HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Seems over-designed and not that functional. I'd be glad to be wrong- but seems like a hodgepodge of impervious surfaces added to the area instead of green space that makes sense.
Well this is the concept that includes everybody's wish list of what they would like to see in the park. On the other hand, a long stretch of just a lawn would be incredibly boring and not very useful to the neighborhood.

It still has to be funded so who knows what may actually be included especially the cap of the connector. The design for historic Fourth Ward Park was a lot different than what was actually able to be built.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:49 PM

Speaking of O4W park, I know it is unlikely but I wish the Georgia Power property could be used to expand the park. Here is the original plan versus what was built.
On the Memorial drive park, I hope the state gets involved since the park is related to the state Capitol.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:22 PM

Centennial Park Renovation to start this summer

The start of construction is expected to begin July 5 with construction completed no later than Jan. 1, 2019.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...r-for-17m.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 12:32 PM

Work to begin May 19 on $45M Rodney Cook Sr. Park

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Initial thoughts- looks like a fantastic addition for the neighborhood and city

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:32 PM

Those renderings look great. I hope the city continues to put this kind of effort into park design. Browsing Google Maps, it looks like most of the neighborhood parks in the city are little more than a grass field with a circle of sidewalk around it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:37 PM

Wow! That looks great!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Those renderings look great. I hope the city continues to put this kind of effort into park design. Browsing Google Maps, it looks like most of the neighborhood parks in the city are little more than a grass field with a circle of sidewalk around it.
In the past this has been the case but the designs for the re-done Piedmont Park and Old Forth Ward park have been much better. I believe that Grant Park is ungoing a renovation as well and hopefully improved design elements will prevail there as well..

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:26 PM

I would like to see Atlanta build more pedestrian pocket plazas in the more dense areas of the city itself, maybe with fountains in the middle and benches....that is something Atlanta lacks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I would like to see Atlanta build more pedestrian pocket plazas in the more dense areas of the city itself, maybe with fountains in the middle and benches....that is something Atlanta lacks.
West midtown SERIOUSLY lacks park space, this would be excellent.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:08 PM

Demo of the chamber of commerce building is underway for the Centennial Park renovation.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
I love this!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:10 AM

According to saporta report, proctor creek greenway is getting the green light immediately with funding from the $.04 sales tax that will also fund beltline ROW acquisition. $3 million for the first phase of the eventual 7 mile trail essentially from Maddox park and the beltline, past Bankhead, past the reservoir park, and to the chattahoochee, where a bridge will be constructed over it to connect with more trails http://saportareport.com/atlantas-mu...ght-85-breach/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:05 PM

Path Parkway is coming along. I think it needs a better name.

This made me wish that Coke would do something with their campus. The surrounding area is changing rapidly and the Coke HQ just feels like an huge fortress.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:14 PM

Juniper Bike Lane

I wasn't sure where to include this question. Regarding the Juniper Bike lane, did construction get delayed for this project? I was thinking it was starting earlier this year, although what I found from Midtown Alliance shows a Fall 2017 start date with 18-24 month timeframe. This seems like an incredibly long duration for an infrastructure project of it's size.

http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/doc...on_juniper.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:03 PM

I'm not sure about a delay, but from past experience any projects funded by Midtown Alliance tend to be on very slow time frames. They do things in small manageable chunks. They'll probably do a block of Juniper a month over the course of two years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know who owns that huge parking lot between this new park and Northside Drive? Is it controlled by the Georgia World Congress Center? You can see it in the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Does anyone know who owns that huge parking lot between this new park and Northside Drive? Is it controlled by the Georgia World Congress Center? You can see it in the rendering.
Should still be owned by Georgia Power. That's where their massive coal power plant was -- there's still a rail siding and, of course, Electric Avenue

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Should still be owned by Georgia Power. That's where their massive coal power plant was -- there's still a rail siding and, of course, Electric Avenue
I'd love to see a multipurpose trail built on this siding. It would be a boon to the neighborhood and would help tie the proposed Ivan Allen PATH trail and new Cook Park to the future Beltline.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:01 PM

Grant Park’s new parking deck

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-...rooftop-green/

Quote:
Mayor Kasim Reed this morning is unveiling the city’s design for a 1,000-space, $48 million parking deck at Grant Park that will replace the space-wasting, seven-acre parking lot off Boulevard officials say is insufficient. The three-tier deck will be partially embedded into the hillside and—in a move that helped win support from the neighborhood and park advocates—capped by a green roof and a restaurant with views of the Downtown skyline in the distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta