HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Dave & Buster's looking at a spot in the Galleria.
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...-location.html
Excellent news, and probably the best location for it.

What's really good about this announcement is that it comes at a time that multiple entertainment venues are announcing locations in the metro. Developers looking for locations for their next projects always look to cities where big time national franchises have already done their homework. Names like Dave and Buster's, TopGolf, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc... make it easy for a developer to look at Birmingham and say "Hmmm, if they liked what they saw, I probably will, too."

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:05 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Excellent news, and probably the best location for it.

What's really good about this announcement is that it comes at a time that multiple entertainment venues are announcing locations in the metro. Developers looking for locations for their next projects always look to cities where big time national franchises have already done their homework. Names like Dave and Buster's, TopGolf, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc... make it easy for a developer to look at Birmingham and say "Hmmm, if they liked what they saw, I probably will, too."
Exactly, it is funny how D&B claimed "to have been looking at Birmingham" for quite some time, but it isn't as if anything radically changed lately. They just needed someone else to pull the trigger first.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:56 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Exactly, it is funny how D&B claimed "to have been looking at Birmingham" for quite some time, but it isn't as if anything radically changed lately. They just needed someone else to pull the trigger first.
Frankly, as far as D&B's is concerned, it is incredibly important to get the location right. I cannot give details, but I know for a fact that D&B's was looking at The Colonnade for their entrance into Birmingham, about 2 years ago... thank goodness they didn't. Considering the potential plans that Bayer has for the land across US 280 from The Summit, I think that traffic would have become a nightmare that no one in Alabama could have had the imagination to fix!

All in all, they did their due diligence to zero in on a location that was perfect. I think that D&B's connection to The Galleria only cements the mall's iconic stature. And that is something, considering that "mega-malls' are rapidly dying out these days.

Anyway, D&B's will undoubtedly be a powerful catalyst for growth south along the I-65 corridor. It will further cement the nexus that is The Galleria... With entertainment closer than ever to locations like Alabaster, Helena, and Calera... Shelby County is going to have to take a serious look at traffic (and hopefully transit).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:27 PM
The Salty Ham

I still think Colonnade makes a lot of sense, and still does for something like a D&B or Top Golf. I don't know what that is, or what is left out there - but the power of that intersection can not be denied. ALDOT has stepped up their plans to redo the interchange and they are already clearing land for either that and some new development like hotels. Also, I'm sure whatever Bayer has planned for the AT&T property will be a huge draw and will necessitate the improvements.

Still...having it go into the RG is a big win for the mall and it is just as good a perhaps better for the inherent foot traffic the mall brings.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 2:59 PM

On Sunday February 26, 2017 I noticed that the former Pickwick Hotel, AKA Hotel Highlands in 5 points will be turned into a Hotel Indigo. I did a little research on Hotel Indigo and found them to be part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group and it competes with the likes of The W, Aloft and Le Meridien Hotels. Along with the now opened Homewood Suites, I think our old 5 Points South is stepping up.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
On Sunday February 26, 2017 I noticed that the former Pickwick Hotel, AKA Hotel Highlands in 5 points will be turned into a Hotel Indigo. I did a little research on Hotel Indigo and found them to be part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group and it competes with the likes of The W, Aloft and Le Meridien Hotels. Along with the now opened Homewood Suites, I think our old 5 Points South is stepping up.
I sure hope so... it seems, lately, that all the activity in downtown/Southside-proper have been sapping all the foot traffic.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I've only been to the downtown Publix a couple times and I am totally blown away!

Service is great, availability is great (this isn't just a corner store), the location is great, and it is SO easily accessible. I live in Huffman, but it is actually much easier for me to do my after-work shopping at the downtown Publix before I drive home. It's not as busy, and the store has everything I need (plus I don't have to fight through the Roebuck WalMart).

The Midtown development is a God send for anyone who lives or works in downtown. I was concerned that the store would be swamped and congested, but it was just another afternoon at the grocery store. I think that this store will lead to many new developments in the future.

Can't way to see what happens to Liberty National!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:54 PM
The Salty Ham

We went and checked it out on a Sunday afternoon and it was as crowded as a suburban Publix on Sunday. They had an employee in the parcking deck directing traffic, which I think is a bit wonky in design but serviceable enough.

At any rate, the store was nice and well appointed and good overall layout. I think it will probably end up showing just how underserved downtown is and someone will have to quickly respond with another market.

A Trader Joe's in Avondale would be a huge win for the city...just throwing that out there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:46 PM

I haven't been to Birmingham in a while, but how is Avondale redeveloping so far? I would love for that whole area to turn into a major hot spot and a prominently attractable place for tourist to visit.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:37 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
I haven't been to Birmingham in a while, but how is Avondale redeveloping so far? I would love for that whole area to turn into a major hot spot and a prominently attractable place for tourist to visit.
I'd say it's the 2nd most popular nightlife area in the city these days, behind only Lakeview. Much different crowds of course.

Not sure I ever really see it becoming a tourist area, other than as a destination to go out for an evening... it's just bars and restaurants. A hotel, for instance, would seems very out of place to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I'd say it's the 2nd most popular nightlife area in the city these days, behind only Lakeview. Much different crowds of course.

Not sure I ever really see it becoming a tourist area, other than as a destination to go out for an evening... it's just bars and restaurants. A hotel, for instance, would seems very out of place to me.
For late night entertainment purposes, when I mean tourist attraction. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Bham area, but could it hold a mid-sized closed music venue there?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:51 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
For late night entertainment purposes, when I mean tourist attraction. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Bham area, but could it hold a mid-sized closed music venue there?
I don't see why not. The neighborhood certainly sees plenty of foot traffic from outside residents and of course, you have a large, growing population surrounding it. Considering the restaurants/bars in the neighborhood for people to patronize both before and after a concert/performance, I don't see why an Iron City scale facility wouldn't be tremendously successful.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:57 PM
The Salty Ham

There is a music venue there. It is called The Saturn.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
There's been a music venue in avondale for years now called saturn....bands play there on atleast 2-3 days out the week. Avondale brewery across the street has bands playing all the time as well. Both places have both local and national acts.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:40 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah Saturn gets some great acts, and is right across from the brewery. fillsthe void of bottletree (same owner, I believe).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 12:04 AM

Had no idea that's where Saturn was. My brother was talking about that place.

Thanks for responses. I don't know Bham as well as I thought, but hopefully it continues to boom- especially around the Avondale area.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 12:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Steel is really starting to rise at TopGolf.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Now they are saying the Southside high rise apartment complex named The Vesta is to start construction in mid November.

I noticed a hint of activity going on at the Southside Highland high rise apartment complex. There was the truck that drill holes to test the soil sitting out in the back parking lot and a small trailer with 2 large plastic containers with some type of liquid in them sitting on the site. I hope this is a sign that construction will start shortly.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:32 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I noticed a hint of activity going on at the Southside Highland high rise apartment complex. There was the truck that drill holes to test the soil sitting out in the back parking lot and a small trailer with 2 large plastic containers with some type of liquid in them sitting on the site. I hope this is a sign that construction will start shortly.
I'm at work downtown trying to get caught up after less than productive week. I'll drive by and look around. If there's anything significant, I'll try to get a picture. That thing really needs to get built. If it doesn't, it might be a sign of what downtown's multifamily construction will be in the coming years.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:44 PM
The Salty Ham

Rumor was there was a lawsuit holding it up that was recently settled. So construction should be back on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast