HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:35 PM

What if? Aroostook County is Canadian

I was debating putting this in the Canada section, but it'll probably get more attention here. (Whether it gets discussion is another matter).

When I was younger, and getting ready for long car trips to visit family in Ontario, I'd always look at the map, and wonder why we had to go Up and Over to get to Ontario, when it would be so much 'faster' if we could just cut across Northern Maine. Now that I'm older, it's obvious why we don't, but it does make me wonder.

How might things be different if the US thumb was Canadian? If sometime back when our borders were being decided, they decided to continue Quebec's southern border line straight across to New Brunswick? (It would cross Maine just above Bangor, and come out around St Stephen/Calais) Admittedly this takes in more than Aroostook County; it even takes a chunk of New Hampshire as well, but Aroostook is the biggest element of it.

The territory could be given to Quebec or NB or split between them, but regardless it would be Canadian and not American.

Would the provinces expand into that territory more than has happened in real life? Or would the wilderness be too rough to bother with? Would we see the TCH thread through that instead of up to the Gaspe?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces