HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
This is some amazing footage of Calgary from between 1976 to 1981. Just about everything is different now. When you've lived here your entire live you tend to forgot just how different.

Video Link
That's a fantastic video! Thank-you very much for sharing it.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:48 PM

Fort Calgary to undergo major expansion as it seeks to become more inclusive

A major overhaul is coming to Fort Calgary that’s expected to transform the site of the city’s birthplace and help tell its origin story from the perspective of Indigenous nations, which officials say was neglected for far too long.

The 3,500-square-meter museum will expand by 1,500 square meters, as part of renovations that are expected to last until 2020. Once completed, it will include space for five new galleries, three of which will be permanent.

One exhibit will tell the classic story of Fort Calgary, where in 1875 the North West Mounted Police built a fort at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers. But unlike in the past, the museum will also include a Gallery of Nations to reflect stories of each of the Treaty 7 Indigenous groups. Another fixed gallery will tell evolving stories of southern Alberta, something that hasn’t previously been represented.

The other two galleries will feature rotating exhibits to keep things fresh, with more information still to come.

“It’s not just about creating a nice new building. The biggest driver for this is that we really have shifted our mandate in terms of how we’re going to focus our efforts around the telling of history and the telling of stories,” said Fort Calgary president and CEO Linda McLean.

“That really marks a new chapter in this organization’s history. Because of its era and the context in which it was developed, a lot of material and the exhibits that are currently at Fort Calgary are a very Eurocentric perspective on the history of this region, and particularly of the site that we occupy.”

The estimated cost of the project is $10.4 million, which is being funded by all three levels of government.

It’s the third phase of a decade-long capital improvement initiative at Fort Calgary, which began with the restoration of Deane House, Hunt House and the Métis cabin on the east side of the property. A public art piece, titled Markings, which traces the perimeter of the original 1875 fort, was later added to the west side.

Renovations to the museum, which sees about 80,000 visitors each year, will include an expanded learning centre and additional event space for arts and culture, public education and speakers events.

A request for proposals for design firms interested in bringing the project to life closed last week and the interview process is expected to begin in the coming days. The successful design firm should be in place by the beginning of June, and McLean said they hope to break ground by 2019, with an opening date roughly 12 months later.

“It’s certainly a big physical project,” said McLean. “We’re also going to be completely gutting and renovating the existing building so that it will be unrecognizable.”

She said they have worked for several years in consultation with a large Indigenous advisory council that included representatives from the Siksika, Kainai, Piikani, Tsuut’ina and Stoney Nakoda Nations, as well as the Métis Nation of Alberta.

Each group will curate its own exhibit so as to best represent their own stories to the public.

Fort Calgary has also worked closely with the RCMP Veterans’ Association to develop new content surrounding the fight for gender and ethnicity-based inclusion within the organization.

“We’re acutely aware that what we currently have in place is dated and it’s not inclusive and it doesn’t represent a full story,” McLean said.

“Our goal here really is to respond to the call to action that arose from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s final report. We have a special obligation, a special duty to be inclusive and to respect and represent truth, as opposed to perhaps a less-inclusive version of reality that’s been prevalent in Canada since Confederation.

“I think it’s going to be a tremendous, positive change.”

Source: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...more-inclusive

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I think it's probably a positive move. We have a reserve adjacent to the city yet I find people know so little about the Tsuu T'ina nation (myself included) and the rest of the Treaty 7 tribes, seems a good place to expand the story.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:31 PM

A Calgary Dream in Ruins

What an interesting story this is. I think this is the first I've heard of this mansion.

Video Link

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:18 PM

I can’t quite pinpoint its location. I would love to tramp around and see it.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:58 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
A Calgary Dream in Ruins

What an interesting story this is. I think this is the first I've heard of this mansion.

Video Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I can’t quite pinpoint its location. I would love to tramp around and see it.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.02264.../data=!3m1!1e3

It's in this loop. According to the old aerial photo in the video it's probably at the beginning of this pathway. Just go to the Southern Alberta Pioneer's 'clubhouse' and start down the path to the west of it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:55 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:55 PM

Cool videos!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 3:41 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

New recommended additions to Calgary's Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources (all photos sourced from there)

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...resources.aspx

1911 Belisle Residence (Mission)

1917 Reavely Residence (Mount Pleasant)

1912 Cross Residence (Bowness)

1913 Wallace Residence (Bowness)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
New recommended additions to Calgary's Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources (all photos sourced from there)

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...resources.aspx

1913 Wallace Residence (Bowness)

Aren't these just like "normal" houses? I think our bar for heritage designation should be higher.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 3:39 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Aren't these just like "normal" houses? I think our bar for heritage designation should be higher.
That one in particular is one of the oldest and largest homes in Bowness, and directly related to the John Hextall's initial plan to make Bowness another Mount Royal, along with his creation of Bowness Park, funding of the Bowness/Hextall bridge, and successful petition to the City of Calgary to extend the street car line to that area.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That one in particular is one of the oldest and largest homes in Bowness, and directly related to the John Hextall's initial plan to make Bowness another Mount Royal, along with his creation of Bowness Park, funding of the Bowness/Hextall bridge, and successful petition to the City of Calgary to extend the street car line to that area.
It doesn't really look that big frankly. There are literally dozens of homes in Bowness larger.

Regarding the fellow's good works and contributions, that's nice, but I don't get how pushing a petition should transfer over into giving status to a regular'ish home that the fellow lived in for a period of time. Did any of the historic things actually happen in the house? Maybe the Bowness/Hextall bridge and the street car line should be given status, preserved, honoured, celebrated, had replicas built of - but not just any place where the guy who did nice things sat down. It is just my opinion. There are very few places in the world where this house with its (lack of) history would gain protection.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 6:05 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
It doesn't really look that big frankly. There are literally dozens of homes in Bowness larger.

Regarding the fellow's good works and contributions, that's nice, but I don't get how pushing a petition should transfer over into giving status to a regular'ish home that the fellow lived in for a period of time. Did any of the historic things actually happen in the house? Maybe the Bowness/Hextall bridge and the street car line should be given status, preserved, honoured, celebrated, had replicas built of - but not just any place where the guy who did nice things sat down. It is just my opinion. There are very few places in the world where this house with its (lack of) history would gain protection.
Hextall didn't live in the house, it's just one of a handful of homes in Bowness that were built of the architectural style he envisioned for the area. I should clarify that the inventory lists buildings which are physical evidence of Calgary's history and stories, it's different than heritage designation which is protection.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Apparently a 2 alarm fire at the Auloch Villa (1910) in Springbank Hill

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/PD/Pages/H...n1QpNfSLf0ZPt8

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Apparently a 2 alarm fire at the Auloch Villa (1910) in Springbank Hill

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/PD/Pages/H...n1QpNfSLf0ZPt8

I've never seen this one before. Looks like a bad barn reno!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:09 PM
Near Generational

Hmmm... Wonder what Suburbia did. . .

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:45 PM
Reach for the heavens

If it burned down it wouldn't be the biggest loss. It is a pretty fugly looking place.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
If it burned down it wouldn't be the biggest loss. It is a pretty fugly looking place.
It does look out of place in that neighborhood. But everything else is cookie cutter. I’m surprised it has survived this long.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:19 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

It looks out of place because it pre-dates everything there by at least 70 years as it is on an original homestead. This is its location in 1924 compared to urban areas

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues