HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:18 PM

Emory seeking to be annexed into Atlanta

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/em...anta/305001106
Quote:
Emory confirms that it will be seeking annexation through a petition process. Petitions for annexation have to be reviewed by the City of Atlanta. Once Emory begins the annexation process a public hearing would need to be held and the city council would have to adopt an ordinance to annex the land in question.

Once annexed, Atlanta would have to provide services at the same level the city already does for current residents and property owners.

Emory’s annexation into the City of Atlanta has always been viewed as one of the most viable, long-term options and one that provides consistency and alignment relative to the University’s marketing and branding initiatives. Emory already promotes its location as Atlanta, is known internationally as being located in Atlanta, routinely recruits faculty and students to Atlanta, and has an Atlanta address and zip code. The prestige of Emory as an international university and Atlanta as a global city are inextricably linked.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 2:30 AM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
It's not possible to overstate how much I despise that shelter and the owners/operators. I don't understand how they still have supporters. I've never seen anything like it; where their mere presence causes such significant negative impact on such a large around around it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 1:54 PM

I think the Peachtree-Pine saga has been going on for so long the one just assumes it will never get resolved. I am hoping this will finally bring about change to the situation and that are in middle of the city.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:02 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:03 PM

Oh please please please let this be the beginning of the end for Peachtree-Pine shelter.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 4:43 PM

Anthem to invest $20 million in 2,000-job IT hub

According to the Midtown Alliance, there have already been 8,000 job announcements for Midtown in the last 12 months. Though technically not in Midtown, the BofA plaza is included in the Midtown CID.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...s-bank-of.html
Quote:
Fortune 50 health insurer Anthem Inc. will invest $20 million in a technology hub in Atlanta.

The Indianapolis-based company will create about 2,000 jobs at the software development center in Bank of America Plaza, Atlanta's tallest skyscraper. Anthem would take nearly 40,000 square feet on the 16th, 17th and 18th floors of the 55-story building, according to a filing with the city of Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
According to the Midtown Alliance, there have already been 8,000 job announcements for Midtown in the last 12 months. Though technically not in Midtown, the BofA plaza is included in the Midtown CID.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...s-bank-of.html
Something is not right here. 2,000 employee / 40,000 sqft = 20 sqft per person. That's really tight - like illegally tight.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Something is not right here. 2,000 employee / 40,000 sqft = 20 sqft per person. That's really tight - like illegally tight.
The article goes on to say that this is a short term lease that could grow significantly in square footage as the center ramps up. So there won't be 2,000 employees on day one.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:08 PM

Downtown Atlanta leaders look to create bright lights district

My first thought is I wonder if they are targeting way too large of an area for this to have the desired outcome.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ht-lights.html
Quote:
Downtown advocacy group Central Atlanta Progress (CAP) is leading an effort to create the Atlanta Arts and Entertainment District where the bright signs and billboards could go.

The area would stretch from the Georgia World Congress Center east to Piedmont Avenue, and from the attractions at Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard south to Underground Atlanta. The district would include the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Philips Arena, The Tabernacle and Georgia Aquarium.

This week, an ordinance was introduced in Atlanta to allow for new permits for property owners to install signage in the district. The new guidelines would be far less stringent than those currently on the books.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:53 PM

that is a big area. so thats everything west of the connector between ivan allan and underground? so ALL of downtown pretty much except for south downtown where there's just government buildings and parking lots anyway?

i could see this being cool and not a problem as long as developers / businesses dont go overboard with it. area around GWCC / CNN is already digital signage heavy so thats the natural "times square" type of area from a signage standpoint.. downtown like along peachtree near woodruf? not so much. projection art / signage on buildings in that area could be cool ( they mention light projection in the article ). It does say any new signage would go through a review process. so thats good. i found it interesting that new digital signage intallations would have to agree to reserve programming for special events.. taking over signage across downtown during something like the Chick-Fil-A kickoff game, Super Bowl etc could be pretty cool.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The new guidelines would be far less stringent than those currently on the books.
Oh hell no, it's just another revenue-enhancing trick proposal from the billboard industry. Atlanta needs less billboards, not more.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 1:55 AM

According to this analysis, the Midtown apartment market should remain quite strong into 2017.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 2:34 AM

Interesting...does it take into account the demand of people who work outside of Midtown like say....Buckhead or Perimeter Center?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:45 AM
BANNED

2 more major software companies are targeting midtown as well. Could be 3,000+ jobs. Not only will Midtown need additional apartments, but condos as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Interesting...does it take into account the demand of people who work outside of Midtown like say....Buckhead or Perimeter Center?
I believe this is just a look a the potential apartment residents from the jobs announced for Midtown alone. Of course many that work in these new jobs will choose to live elsewhere and many that work in other districts will choose to live in Midtown.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I believe this is just a look a the potential apartment residents from the jobs announced for Midtown alone. Of course many that work in these new jobs will choose to live elsewhere and many that work in other districts will choose to live in Midtown.
Sadly, a economics professor at GSU who makes pretty good predictions of the Atlanta and Georgia economies doesn't have a rosy outlook for the Atlanta area going into next year. I am worried the Trump presidency will slow down development in the Atlanta area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...orgia-and.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 6:36 PM
i ain't no bubba

Can't find anything (free) to do in the afternoon on the weekends?

Every Saturday and Sunday from noon until 4pm through February, the Loews (Peachtree and 11th) has a pop-up art gallery in one of the units that's for sale.

Enter through the door on Peachtree, not the hotel, and register at the concierge desk. The unit is vacant except for the artwork but offers a chance to see a $1M+ condo and its stunning views.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:51 PM

Any update on the Emory annex to Atlanta?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Any update on the Emory annex to Atlanta?
I only know that Emory was planning to submit the petition for annexation to city by the end of last year but I haven't read anything indicating whether or not that step has been completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta