HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

56 Leonard Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:11 PM

^ Nothing to do with cash flow. The developer changed concrete contractor about two months ago, and found a replacement one about a month ago.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:49 PM

^Contractor change was the result not cause of developer problems.

Any news for this tower? Did work resume?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:22 PM

There is and was never any developer problem! I really have no idea what you're talking about. The issue was with the concrete contractor, presumably due to how slow construction was proceeding.
Construction resumed some time last month.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2013/12/56-...on-photos.html

Last edited by Blaze23; Jan 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:31 PM

I would hate to think that this is "unbuildable".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
I would hate to think that this is "unbuildable".
Why would that be the case?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:37 PM

Suppose an architect's plans proved to be too difficult to realize..for reasons of cost and/or engineering or materials limitations/problems? I'm not saying that is the case here, but it is conceivable.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
There is and was never any developer problem! I really have no idea what you're talking about.Construction resumed some time last month.
Ok, I should not say developer problem but problem with building in general (developer, contractor....)

Quote:
"The issue was with the concrete contractor, presumably due to how slow construction was proceeding."
But why is construction so slow? Why it takes a year to build 7-8 floors?
I am not saying anything because I do not know, it's just my speculation but looking how slow the construction is progressing it seems to me that they are having some issues.
miesian summed it up in the post above.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:30 PM

From what I read, it seems like it is indeed due to the complexity of the building but even that can't explain why it took so long to build 8 floors, which lead to the contractor being dropped.
On the bright side, as the Yimby article mentioned, the next floors are more straight forward so this should speed up a bit.....until we get to the top floors which follow the same irregular patterns.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
From what I read, it seems like it is indeed due to the complexity of the building but even that can't explain why it took so long to build 8 floors, which lead to the contractor being dropped.
It's because the first few floors were extremely complex. Wired NY has one of the engineers for this building as a regular poster. The building was always scheduled to be extremely slow during the first few months.

You will see it race forwards, though. The middle part is much easier, and the balconies and bump-outs will be added at the end, not during the main construction process.

Also, there was a disagreement with one of the contractors, and they were replaced, but that only delayed things for a couple weeks. The new contractors have been there for a while now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:02 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted January 20th, 2014...
Photo Credit: ZippyTheChimp @ WNY

©ZippyTheChimp

©ZippyTheChimp

©ZippyTheChimp

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:18 PM

The concrete around the base looks awesome. I was not sure I would like it, but that subtle curve is really cool.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:18 AM

I just don't think that can happen the amount of research and work that goes in into pre-construction they would not risk all the investments and loans taken to build this building. They would be absolutely sure the building is feasible before going this far. If they didn't that's the dumbest mistake that could be made in construction besides a high rise collapsing that a developer could make. This is in response to Miesian

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityenthusiast View Post
I just don't think that can happen the amount of research and work that goes in into pre-construction they would not risk all the investments and loans taken to build this building. They would be absolutely sure the building is feasible before going this far. If they didn't that's the dumbest mistake that could be made in construction besides a high rise collapsing that a developer could make. This is in response to Miesian
No amount of research can guarantee 100% success. Sometimes things (shit) just happen. I am not saying this is the case with 56 Leonard but check what happened with Citigroup Center.

Citigroup Center Photo by Johan Burati

Excerpts below are from Wikipedia. You can read more about problems with Citigroup Center from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citigroup_Center

Quote:
Changes during construction led to a finished product that was structurally unsound. In June 1978, prompted by discussion between a civil engineering student at Princeton University, Diane Hartley,[2] and design engineer Joel Weinstein, LeMessurier recalculated the wind loads on the building. In the original design, the engineer calculated for wind loads that hit the building straight-on, but he did not calculate for quartering wind loads, which hit the building at a 45-degree angle. This oversight revealed that quartering wind loads resulted in a 40% increase in wind loads and a 160% increase in the load at all connection joints. This discovery was rather disturbing, since a couple of weeks prior to that, LeMessurier had discovered a structural flaw, which was introduced during construction.

Earlier in May, LeMessurier met for an inquiry on another job where he mentioned the use of welded joints in the Citicorp building, only to find a potentially fatal flaw in the building's construction: the original design's welded joints were changed to bolted joints during construction, which were too weak to withstand 70-mile-per-hour (113 km/h) quartering winds

This knowledge, combined with LeMessurier's discovery that his firm had used New York City's truss safety factor of 1:1 instead of the column safety factor of 1:2, meant that the building was in critical danger. The discovery of the problem occurred in the month of June, the beginning of hurricane season. The problem had to be corrected quickly.

It is reported that LeMessurier agonized over how to deal with the problem. If he made it known publicly, he risked ruining his professional reputation. He approached Citicorp directly and advised them of the need to take swift remedial action, ultimately convincing the company to hire a crew of welders to repair the fragile building without informing the public, a task made easier by the press strike at that time.

Last edited by ILNY; Jan 25, 2014 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 AM

Actually construction has resumed. I walked by last week and there was tons of activity, and if you take a good look at the latest pic, the building gained 2 or 3 floors since the stoppage, which is quite a feat considering how slow it was before.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:19 AM

^ It's hard to tell from pictures but you are correct, they are moving up.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:06 AM

I believe they are floor 10. At this point they are part the crazy floors are at the 'straight forward' ones.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 1:47 PM

I work on the 45th floor of the old Citigroup Building and I think about its troubled early history every time I take a ride in one of its sketchy elevators.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I work on the 45th floor of the old Citigroup Building and I think about its troubled early history every time I take a ride in one of its sketchy elevators.

"sketchy"?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 5:08 AM

I just checked this site out in person for the first time today, and boy, this building is going to be a much more massive presence than I had imagined; at ten stories or whatever, it already really looms. I might worry about it being simply overbearing but I think the Kapoor sculpture is such a cool way to integrate it with the street, and a really nice textural and geometrical balance to the boxy forms above.

Think I'm more excited to see this as a finished structure than anything else that's U/C or proposed in NYC right now.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 4:45 PM

I agree that the subtle concave curve on the slab edges looks really good. I originally thought it was a lotta fuss/trouble for an insignificant detail, BUT, it's surprising how much difference it makes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive