HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This is the main issue I have with how the cluster looks. Because they are in the same height category and that they are right next to eachother, it invokes a stubby bulky appearance for the entire group. This has nothing to do with any one building's design or appearance whether good or bad, it simply has to do with overall massing. The fact that they are all so close in height actually makes them look shorter grouped together than they really are. It's a shame really because the buildings kinda get lost blending together into a blob diminishing features of each building. The city made a huge mistake in not allowing more height which could have avoided this current predicament. The effect will only increase once they complete the last building. 360 helps a little bit it's not enough.
Man, I agree with you. The one thing going for this cluster though is that it is a unique cluster. No other cluster of buildings downtown is quite like it. This cluster is best observed from the side walks or library. We discussed how nice it was when Austin didn't have a dense downtown because each individual building stood out, you could see it from every angle, the whole building. Maybe its better with these that they don't stand out individually with the exception of the Proper which is the nicest of the 3 imo. But I am liking that Austin has many unique features that are easy to nickname and rate. I'm stealing a word from you and calling this the Blob Cluster. No matter what you think of the design, close up, its impressive.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:37 AM

The "Blob Cluster" as seen from the Northeast.

Also taken today.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:23 AM

Aha - that's what I was talking about re. the uneven white frames on the Proper. It just doesn't look good from certain angles, as if it's a mistake or shoddy work:

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:31 PM
World Traveler

I see what you're talking about, but I think it looks kind of neat...like a wave in the structure.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The "Blob Cluster" as seen from the Northeast.

Also taken today.

The first pic clearly shows what an eyesore the state garage really is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 PM

Sh*t now I see that the lower frames are all screwed up too. I will never be able to un-see this. Proper is turning into an irritant. You know these stupid online tests where they show your slightly different patterns that supposed to test how "OCD" you are? I barely need to look at them, the differences just scream at me...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
Sh*t now I see that the lower frames are all screwed up too. I will never be able to un-see this. Proper is turning into an irritant. You know these stupid online tests where they show your slightly different patterns that supposed to test how "OCD" you are? I barely need to look at them, the differences just scream at me...
Honestly I live a block away, walk and drive by the Proper daily and never noticed it that prominently. I think it shows up much more as a "pattern" in photos as opposed to in person.

But as I've said before, I appreciate the "calculated randomness" of the bevels on the window frames... it makes the building look less "institutional" and more "organic" vs the 60s-ish designs it's based on.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:47 PM

I personally like the uneven bevels on the windows. You might want to hold out judgement until it's more complete. They are definitely not random, rater intentionally arraigned to create a moiré effect. You can clearly see the design in this rendering.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I personally like the uneven bevels on the windows. You might want to hold out judgement until it's more complete. They are definitely not random, rater intentionally arraigned to create a moiré effect. You can clearly see the design in this rendering.
Yea that effect is pretty spot-on to the rendering in some of these prior photos, especially when the sun is out.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:37 PM

I first noticed this uneven pattern when walking past it on 2nd street, where one ends up looking straight up the building's side.
This may be just a personal thing, I am really bothered by certain visual patterns. Ad blockers are a godsent for me, I block most "ornamental" content on the sites I frequent. For example, most of you good people have your avatars blocked on my screen.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:14 AM
Meh

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Wish they could fly that drone down between the two buildings. I have a feeling it is kind of bleak in there.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 1:23 AM

This looks like it might be T.O. on the webcam. But it's not 8' taller than 3rd +Shoal.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:36 PM

From last weekend.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:45 PM

It's odd how they are breaking the mullions on the glass, creating a patchwork effect. You would think they would want an unobstructed view.

Few more pictures here (from this morning): https://imgur.com/a/7kT4DBd

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:22 PM

Maybe those are operable windows?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Maybe those are operable windows?
Correctamundo. There are operable pop-out windows in every unit at the Proper.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:13 PM

I know this is the Proper thread, but in these pictures, while the Proper obviously looks a lot better, he who shall not be named doesn’t look half bad either. I really like the top crown portion and the use of green glass. Now back to the Proper, i like the patchwork effect the operable windows seem to be creating, this is definitely the most artistic structure in town.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I know this is the Proper thread, but in these pictures, while the Proper obviously looks a lot better, he who shall not be named doesn’t look half bad either. I really like the top crown portion and the use of green glass. Now back to the Proper, i like the patchwork effect the operable windows seem to be creating, this is definitely the most artistic structure in town.
I stopped being a 3rd + Shoal hater after conversing with Mr. Blume. I am assuming that anyone stuck with that close proximity north view will at least have an east and west view and maybe a south view where they can get some daylight. The entire north side would be a great spot for kitchen, bathroom and closet placement. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I don't see the operable windows.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:17 AM
Love Austin

We all know the wait for 185 won't be a long one (barring global idiocracy). As I understand it something is to be announced soon--it will likely only be around 500'. This, coupled with the two ~500' towers slated for the Travis Co. courthouse site will make this area of town much better than I thought it would ever be. Really happy with the build-out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin