HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bilingual even though it's in Moncton, not Dieppe.

Interestingly enough the same chain is opening or has opened in Ottawa with no bilingual signage...
For what it's worth, the Cabela's (and BPS) in the NCR are (will be) in Kanata and not in Ottawa. This might make some difference in the exterior signage used at the stores since the western Ottawa suburbs are overwhelmingly anglophone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Even if Cabela's will be smaller than BPS, I think it might be more successful because lots of people around here love and know the brand. Some people I mentioned BPS to were not as aware of the brand or were completely unaware of...
I suspect you may be right, at least initially. Cabela's is indeed more of a known quantity. This will inspire brand loyalty. On the other hand, there appear to be misconceptions about BPS. Once people figure out that BPS and Cabela's are very similar to each other, and in many ways in the same retail space as LL Bean, then you might see the playing field levelling off.

Moncton will indeed benefit from having both stores only a few km from each other. There will be synergy between the two which will promote comparison shopping and this will in turn lead to even more retail tourism. It's interesting to note that BPS and Cabela's will be neighbours in Kanata as well. Perhaps there is a method to both these retailers madness.......

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
For what it's worth, the Cabela's (and BPS) in the NCR are (will be) in Kanata and not in Ottawa. This might make some difference in the exterior signage used at the stores since the western Ottawa suburbs are overwhelmingly anglophone.

Kanata is now part of the City of Ottawa, but it's true the west end of Ottawa is very anglophone.

Mapleton is also not really near Dieppe, though obviously the Moncton area is a lot smaller than Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:22 PM

Interesting. Could Cadillac Fairview bring Uniqlo, a Japanese clothing chain, to Champlain Place in the future?

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6546240

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeshio View Post
Interesting. Could Cadillac Fairview bring Uniqlo, a Japanese clothing chain, to Champlain Place in the future?

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6546240
Possibly, but Uniqlo is just entering the Canadian market and the first two stores will be in the most upscale malls in TO (Yorkdale and Eaton's Centre). We would never see a Uniqlo store here until the third or fourth roll-out wave. Give it another 10 years or so......

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:21 PM

There's a story about them in today's T & T. They are moving besides the Hampton inn
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...-dealership-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Any word on where Moncton Chrysler is going to build their new Dealership? They are talking about it in their current radio ads.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
There's a story about them in today's T & T. They are moving besides the Hampton inn
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...-dealership-to
Interesting. One of the other forumers noted last year that this land had been sold. I can't remember which one it was.

It's impressive how many local car dealerships are building anew all of a sudden. I guess all it takes is one to start and then the rest follow.

Location and visibility seem to figure strongly in these decisions. All of the new dealerships are visible either from route 15 or the TCH.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:22 AM

I remember seeing that lot has sold when I moved to Moncton back in the fall. I have an idea for the site of the mountain-plaza location. I'm working on drawing something up. Basically it's would see plaza realigned with Ryan.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am positive there are several other BMO branches in Canada where the signage is bilingual. Places like Bathurst and Campbellton almost certainly would, as would places like Hawkesbury and Kapuskasing in Ontario.
The BMO in Dalhousie is English on the front of the building and Banque de Montréal on the side.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding Moncton Chrysler:

The story was in the print version of the T&T today:

- The new dealership next to the Hampton Inn will occupy 9 acres.
- Groundbreaking will be in the Spring, with opening in Fall 2016.
- The existing dealership is 23,000 sq ft. The new dealership will be 84,000 sq ft.
- The new store will have a showroom capable of displaying 10 vehicles, making it one of the largest showrooms across the country.
- The new service centre will have 29 bays (up from 12 currently).
- The current dealership has 94 employees. They expect to hire an additional 40 people.
- No decision has been made as to what will happen to their current dealership on Mountain Road, but they have already had "suitors" inquiring about the property for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:39 AM

It could be that the BMO v-p dude I spoke to at the Dieppe grand opening re bilingual signage was:
a) under a misunderstanding
b) lying
c) told this by someone who had no clue what he/she was talking about.

I suspect option a or c. Could it be that it was true at the time that the Dieppe BMO opened? Who knows.....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:

- The existing dealership is 23,000 sq ft. The new dealership will be 84,000 sq ft.
- The new store will have a showroom capable of displaying 10 vehicles, making it one of the largest showrooms across the country.
- The current dealership has 94 employees. They expect to hire an additional 40 people.
- No decision has been made as to what will happen to their current dealership on Mountain Road, but they have already had "suitors" inquiring about the property for redevelopment.

Wow thats good news for the City and the area... The existing spot looks crammed and could use more room. And I think a extra 40 jobs will be welcome in the city of Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 11:48 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:

Great news

They have been a top performing dealer for years...good for them

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 12:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So I see that the liquidation sale at Target begins on Thursday. Anyone going?

Personally, the whole Target fiasco has left such a bad taste in my mouth I think I'll stay away........

Speaking of Target, I wonder with it's demise, will the City of Moncton move their northwest bus terminal back to it's old location?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Target, I wonder with it's demise, will the City of Moncton move their northwest bus terminal back to it's old location?
I hope not, actually. This would be a great opportunity for a real bus terminal in the northwest. Something like this with perhaps a concession stand and restrooms at one end. The current temporary northwest stop is always busy with a few buses at a time so I'm sure this would be well utilized. It sure would look great on Plaza blvd and it seems like there would be space on the south side of the street next to Future Shop. Seems much more appropriate than at a strip mall parking lot. More central to the whole shopping district as well.

source

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:28 AM

Quote:
So I see that the liquidation sale at Target begins on Thursday. Anyone going?

Personally, the whole Target fiasco has left such a bad taste in my mouth I think I'll stay away........

Surely it will happen. But according to the CBC, "If the liquidation is approved by the court, Target Canada expects that liquidation would begin within a few days,". So on Wednesday, the company aims to have court approval for a group of liquidation companies to oversee the sell-off of all store contents. Once approved then the Liquidator would start the sale on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/targ...iday-1.2940552

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:22 AM

liquidation sales always suck, from the ones i can remember, like eatons, sears (ones that had closed) they started with the entire store being 10% off, than as the weeks passed they would drop some more, it took weeks to get to 50% off level and a lot of stuff never really dropped much at all like electronics i don't think went lower than 20% off the entire time.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:26 PM

In the final days of The Bay I scampered over and bought a ton of clothes that were pennies on the dollar. They weren't exactly my size, but very close.
Now that I've put on, like, 2 extra pounds, none of them fit anymore. LOL!
I just cleaned them all out. The Association for Community Living is about to get a donation of a few big bags of once-worn new shirts and pants.
I will not fall into this trap at Target. Not a big fan of shopping anyway. I don't really need anything so likely will skip this event, though you never know if I happen to be in the area.
I will bet that the shelves will be more full than they ever were when they were in business.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
1. So the whole Target Canada debacle is a nightmare, but I don't see why people should stay away from the deals. Canadians vote with their wallets, if deals are to be found, people will head over there regardless of the boycott and anti-Target sentiment going on right now. We will certainly head over there a couple of times before it closes. Even if the brand is now tarnished in the eyes of many Canadians, Canadians will still shop over at Target when they travel to the US. In any event, Target will now concentrate their efforts in the US and will do well in the future, I read that Target Canada represented only 3% of their business as a whole, nothing too significant is you ask me. Good luck and goodbye Target.

2. Not too retail related but... for the bus terminal or transit station; Moncton needs a decent, permanent and efficient terminal in that part of the city (Northwest). That whole bus stop fiasco next to the Walmart is a hazard for cars + pedestrians and quite a problem for the traffic flow. Get it done.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Feb 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new GoodLife Fitness at the Mapleton Centre will open on Thursday February 19th.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:39 AM

I stopped into Target early today and found the sale at 10-30% off. And the store was packed with long lines at the cashier. Why?? I do not know. I am sure during the past year Target has had these items on sale for more than the 10-30% off being offered. But I guess people saw the word "SALE" and they flocked to the store. Most items were the 10 or 20% off and even with the discount they were still the same price or more expensive than at competitors stores. Bring on the 50-70% off and I will pick through the leftovers for that gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces