HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:36 AM

Growing Cambria Hotel brand taps Philly as showcase site

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...case_site.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 12:09 PM
BANNED

too bad this is so short. I was hoping the article made some reference to the suppposedly upcoming SLS hotel on S broad but no luck.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:21 PM

I'm not saying this building's design is terrible. But from a marketing perspective, you want your flagship [store/product/building/whatever] to embody the image and ideals that you want your brand to portray. In this case, Cambria is saying that the brand is, "a line of trendy urban hotels." But nothing about this design (or the one in Times Square for that matter) conveys hip or trendy. I find it to be pretty plain. I personally think a good example of a hotel that designs its buildings to match its brand is aloft.

From an architecture point of view, this building is fine. But for a building that is supposed to be the flagship of a hip and trendy hotel brand, I don't think this design accomplishes that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:04 AM

6/15/16

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 10:40 PM

From last Saturday:
End of an Eyesore 2 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 12:03 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I was hoping the article made some reference to the suppposedly upcoming SLS hotel on S broad but no luck.
Right. Nothing but crickets over at the SLS site.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 2:39 AM

What do I know, but it seems like this demo is taking a long time, altho I realize its been just 3 or 4 months. I wonder if there are 'conditions' that are behind this pace.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
What do I know, but it seems like this demo is taking a long time, altho I realize its been just 3 or 4 months. I wonder if there are 'conditions' that are behind this pace.
It does seam very slow, though it's finding nearing an end...no one seems to be in any hurry on any of the South Broad projects. Not this. Not SLS. Not the Hyde Hotel and Residences. And not the Post Brothers renovation of the Atlantic Building.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I park my car right by it... for a while I think it was some asbestos/environmental remediation and now they're taking it down piece by piece which I guess you have to do with a building like this at this location

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It does seam very slow, though it's finding nearing an end...no one seems to be in any hurry on any of the South Broad projects. Not this. Not SLS. Not the Hyde Hotel and Residences. And not the Post Brothers renovation of the Atlantic Building.
They've been kicking around plans for the atlantic building for like 4 years now, at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
They've been kicking around plans for the atlantic building for like 4 years now, at this point I'll believe it when I see it.
i am baffled as to what is going on there. At one point they were trying to sell it but that didnt work so they proceeded with the renovation. But that had to be 2 years ago. Its a conversion, not sure why it's taking this long. The Griffin started long after we first heard of the Atlantic conversion and now it's open.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
i am baffled as to what is going on there. At one point they were trying to sell it but that didnt work so they proceeded with the renovation. But that had to be 2 years ago. Its a conversion, not sure why it's taking this long. The Griffin started long after we first heard of the Atlantic conversion and now it's open.
The tenants are all out and they've done interior demo. I haven't seen any construction yet. Maybe they have problems with the trades or they're busy elsewhere, who knows. I live really close, would like to see that corner come alive again

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know exactly what's going on, but I've heard from inside sources it will be awhile...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 8:35 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:10 AM
More of that.

^that Walnut Square roof really needs to be restored even from this far away you can see the fade. Up close its even worse. Like a Monet.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
^that Walnut Square roof really needs to be restored even from this far away you can see the fade. Up close its even worse. Like a Monet.
I lived there in 2009...unless something has drastically changed, I wouldn't hold your breath on a restored roof. I was lucky to have a working elevator and hot water half of the time.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:43 AM

7/12/2016

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:46 PM

8/4/16

Garage is down

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 5:50 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 9:20 PM

Cambria Hotels & Suites

Quote:
In November 2015 Choice Hotels announced its plans to open a Cambria Hotels & Suites at Broad and Locust, in partnership with Pearl Properties. The 206-room hotel broke ground in June 2016 and is scheduled to open next year.
http://philly.curbed.com/maps/philadelphia-hotels-map

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive