HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:04 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I mean just look at the success of Schuylkill banks and the trail. You don't need businesses for it to be successful. The path right now is arguably too popular and insanely crowded from the Art Museum to South Street bridge from April-October. There's enough overflow from that success alone to demand a parallel path with stairs up to JFK, Market, Walnut, Chestnut and South bridges. Adding a few cafes and a bar/restaurant would be a no brainer but I don't think it's essential. Cover up 76 with a soundproof wall, add some docks for booze cruises and kayaks while you're at it. It's a minute walk from 30th street station, 5 mins from Penn/Drexel and 10 minutes from UCity's financial core.

This plan was more realistic and better IMO:

I love this

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:42 PM

I think this article may hint at what's coming to the empty lot on 2nd between Market and Chestnut.

250th anniversary celebration for Navy and Marine Corps will be Philadelphia's 'opening ceremony' for 2026
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ries-2025.html

On Nov. 10, the Marine Corps Ball will be held at the Bellevue Hotel on South Broad Street in the same ballroom where the first ball was hosted in 1925, Leone said. That same day, the Marine Corps will dedicate a rebuilt version of Tun Tavern, a historic building in Old City where the first marines were recruited in 1775. The new building will be located near its original site, now occupied by Interstate 95, and will be a permanent, operating tavern.

The rendering on the The Tun Tavern Legacy Foundation, Inc page sure seems to suggest the same.
https://thetun.org/

Last edited by AbuJamrah; Apr 25, 2024 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Added image

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Is Allbirds closed for good or just temp? I don't feel like travelling to KOP just to get my shoes. Also speaking of shoe stores Philadelphia running store has no location in center city?
Philadelphia Runner has a store on Walnut...?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Philadelphia Runner has a store on Walnut...?
Quite literally right next to Allbirds as well lol.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Allbirds is also closing. Appears to be part of a larger brand problem, but the Philly location usually gets the ax first.

^ And great pictures everyone. Someone needs to produce a coffee table book!
Man Walnut Street can’t catch a damn break with these brands struggling and filing for bankruptcy. What’s that this year alone? 4 or 5? More? Outdoor Voices, Allbirds, Express, Bonobos… Scotch & Soda - was that this year? Atmos - was that this year? Just craziness. One step forward and one step back continuously for Walnut Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Is allbirds definitely closing? I saw in Reddit that it was just closed for repairs.

P. S., love the photo update Tony, as always!
It’s closing for good. Allbirds is struggling as a company and closing numerous stores.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Is Allbirds closed for good or just temp? I don't feel like travelling to KOP just to get my shoes. Also speaking of shoe stores Philadelphia running store has no location in center city?
I haven't seen any formal confirmation it's permanently closed. The reason it closed in the first place was due to unsafe structure violations for a bunch of buildings on that block (including the Allbirds one). But considering the company is struggling financially right now and plans to close a significant portion of their stores it makes sense that it just won't reopen. It wouldn't surprise me if King of Prussia and others close down in the next few months too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:00 PM
Philly Pholly

Unbelievable to me the city has no master plans.
How about a "Transportation Center" /Bus Terminal directly connected to 30th Street Station the rails/METRO.
Hidden behind riverfront residences. Topped with elaborate, indoor/outdoor event center.
Reimagining Schuylkill Avenue as "SCHUYLKILL BOULEVARD".
Transportation Center 4-25-24 resized by , on Flickr

Transportation Center 4-25-24 b resized by , on Flickr

I'd rather see the CSX rails capped
Schuylkill Banks 3-17-24 b cropped by , on Flickr

Line both banks with boat-friendly boardwalks. A series of ramps connected to each bridge. Directly connected to MLK.
Schuylkill River cropped by , on Flickr

Skyscraper fantasy.
Schuylkill Banks Entertainment District.
Schuylkill Banks Deck lined with restaurant/retail.
Schuylkill Banks Entertainment District 3-29-24 resized by , on Flickr

thank you very much

Last edited by SEFTA; Apr 25, 2024 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuJamrah View Post
I think this article may hint at what's coming to the empty lot on 2nd between Market and Chestnut.

250th anniversary celebration for Navy and Marine Corps will be Philadelphia's 'opening ceremony' for 2026

On Nov. 10, the Marine Corps Ball will be held at the Bellevue Hotel on South Broad Street in the same ballroom where the first ball was hosted in 1925, Leone said. That same day, the Marine Corps will dedicate a rebuilt version of Tun Tavern, a historic building in Old City where the first marines were recruited in 1775. The new building will be located near its original site, now occupied by Interstate 95, and will be a permanent, operating tavern.

The rendering on the The Tun Tavern Legacy Foundation, Inc page sure seems to suggest the same.
I had heard rumors about this but this is the first rendering I've seen. I'll be happy to see a surface lot filled and I get the building is a replica, but it's actually a pretty bad use of space. They better get going if they want this ready for 2026.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:05 PM

I didn't know Philadelphia Runner reopened the CC store. That's good to know.

Those renders of 30th street really reminds me of the Seine river. I76 needs to be removed and placed else where.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:43 PM

Quote:

Great catch. That's definitely 2nd St and that's definitely the Continental on the corner to the left of the rendered building.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:51 PM

Quote:

Wow. They've been trying to accomplish this for years. Does anyone remember Tun Tavern Lager? Proceeds were supposed to go towards the recreation of the tavern.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
I haven't seen any formal confirmation it's permanently closed. The reason it closed in the first place was due to unsafe structure violations for a bunch of buildings on that block (including the Allbirds one). But considering the company is struggling financially right now and plans to close a significant portion of their stores it makes sense that it just won't reopen. It wouldn't surprise me if King of Prussia and others close down in the next few months too.
There was an article in the Business Journal about downtowns struggling with retail in general as companies are increasingly focusing on trendy neighborhoods (like NoLibs/Fishtown) and high end suburban lifestyle centers vs traditional downtowns.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:01 AM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I had heard rumors about this but this is the first rendering I've seen. I'll be happy to see a surface lot filled and I get the building is a replica, but it's actually a pretty bad use of space. They better get going if they want this ready for 2026.

I will drink the helllllll outta a beer at that place. Can’t wait, very cool. Happy to see that, great catch

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Unbelievable to me the city has no master plans.
How about a "Transportation Center" /Bus Terminal directly connected to 30th Street Station the rails/METRO.
Hidden behind riverfront residences. Topped with elaborate, indoor/outdoor event center.
Reimagining Schuylkill Avenue as "SCHUYLKILL BOULEVARD".
Transportation Center 4-25-24 resized by , on Flickr

Transportation Center 4-25-24 b resized by , on Flickr

I'd rather see the CSX rails capped
Schuylkill Banks 3-17-24 b cropped by , on Flickr

Line both banks with boat-friendly boardwalks. A series of ramps connected to each bridge. Directly connected to MLK.
Schuylkill River cropped by , on Flickr

Skyscraper fantasy.
Schuylkill Banks Entertainment District.
Schuylkill Banks Deck lined with restaurant/retail.
Schuylkill Banks Entertainment District 3-29-24 resized by , on Flickr

thank you very much
Can you take over as city planner? 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Man Walnut Street can’t catch a damn break with these brands struggling and filing for bankruptcy. What’s that this year alone? 4 or 5? More? Outdoor Voices, Allbirds, Express, Bonobos… Scotch & Soda - was that this year? Atmos - was that this year? Just craziness. One step forward and one step back continuously for Walnut Street.

It’s closing for good. Allbirds is struggling as a company and closing numerous stores.
Yeah, incredibly unlucky, that 1500 block will take a hit. At least Aritzia, Reformation, Figs, Nike and Levain Bakery are all coming and work is in progress at all those sites.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I will drink the helllllll outta a beer at that place. Can’t wait, very cool. Happy to see that, great catch
But ONLY if you drink to OUR BELOVED CORPS! SEMPER FI!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 5:09 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

On another note the beer garden on Walnut is doing extremely well, it's been around for what? a year now, and its booming every time its open.

Maybe Walnut should go for more restaurants & Bars over retail, those businesses seem to do much better in the city than Brick & mortars.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:29 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:

Here are elevations.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:35 PM

I get that these lists are bogus, but it just gets annoying just not seeing Philadelphia even mentioned. https://preply.com/en/blog/most-walkable-cities-in-us/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I get that these lists are bogus, but it just gets annoying just not seeing Philadelphia even mentioned. https://preply.com/en/blog/most-walkable-cities-in-us/
LMAO
"Texas is the most walkable U.S. State for tourists, with Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio each making the top half of our study – more cities than any other state.
"

While I appreciate trying to quantitatively measure things, guessing it's Art Museum to Old City that hurts us, doesn't pay attention to the fact there is actually shit to do along the entire walk unlike MF Dallas...
"
Using TripAdvisor and Google Maps, we’ve conducted a study recording the walking distance between each major city’s five most popular attractions to reveal America’s best cities to explore on foot.
"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development