. We would want more now, of course.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
That whole old Concordia site was a real let down. No where as tall as I thought the buildings would be.
Does it help to know that the original developer for the Concordia site went to jail for 5 years on failed promises for the site?

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...rm/9822642007/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:34 PM

Hotel and Restaurant Project Planned for Downtown Austin’s ‘Lawyer District’

Quote:
A rezoning case filed earlier this month for an assembly of two adjacent properties near the intersection of West Avenue and West Ninth Street could bring more life to the so-called “Lawyer District” on the west end of downtown Austin, a region largely excluded from the rest of downtown’s denser zoning and defined by older single-family homes often converted to legal offices alongside other light commercial uses.

While there are a number of historic properties in the region worthy of preservation, the area’s current character does not contain the vibrant street life enjoyed by other areas of downtown due to a lack of restaurant, bar, or other retail uses — but that could change soon, with a rezoning passed earlier this year by City Council enabling a plan by local developer LV Collective for a cocktail lounge with an additional hotel or residential use in a historic former residence dating back to 1901 at the southwest corner of West 10th Street and West Avenue at 707 West 10th Street.

Now, it appears the same developer is looking to rezone another two adjacent former homes located directly south across the alley from the 707 West 10th Street site, with an application filed earlier this month for a rezoning from General Office (GO) use to the more permissive downtown mixed-use zoning category with a conditional overlay limiting development on the site to 60 feet (DMU-CO) for the residences located at 903 West Avenue and 704 West Ninth Street — both properties are owned as of this year by LLCs connected with LV Collective. As described in the permit, the developer’s goal for the two buildings is not to demolish the homes, but instead adapt them into a commercial project with hotel and restaurant uses.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 8:48 PM

Towers has a bunch of details and renderings of the Frio project. Hopefully the city will allow for increased height if the I-35 expansion cuts into their lot. https://austin.towers.net/avoiding-a...lyn@towers.net

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 8:38 PM

Urban Strata

Quote:
Urban Strata is a multifamily residential development located in the hills outside of Austin, Texas. The project consists of 126 residential units with a variety of common spaces such as a gym, business center, dog park, and rooftop patio. The central courtyard contains lavishly landscaped outdoor spaces with a private pool deck, grill area, firepit, and outdoor seating nooks. Urban Strata is one of the many components of the large mix-use PUD where pedestrian access is encouraged by several connectors. Strategically placed parking garages allow the development to be surrounded by nature.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 1:50 PM
World Traveler

^^ I like it with plants for a low-rise. Without plants...meh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin