HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:38 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

you just offended canada, an important presence on this board. shame all over and on you.

i work for a living cleaning up the results of extraction and it doesn't pay as well. and stinks, like being a gravedigger.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:25 AM

^ I meant no insult, though re-reading my post, it does sound a bit arrogant and nasty. Sorry, Xing. I got carried away with my modern-day exasperation with a rather ancient technology.

Centropolis... I used to do clean up too. Cleaned up the mess made by oil, coal, and chemicals. It does stink, but have you ever been to a cleanup at a pogy plant iin the summer in Louisiana? ... worst smell on our planet. Jesus H Christ, I still have the stench in my sinus passages.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Centropolis... I used to do clean up too. Cleaned up the mess made by oil, coal, and chemicals. It does stink, but have you ever been to a cleanup at a pogy plant iin the summer in Louisiana? ... worst smell on our planet. Jesus H Christ, I still have the stench in my sinus passages.
HaHAH, no. Besides oil and gas refineries when it is 95 w/ humidity (can it get worse?) and cancerous manufactured gas plant cleanup (coal gas), I have done work at an animal oil refinery (lard), a variety of smells that i didn't previously know about, everything hot to the touch, slick stairs and pipes dripping during a heat wave complete with weird depression era nazi germany manufactured cast iron fittings complete with swastikas. no fishies, though, but i've experienced smells as bad as can be experienced, i think. i mean does it get worse than someone involuntarily crying and puking while laughing )or not) that has a pretty stout ability to handle the smell of hot shit and vomit?

Last edited by Centropolis; May 27, 2011 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
HaHAH, no. Besides oil and gas refineries when it is 95 w/ humidity (can it get worse?) and cancerous manufactured gas plant cleanup (coal gas), I have done work at an animal oil refinery (lard), a variety of smells that i didn't previously know about, everything hot to the touch, slick stairs and pipes dripping during a heat wave complete with weird depression era nazi germany manufactured cast iron fittings complete with swastikas. no fishies, though, but i've experienced smells as bad as can be experienced, i think. i mean does it get worse than someone involuntarily crying and puking while laughing )or not) that has a pretty stout ability to handle the smell of hot shit and vomit?
Having done a wide variety of environmental remediation work, I know that work out in the field can be pretty nasty sometimes... with the variety of accompanying nasty smells... and just some plain old weird stuff. The pogy plant cleanup was my worst for absolutely putrid aromas... they grind up massive catches of menhaden (pogy) fish to extract the oils and make a nasty fishmeal, and then cook the extraction to process the oils and meal for later uses in food additives, fertilizers, cosmetics, and other shit you never knew contains this nasty fishy crap. I would think it's probably similar in awfulness to that animal oil refinery... god, that sounds awful

If you'e downwind, you can smell one of these plants along the gulf from a mile away at least. It actually makes you gag a bit from that far away and when closer, like a couple hundred yards or so, you may vomit... inside the plant where the cooking process is... fucking overwhelming. I never understood how some of the guys (and gals) working there ever got used to it. I mean, that smell just had to be with them at all times... it stayed with me for days afterward. A dude from Louisiana who I worked with and who had been to those sites before, called me a few days later to ask if I still had pogy in my nose.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:58 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
A two hundred year old, deeply-ingrained industrial system based on the lowest form of economic development, that being natural resource extraction, has very much to do with a state's social problems.
I feel you've proven my point. If St. Louis (or Missouri) only relied on a single industry to sustain its economy - it too would be up shit creek without a paddle - socially and economically.

Keep in mind that coal is mined all across the world, and yes, it is a dirty business. However, Appalachia is not in the shape it's in because of coal.

If what you suggest is true, then a lack of forward-thinking leadership, educational attainment and economic diversification are the likely key culprits of W.V.'s economic and social woes - not coal. And if what you say is true, then W.V. leadership should pursue more new economy jobs such as healthcare, IT, technology, finance, green jobs etc. along with more old economy jobs.

There may be a coal mindset in W.V. because coal is simply what they know best and it doesn't require a high skill set unless you are a "suit". In most cases, you don't have to have a college degree to mine coal. Why get a degree if there's an abundance of coal mine jobs waiting? I get your point, but still maintain that coal is not the problem - the mindset is. The coal will be mined even if the mindset changes AND it would continue to be a big industry for West Virginia if there's demand for it.

Last edited by Arch City; May 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
^ Yeah, I understand all the points made... I may not agree with them, but I understand what both of you are trying to say. However, advocating for increased domestic coal production is a difficult position to defend... especially considering the history and effects of the coal industry in the Appalachian US, West Virginia in particular. A two hundred year old, deeply-ingrained industrial system based on the lowest form of economic development, that being natural resource extraction, has very much to do with a state's social problems.
Do you have any ideas as to how to continue on with modern day society without natural resource extraction? Hell, we've been extracting natural resources, since, well, forever. I mean, you do realize that, even if, say, 100% of our power came from the wind, we'd still need some level of natural resource extraction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:18 PM
Proud Homer!

This was a shrewd deal in my opinion, but the world's largest private-sector coal company (based in St. Louis) grows larger.

Australia-based MacArthur Coal has been acquired by St. Louis-based Peabody Energy. MacArthur previously wouldn't sell solely to Peabody, but after Peabody Energy approached ArcelorMittal to form a joint venture to help secure the deal, MacArthur sold out for $5-billion dollars.

In a turn of events, ArcelorMittal has decided to sell its interest stake in MacArthur to Peabody Energy essentially making Peabody the 100% owner of MacArthur Coal, which is the world's largest producer of (seaborne) low volatile pulverised coal injection (LV PCI) coal product used for steel making. As a supplier to the world's leading steel producers, MacArthur Coal exports its entire product around the globe.

Peabody's Boyce on ArcelorMittal pull-out: We always preferred a larger ownership of Macarthur Coal
St. Louis Business Journal by Kelsey Volkmann, Web Editor
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 7:47am CDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 11:42am CDT

Peabody Energy will now become 100 percent owner of Macarthur Coal after ArcelorMittal pulled out of their joint $5 billion bid for the Australian coal miner.

Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Gregory Boyce said his company preferred it that way anyway, raising questions about whether this move was planned all along.

“While we anticipated a positive joint venture with ArcelorMittal, we have always preferred a larger ownership," Boyce said. "We partnered with ArcelorMittal to increase the likelihood of achieving control of Macarthur, which has now occurred. ArcelorMittal's decision accelerates our ability to realize synergies, integrate the operations and benefit from results.”

(Read More)

Links:
Peabody Energy
Macarthur Coal
Major U.S. Coal Producers (As of, February 2011)

Last edited by Arch City; Oct 25, 2011 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:25 PM
Proud Homer!

In other coal news from St. Louis, Armstrong Energy, a private coal firm headquartered in Clayton, has filed for an IPO.

Coal producer Armstrong Energy files for a $69 million IPO
10/12/11

Armstrong Energy headquarters on Forsyth Boulevard, Clayton

Armstrong Energy, a producer and distributor of high sulfur thermal coal, filed on Wednesday with the SEC to raise up to $69 million in an initial public offering. The firm is stationed near the Illinois Basin in Western Kentucky and markets their coal to electric utility companies as fuel for their steam powered generators. During the first six months of 2011 Armstrong energy has produced 3.2 million tons of coal from their six operating mines. The St. Louis, MO-based company was founded in 2006 and booked $240 million in revenues for the 12 months ended June 30, 2011.

(Read more)

Link:
St. Louis Business Journal: Armstrong Energy, affliate plan IPOs

Last edited by Arch City; Oct 25, 2011 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:31 PM
Proud Homer!

Also, Foresight Energy, which moved its offices from the Miami, Florida area to St. Louis earlier this year, has finished the buildout of its corporate offices in Metropolitan Square in downtown St. Louis.

Here are a few pictures.

Last edited by Arch City; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:10 PM
Proud Homer!

President Obama is catching a lot of flak because of the State Department's decision to delay expansion of the Keystone XL Pipeline through Nebraska on to established refineries Houston and Port Arthur, Texas.

Politicos in Texas are upset because they see the delay as delaying job opportunities for their state. Others see this as a political ploy by Illinois politicians because the expanded pipleline could allow TransCanada to bypass the Wood River Refinery and a storage site at Patoka - which are just outside of St. Louis in Illinois. Others fear the refined oil in Texas would be shipped to China and other countries. A lot of these concerns were sparked by an editorial in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

FYI: The Wood River Refinery is now the 6th largest refinery in the United States. It is the ConocoPhillips' largest refinery. The original Keystone Pipeline started pumping crude into the Wood River Refinery in June of 2010. ConocoPhillips recently completed a $3-billion expansion of the refinery.

Editorial: Reconsidering the tar sands oil pipeline makes sense for U.S.
By the Editorial Board STLtoday.com | Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:00 am

The U.S. State Department last week put off for at least a year a decision on the controversial Keystone XL pipeline proposal. The decision had been expected by the end of 2011 but now seems unlikely before early in 2013.

A delay makes sense. Too many disturbing issues continue to swirl around the application by the TransCanada corporation to add 1,600 miles to its existing Keystone 1 pipeline network for Canadian tar sands crude oil.

The XL expansion would allow the company to pump its heated slurry of sludge-like crude oil and solvent from storage sites near Calgary, Alberta, to refining facilities near Houston and Port Arthur, Texas. From those port cities, the Canadian company easily could ship its products to customers overseas.

An existing branch of the 2,151-mile Keystone 1 pipeline crosses northern Missouri and tunnels under the Mississippi River in St. Charles County. It surfaces in Illinois, delivering crude to the Wood River Refinery at Roxana and a storage site at Patoka. The XL expansion would allow TransCanada to bypass the Illinois facilities.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Read More

Below is an aerial of the Wood River Refinery about 15 miles from downtown St. Louis.

Below is a map of the current Keystone Pipeline and the expansion plans.

Last edited by Arch City; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:23 PM
Eurosceptic

This is still the best thread title in City Discussions.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:36 PM

yep.

I think I can see my favorite pinball joint in that aerial...

http://www.cppinball.com/

BYOB...If anyone is every in that neighborhood...sometimes the air makes your lungs hurt so you'll need the beer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
Proud Homer!

The growing company is exploring relocating from downtown to the CORTEX technology district. If so, they will build a new headquarters. The current headquarters is two blocks north from Peabody Energy - the world's largest private sector coal company.

Laclede to Buy Assets From Energy Transfer for $1.02 Billion
Bloomberg
Jim Polson and Mike LeeDec 17, 2012 4:24 pm ET
(Updates with closing share prices in 11th paragraph.)

The LaClede Group, Inc. headquarters in downtown St. Louis.

Dec. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Laclede Group Inc., owner of Missouri’s largest natural gas company, agreed to buy utility assets from Energy Transfer Partners LP and Energy Transfer Equity LP for $1.02 billion in cash to almost double its customer base as it seeks more acquisitions.

Laclede, based in St. Louis, also agreed to assume $20 million in debt to purchase Missouri Gas Energy and New England Gas Co., according to a statement today. The $898 million market value company plans to issue debt and equity to finance the deal, executives said today on a conference call.

“This investment is transformative,” Laclede Chief Executive Officer Suzanne Sitherwood, 52, said in the statement. The purchase “will effectively double our size by increasing our utility customer base from approximately 630,000 to nearly 1.2 million.”

Laclede will become the fourth largest U.S. gas distributor by customers, behind Atlanta-based AGL Resources Inc., Dallas- based Atmos Energy Corp. and Las Vegas-based Southwest Gas Corp., Chief Financial Officer Mark Waltermire said today on a conference call with investors.

Missouri Gas and Northeast Gas are the first attractive gas distributors up for sale since Sitherwood’s arrival last year from AGL Resources Inc., which became the largest U.S. gas distribution owner in a series of transactions capped by the $3.2 billion purchase of Nicor Inc. a year ago, said Timothy Winter, a St. Louis-based analyst for Gabelli & Co.

AGL Strategy

“She’s sort of applied the AGL strategy to Laclede,” said Winter, who rates Laclede shares at hold and owns none himself. “She outlined that she was putting a system and personnel in place to accommodate the acquisition of additional gas utility properties.”

Laclede’s acquisition team will continue to examine each of the two or three U.S. gas utilities that come up for sale each year while today’s takeover is pending, Sitherwood said today in a telephone interview. While the Midwest is a “better place for us,” the company will look nationally, she said.

Missouri Gas supplies about 500,000 homes and businesses in the state’s west, including Kansas City and Joplin. New England Gas has 50,000 customers in southeastern Massachusetts.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
Proud Homer!

*Who's Who in Energy 2012*

Regions Profiled

Dallas
Denver
Houston
St. Louis
San Antonio
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:43 PM
Proud Homer!

FEW: 'Where Producers Meet'
More than 2,000 people will gather in St. Louis for the 29th Annual International Fuel Ethanol Workshop & Expo.

St. Louis introduced the world to the first cast-iron dome, the first skyscraper and launched the historic Lewis and Clark expedition. With a rich history of innovation and discovery, it is little wonder that the 29th Annual International Fuel Ethanol Workshop & Expo will make its home in St. Louis.

More than 2,000 industry professionals are expected to attend the FEW, which will be headquartered at the America’s Center in downtown St. Louis June 10-13. Nearly one-fourth of the attendees will be ethanol producers, who, last year, represented 87 percent of U.S. production capacity. All seven Canadian provinces were represented along with 41 U.S. states and 33 countries.

“As the international ethanol industry’s leading production-oriented event, the FEW truly lives up to its mantra, ‘Where Producers Meet,’” says Tom Bryan, president of BBI International and editor-in-chief of Ethanol Producer Magazine. “Plant employees, managers and board members attend the FEW because it’s built around their needs. The agenda is rich with content aimed at helping them run their facilities more efficiently and more profitably, and the expo is full of industry service providers and equipment manufacturers eager to talk to plant personnel about new technology and solutions.”

Tour Highlights
The FEW goes beyond the expo and workshops to include networking opportunities during golfing and a newly-expanded-to-two-day offering of industry tours. The golf outing at the Gateway National Golf Links requires preregistration. On the first day of the conference attendees will have the chance to see the state-of-the-art Bunge-SCF Grain Elevator on the Mississippi River in Fairmont City, Ill. The terminal can handle approximately 300 truck deliveries per day and boasts 1 million bushels of grain storage capacity. That afternoon, the tour buses will cross the river to Monsanto’s campus at Chesterfield, Mo., where participants will learn about the breadth of the company’s work from seed genetics to the entomology of a corn field.

Tour participants on the final day of the FEW will be joining in a celebration of 10 years of research at the National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center on the Southern Illinois University campus in Edwardsville, Ill. Over its decade in existence, nearly 50 different technologies now found in the ethanol industry have passed through the facility. NCERC is lining up a special program with speakers from the National Corn Growers Association, the American Coalition for Ethanol, Renewable Fuels Association and others. Additionally, the tour will feature the center’s analytical and fermentation labs, the pilot-scale ethanol plant on site and will include a look at two feedstock programs and a mini-exposition showcasing the latest equipment in corn production.

Read More

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:29 AM
Proud Homer!

Last updated: November 18, 2014 8:03 pm
SunEdison takes top renewable power slot
London Financial Times
Ed Crooks in New York

Mr. Brian Wuebbels has been Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President at Sun Edison LLC Headquarters in St. Louis

SunEdison can continue its growth even without the support of tax credits in the US, the company said on Monday, as it agreed a $2.4bn deal for privately owned First Wind that will make it the world’s largest developer of wind and solar power.

The deal shares out First Wind between SunEdison and Terraform Power, its 64 per cent-owned listed unit. The parent company is taking a portfolio of wind power development projects for $1bn, and committing up to $510m in future payments based on the performance of the business, while the subsidiary takes the wind farms that are in operation for a price of $862m. SunEdison shares rose 30 per cent on Tuesday, with Terraform up 28 per cent.

First Wind develops and operates wind farms in the US, including in the states of Maine, New York, Hawaii and Vermont.

SunEdison says the deal means that it will be “by far” the world’s largest developer of new renewable energy projects, with the possible exception of some large hydropower dam developers.

Read More

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 11:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well this is a very interesting thread. stl's role aside, i had no idea what was going on with all this alternative energy business. i never really paid attention. shame on me.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:54 PM

coal, ethanol, wind, hydro, solar, fracking, natural gas, steam, burrito power! ill take all of those at the moment, especially if they are domestically produced. at least we have a fairly diverse list of fuel sources. china rely's on coal for nearly 70 percent of its electricity output. and all the crap blows due east!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
This is still the best thread title in City Discussions.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 11:55 PM
Proud Homer!

From the Energy Collective:

SunEdison, TerraForm Buy First Wind For $2.4B to Become Renewable Project Giant
Posted November 23, 2014

SunEdison and its YieldCo Teraform just acquired wind developer First Wind for $2.4 billion. It means SunEdison is in the wind business and can now add wind projects to the solar project pipeline of its YieldCo, TerraForm. The purchase price was comprised of $1.9 billion in an upfront payment and a $510 million earn-out.

This makes SunEdison one of the world's largest, if not the largest, renewable energy developers.

Jigar Shah, the founder of SunEdison tells GTM, "Access to low-cost capital is a huge strategic advantage today. First Wind needs access to this capital and this transaction shows that SunEdison has more credibility on YieldCos and low-cost capital than anyone."

YieldCo TerraForm will be acquiring 521 megawatts of active wind and solar power plants. SunEdison will acquire more than "1.6 gigawatts of pipeline and backlog, adding to TerraForm Power's call right project list." These projects are expected to be operational in 2016 to 2017.

Read More

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest