HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
just PE (preliminary engineering).

I've seen numbers of ~$50M.

And that seems to be about the number for the crestview intersection High Option here: https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...ook_032818.pdf

The Red Line would Tunnel under Lamar. This makes sense. It can't go over because they want to potentially have elevated BRT/LRT at that intersection.

I love the use of the diamond style interchange for the roads. They wanted to do the same thing at Airport and 35 before the design was scraped.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The Red Line would Tunnel under Lamar. This makes sense. It can't go over because they want to potentially have elevated BRT/LRT at that intersection.
Maybe. I think this is just one example, and more study is needed (hence the grant).

Two pages before that one:
"Capital Metro is currently studying
multiple railroad and vehicle grade
separation solutions at the Crestview
intersection area that include:
rail-over-road or rail-under-road projects."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:42 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I live just a few blocks from the rail split and have been saying for years they need to fix it up for commuter rail, though would need to tie in to the Metrorail line/future lines. In the meantime a mixed pedestrian/bikeway is also a good idea for the short term.

15 years seems too soon since it was used though I guess very minimal use may have still been going on. That would put the last time around 2003. It was not used that often in the 90s. I went to St. Elmo Elementary from 85 till spring of 91 and remember watching the trains out the classroom window or when we were out on the playground or field.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:18 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Maybe. I think this is just one example, and more study is needed (hence the grant).

Whatever they decide to do, it is important to keep in mind that the Red Line is also used by freight trains which require smaller grades than Stadler GTWs. More in the 1 to 2% range vs 3% to 4% range. DART’s light rail trains approach 5% grades in some tight locations.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Whatever they decide to do, it is important to keep in mind that the Red Line is also used by freight trains which require smaller grades than Stadler GTWs. More in the 1 to 2% range vs 3% to 4% range. DART’s light rail trains approach 5% grades in some tight locations.
Nova mentioned they were looking at options where the freight stays at grade and only the commuter trains bypass but I can't imagine they'll pursue that if their plan is to start running freight during the weekdays again.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:28 AM
Meh

Cap Metro Downtown Master Easement plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ment_PLANS.PDF

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:50 PM

Statesman article on the future of light rail.
https://www.statesman.com/news/austi...F5HOkPD4SpDRP/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:30 AM

City Staff was at a council work session to talk about the corridor construction program and Ora Houston started asking about how the Green Line works which is Cap Metro's deal. She's either senile or just insanely clueless. It's an understandable mistake for a regular person who doesn't understand how the city government works but she is a freaking council member. What a joke.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
She's either senile or just insanely clueless.
Probably a little of both, to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Probably a little of both, to be honest.
Sigh...I hope she loses.

The actual discussion didn't seem to really do much. Council wants certain details that staff can't answer until they can get survey firms out there during the Engineering and Design phase. It's really really funny hearing Garza and Kitchen complain about not getting this or that when they fought so hard to keep the money for the bond down.

Good news for south Austin, Campo recommended funding MultiModal Improvements on segments of Slaughter (MoPac to Brodie Lane) and William Cannon (I-35 to McKinney Falls Parkway).

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:08 PM

I noticed in downtown Dallas (was there for a few days), lots (100's)of "dock-less bikes". It seems they are very popular. However, I would say it looks aesthetically unpleasing to see about 20-30% of them tipped over, blocking substantial portions of the side walk, which is clearly a problem for wheel chairs or the visually impaired, or even families with strollers. I can't imagine adopting that our town.

At this point, I think the dock-less scooters are more palatable. In the few short weeks I saw them around town and even in Zilker, I never saw them on their side, (though - I don't think I would mind that as much) Anyone know if those companies plan to reintroduce them?

They should keep the bikes docked just for aesthetics and safety......just add more docking stations.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I noticed in downtown Dallas (was there for a few days), lots (100's)of "dock-less bikes". It seems they are very popular. However, I would say it looks aesthetically unpleasing to see about 20-30% of them tipped over, blocking substantial portions of the side walk, which is clearly a problem for wheel chairs or the visually impaired, or even families with strollers. I can't imagine adopting that our town.

At this point, I think the dock-less scooters are more palatable. In the few short weeks I saw them around town and even in Zilker, I never saw them on their side, (though - I don't think I would mind that as much) Anyone know if those companies plan to reintroduce them?

They should keep the bikes docked just for aesthetics and safety......just add more docking stations.

I agree, bicycles need to be docked just for the fact that they can't be knocked over which causes other problems.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:01 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I agree, bicycles need to be docked just for the fact that they can't be knocked over which causes other problems.
You guys ought to see the issues with those bikes in China. Tens of thousands...millions...billions, who knows? In larger cities like Shanghai and Chengdu, they are a significant issue and the cities are doing their best to deal with them, but every subway station has hundreds literally piled up.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 6:21 AM
Meh

I'm kind of a bike nut. I collect old bikes, mostly from the 70s and 80s. I can't imagine seeing a pile of bicycles just sitting there. No one actually "owns" them, they're just sitting around?

I've always been intrigued at how they deal with bicycle storage in Amsterdam. They actually have parking garages just for bicycles. One of these garages claims to have space for 4,000 bikes. Have a look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...w=1920&bih=949

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 11:19 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm kind of a bike nut. I collect old bikes, mostly from the 70s and 80s. I can't imagine seeing a pile of bicycles just sitting there. No one actually "owns" them, they're just sitting around?

I've always been intrigued at how they deal with bicycle storage in Amsterdam. They actually have parking garages just for bicycles. One of these garages claims to have space for 4,000 bikes. Have a look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...w=1920&bih=949
I'm specifically talking about the rental bikes, with docks or the app-based bikes. However, it's not much better with individual bikes. Broken bikes are just abandoned, others are left because keys were lost to the locks, etc. Fortunately, a lot of bikes are around 100 RMB (US$15), so they're easy to replace...

Here are some photos of the China rental bike mess:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=o....0.uLjBcUM-qFI

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:06 PM
Meh

This has renderings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ying-uber.html
Quote:
Architecture firms design Skyports for flying Uber taxis

By Bill Hethcock – Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal
6 hours ago

Three Texas-based architecture firms have unveiled their designs for what's being called a Skyport concept created to serve as takeoff and landing facilities for the flying taxis being developed by ridesharing giant Uber Technologies Inc.

Uber’s urban air taxis are set to debut on a demonstration basis in three test markets — Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles and Dubai — in 2020. Commercial flights are targeted to start in the test markets in 2023, Uber spokesman Travis Considine tells the Dallas Business Journal. From there, San Francisco-based Uber plans to roll out the service in large urban areas worldwide.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:

I ran across CapMetro's application document for this

bit.ly/tip-cmta

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:07 AM

This is awesome. Ben White is the southern boundary of what I consider "central Austin"

Area under Ben White Blvd. will be transformed into transit center

"Mobility hub is the concept of bringing together forms of services so people can get around the community," explains Gonzalez. "It can be improving access for those that walk, access for those that bike, allowing car share mobility, bike share and, of course, the confluence of transit."

Another hope for the mobility hub is that it would entice south Austin residents to consider public transit, like the MetroRapid, into downtown instead of driving every day.

The park and ride portion would offer around 200 parking spaces, plus provide a bus driver-only restroom to assist drivers in staying on schedule.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:15 PM
Meh

https://www.statesman.com/news/local...bZ2fzzMLboRIN/
Quote:
Cap Metro ponders running driverless shuttles in downtown Austin

Updated 39 minutes ago
By Ben Wear, American-Statesman Staff

Downtown Austin could see pod-like driverless shuttles by the end of the year under a pilot program Capital Metro is considering.

The agency, according to a presentation to be given to the Capital Metro board Monday afternoon, foresees having a fleet of six electric, autonomous shuttles running a route between the MetroRail station on East Fourth Street, Austin City Hall, the new downtown library on West Cesar Chavez Street and Republic Square on Guadalupe Street near West Fourth Street.
-

Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:59 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin