HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Tourmaline, I've avoided naming fellow NLAers in previous posts about missing images, and I didn't want to single anyone out, but you've provided
a great example of hotlinked image which will disappear within a matter of weeks.

For anyone thinking of hotlinking images - please use an image hosting service such as ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr etc. Feel free to ask any
questions regarding posting images using one of these sites.

In an attempt to preserve the image, I've added it to my Photobucket account (after some tweaking!).

Original from eBay

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoJuliet View Post
As a full-on roadgeek, this post about made me faint. I love signage and these are absolute gold. Thanks for posting.
Traffic was already a god-awful mess in 1960!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

By the way, in lightening the onbunkerhill image of the Castle Tower could you make a pass at lightening the little structure at the left? I'm pretty sure that's the Hildreth carriage house. I'd be deeply indebted if you could tease out any detail of it. Thanks, in advance.
There's virtually no contrast on that side of the image, but I've lightened it a little. I can't really make out any detail on the carriage house, but it does show the zig-zag at the top of the stairs as they reach the 4th Street stub.

A footnote below the image says "Postcard from the personal collection of Christina Rice." As Christina Rice is one of the editors of 'On Bunker Hill', maybe you could try contacting her for a better scan.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Signs to nowhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I took the Googlemobile out for a spin earlier, and found this Bakersfield sign on E Alameda Avenue in Burbank.

GSV
I'm surprised that the sign above does not read : Vancouver.......

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
There's virtually no contrast on that side of the image, but I've lightened it a little. I can't really make out any detail on the carriage house, but it does show the zig-zag at the top of the stairs as they reach the 4th Street stub.
A footnote below the image says "Postcard from the personal collection of Christina Rice." As Christina Rice is one of the editors of 'On Bunker Hill', maybe you could try contacting her for a better scan.
Thanks for the effort Hoss. I appreciate it. At a minimum, we gained the slight trace of the stairs and can assume Margrethe Mather, Roy Rosen, maybe even Weston and the Zahn kids perhaps scaled them. I'm going to drop Christina Rice a note. Thanks again.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:53 PM

Screen Caps from the 1950 Noir Flick Backfire.

Warner brothers released this in 1950, but was actually filmed in 1947.

Amazing scenes of Olive and 4th street are to be had in this Gordon Macrae vehicle.

WP_20140901_001 by gsjansen, GSJ on Flickr
Looking South on Olive from the NE corner of 4th

WP_20140901_007 by gsjansen,GSJ on Flickr
Gordon Macrae hails a taxi outside the Fremont Hotel

WP_20140901_006 by gsjansenGSJ on Flickr
Savoy Garage Across from the Fremont Hotel, SE corner Olive and 4th

WP_20140901_005 by gsjansen, GSJ on Flickr
Fremont Hotel, SW corner 4th and Olive

WP_20140901_004 by gsjansen, GSJ on Flickr
Close-up of the entry steps to the Fremont Hotel

Fremont in the day - LAPL

Savoy Garage viewed across the demolished Fremont Hotel 1966 - LAPL

Looking west on 4th across Olive. 1956. The old pedestal steps of the Fremont Hotel - LAPL

Thank you HossC for showing me the way to post from my flckr account. Between the last time I posted from my account, and now, an additional step has been added. Once again, Thank you so much HossC for helping me out!

Last edited by gsjansen; Sep 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Thanks to HossC

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
This HDL image was taken from across the Harbor Freeway on January 16th, 1955.

Huntington Digital Library
Oh My Gawd!!! this photograph is off the scales!!! I had never seen it before. incredible!

Great find HossC! mesmerizing............

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:33 PM

I just realized the white building in the photo is the Zelda........this is indeed a monumental incredible photograph!

Thank you once again HossC for posting this. This photograph is amazing on so many levels.............(more scrutiny to follow i'm sure!)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:57 PM

[QUOTE=gsjansen;6717068
I just realized the white building in the photo is the Zelda........this is indeed a monumental incredible photograph!

Thank you once again HossC for posting this. This photograph is amazing on so many levels.............(more scrutiny to follow i'm sure!)[/QUOTE]

No, it's the back of the Barbara Worth (Briggs). The Zelda is gone by 1955.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

..here's the Hotel Sherman at far right, also dated 1915.

"Victorian houses converted into businesses are sandwiched between the Hotel Leroy on the right and the Hotel Sherman, corner 4th and Hill, on the left.
The Los Angeles Water Dept. is to the right of the Hotel Leroy. In the background is the Grant Building. This later became the site of the Hotel Clark."
-LAPL

___
Fascinating stuff about the "fanciful" postcard where they've modernized The Sherman!

Here's the 1913 Clark dropped onto those poor things:

You can see the Sherman on the far left. I'd like to mention the Sherman (built as the Johnson Bldg #5 [Hotel Clarendon], 1896, demolished 1946) was Robert Brown Young; and the Hotel Leroy (Steinhart Block, 1897), at the right in E-R's LAPL image, was RB Young as well. The Leroy was contiguous to the Occidental hotel (Wilson #6, 1898) also RB Young!

The Occidental is replaced by this Walker & Eisen in 1936 -- and down the street, note that the Sherman still has her original '90s roofline:
clark images from flickr

One last shot of Young's Oxy, showing a bit of Young's Leroy to the left:

dwp

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL View Post
The look on their face appears to be that of sadness.
Essentially nobody smiled for photos before the 1890s. Aside from those wanting to project an air of formality when posing for a picture, subjects had to remain stock still due to long exposure times plus time for the photographer to focus and fiddle. You will find more photos from this era and earlier with people stiffly posed while trying too hard to stay still.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
No, it's the back of the Barbara Worth (Briggs). The Zelda is gone by 1955.
Howdy MichaelR....you could be right, but to tell you the truth, there are so few images of the Zelda that I have seen, and the bible of images for bunker hill , (OnBunkerHill.org), shows this particular one as being the Zelda.....

Looks purty much like the white building in the photo posted by HossC.......(not to mention it being in the right place...........

but hey, I stink at cards, and am usually more wrong than I have been right.............

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Mid-City Cut Rate Drug Store, 3773 South Western, Los Angeles. Circa 1941

http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c...d/3875/rec/150

High res image here:
http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c...d/3875/rec/150

Today:

Google Street View

The only give-away that this is the same building are the cartouches that have survived. (I've circled the two framing the front entrance)

cdm6003

Here's the interior of the store taken on the same day in 1941.

cdm6004

...the last thing this shop needed was a patterned Linoleum floor.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:18 PM

anyone recognize this fire-damaged Victorian?

-no address (undated)

old file of mine/possibly ebay

I can barely make out the numbers on the ROOMS sign...is it 1337?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The only give-away that this is the same building are the cartouches that have survived. (I've circled the two framing the front entrance))

cdm6003
__
. . . . Man! I'll take 12 cases of that 12 year old .59¢ whiskey advertised on the side billboard! It's medicinal

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
Howdy MichaelR....you could be right, but to tell you the truth, there are so few images of the Zelda that I have seen, and the bible of images for bunker hill , (OnBunkerHill.org), shows this particular one as being the Zelda.....

Looks purty much like the white building in the photo posted by HossC.......(not to mention it being in the right place...........

but hey, I stink at cards, and am usually more wrong than I have been right.............
4th Street cut from west side of the freeway, January 16, 1955

What street do you think this building is on? Would you agree the Stuart K. Oliver house is roughly parallel to this building, hence likely on the same street? The Zelda was on Grand Avenue. What street do you think we're looking at here? If you want to fish around in my photo-stream, search 'Zelda' you'll find maybe twenty images of the Zelda or of the vacant lot after the 4th Street cut wiped it clean. Just sayin'

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
Warner brothers released this in 1950, but was actually filmed in 1947.

WP_20140901_001 by gsjansen, GSJ on Flickr
Very interesting screen grabs of Backfire gsjansen. -so glad you figured out that last stumbling block on flickr.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 5, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Smile..you're on Candid........

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalton View Post
Essentially nobody smiled for photos before the 1890s. Aside from those wanting to project an air of formality when posing for a picture, subjects had to remain stock still due to long exposure times plus time for the photographer to focus and fiddle. You will find more photos from this era and earlier with people stiffly posed while trying too hard to stay still.
Most individuals simply didn’t want to be immortalized for all of history with a goofy grin on their faces. Mark Twain summed it up best when he said, “A photograph is a most important document, and there is nothing more damning to go down to posterity than a silly, foolish smile caught and fixed forever.”

According to Nicholas Jeeves, who wrote an extensive article on the topic, by the 17th century “it was a well-established fact that the only people who smiled broadly, in life and in art, were the poor, the lewd, the drunk, the innocent, and the entertainment people.”

Another reason is that if you believed in the Bible, you were sober and serious.....and smiling was the opposite of that.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 5, 2014 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:

The only give-away that this is the same building are the cartouches that have survived. (I've circled the two framing the front entrance)

cdm6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
. . . . Man! I'll take 12 cases of that 12 year old .59¢ whiskey advertised on the side billboard! It's medicinal
Sorry to disappoint you, so-cal-bear, but if you look closely, the whiskey is 12 months old! You could get always some 18-month-old whiskey for 79¢ plus tax .

eBay

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
I think it is 12 months old (if that)........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos