HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 2:57 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Large scale buildings!?!
These are 1:650 micro scale models, not exactly large scale! If you want large scale, the buildings shown above in post #1463 are about 1:50 scale and range up to 11 feet high (there are 5 that are over 6 feet high). I have nothing against micro scale of course, but that statement just seems funny to someone who just displayed a 60 pound, 7.5 feet high LEGO model of the David Stott Building last weekend.

Doc. Oc, I suppose they *ARE* larger than the scale you are using; btw, I like your VAB model.
Well, large compared to my 1:2400 haha. If that's a micro scale build then I guess mine are nano scale

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:21 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

One more for the series - the CTF (Chow Tai Fook) Finance Centre in Guangzhou, China.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 3:18 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Hey Doctor Octoroc, how can I get your instructions for your buildings?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 6:46 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
Hey Doctor Octoroc, how can I get your instructions for your buildings?
I'm still kicking around ideas on what to do with them. I've debated doing some sort of Kickstarter with sets of instructions as rewards and maybe even physical sets for higher contributions - but that even minimal contributors can get a lot for their smaller donations. But it would have to go beyond just sharing the instructions - it would need to be an effort to publish a book or something along those lines and I haven't done enough research yet to determine the legitimacy of creating an unofficial set of LEGO instructions.

I've also debated whether or not an idea for a book vs a set would garner the proper attention on the LEGO Ideas site. For now, I'm just focusing on hitting that 100 mark for how many sets of quality instructions I can create.

And as of now I'm up to 59 structures all complete with instructions and cover art. Here are the latest ones - a series of smaller buildings that span the historical timeline of taller structures that, while dwarfed by comparison to modern day skyscrapers, are achievements in their own right:

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 6:59 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Nice models! Do you take requests?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 2:55 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Nice models! Do you take requests?
Yeah, a lot of the models I've done so far were requests. The Home Insurance building, the Vehicle Assembly Building, London Shard, Trump Tower in Chicago, Oriental Pearl Tower, City of Capitals, the original World Trade Center, plus various buildings in the 'tallest in their state' were also requests I did sooner on account of them being requests.

Most recently, I finished a request for the Eiffel Tower.

So I'm definitely open to requests - it should just be tall or significant, historically speaking. The Home Insurance Building is one of the shortest in the series but since it was considered the first modern skyscraper, I decided to add it to the series.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 5:37 PM

Hey all,

Marchitecture has begun! Check out the group for more details, and get building!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/marchitecture/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:36 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

A few more for the series finished - went back to some of the skyscrapers I've been meaning to do for awhile, as well as some other requests from around the web.

LEGO Elite Residence by Levi Buffum, on Flickr

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 1, 2016 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
Pro Web Slinger

Is there a way that I can get your Legodelphia instructions? It is very difficult to figure it out myself :/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:29 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Is there a way that I can get your Legodelphia instructions? It is very difficult to figure it out myself :/
I haven't even entertained the idea of putting together instructions for Legodelphia - it's over 20k pieces and would take months to even organize all the blocks into separate instructions let alone arrange a comprehensive guide to building the whole thing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 7:57 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Doc Oc, you should consider spending some time on a larger scale model or two. Based on your current nano-scale works, I think it would be interesting to see what you come up with at something closer to mine and Spencer's (username: jsr) scale of 1:650!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:22 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
Doc Oc, you should consider spending some time on a larger scale model or two. Based on your current nano-scale works, I think it would be interesting to see what you come up with at something closer to mine and Spencer's (username: jsr) scale of 1:650!
I've definitely thought about it. But there's something about the smaller scale that I like having the challenge to use pieces creatively as they weren't necessarily intended.

Plus I'm all in on this series now lol. No turning back. I plan to hit 100 at least and then I'll start thinking about choosing my favorites to do larger scale models.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 9:18 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octoroc View Post
I haven't even entertained the idea of putting together instructions for Legodelphia - it's over 20k pieces and would take months to even organize all the blocks into separate instructions let alone arrange a comprehensive guide to building the whole thing.
But you built it on lego digital designer, and you can create instructions using it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:47 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
But you built it on lego digital designer, and you can create instructions using it.
LDD doesn't output instructions - I'd have to take it into MLCad, organize all of the pieces, add steps, rotations, sub models, etc. then take it into LPub and format every page, create multiple sets for each section of blocks and the base(s), then compile them into PDF format.

LDD does have an in program step-by-step feature but it's completely senseless and doesn't actually have any rhyme or reason to it.

Plus, I'm not exactly keen on sharing a model that I poured 6 months of my life into designing, building, ordering the pieces, etc. It's my baby and I don't want clones of him running around

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:54 AM
Pro Web Slinger

You don't have to share your instructions with the whole world. If you want I can send you a pm telling you my email.
Also all I really want it for is One Liberty Place. The building is very special to me because I have been to Philly and may be going again this year

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 11:38 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Another model finished to add to the US 50 miniseries, the IDS Center in Minneapolis, MN United States.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 10:31 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

A few more done and one in the works!

First up is the John Hancock Tower in Boston, MA United States - also known as 200 Clarendon. Next are two TV/Radio Towers, both in China - Tianjin Tower in Tianjin and Central Tower in Beiijing. These two are nearly identical builds with the exact same piece count as well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:16 AM
Pro Web Slinger

Could you do Sky Tower in Auckland?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:22 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Could you do Sky Tower in Auckland?
That looks like a cool one, already got the pieces in mind for it! There are about ten towers before it in descending order from the last one but I'll get to it sooner if/when the others get redundant!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:02 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more from the original 'Tallest' series finished. Almas Tower in Dubai, UAE and The Pinnacle in Guangzhou, China.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 8, 2016 at 4:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art