HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:20 PM
Global Citizen

ROTTERDAM | De Rotterdam | 149 M / 489 FT | 41 FLOORS

Height: 149.1 meter (489 feet)
Floors: 41
Use: Office / Hotel / Apartments
Cost: approx. €350 million (US-$ 475 million)

Official website: www.derotterdam.nl

Architect: Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA)

Start: 14 December 2009
Finish: Mid-2013

Render:

http://207.44.228.231/marin/De%20Rotterdam17.jpg

http://207.44.228.231/marin/De%20Rotterdam16.jpg

http://207.44.228.231/marin/De%20Rotterdam15.jpg

http://207.44.228.231/marin/De%20Rotterdam.gif

Green & Blue: Offices
Yellow: Apartments
Orange: Hotel

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 12:55 AM

The cantilevering in the apartment section of the building looks downright treacherous. Matter of fact, I've always been somewhat disturbed when seeing tower renders that feature this element.

Can anyone here point me to or educate me as to the potential hazards involved and/or how they're avoided? Demonstrating a chic trend in skyscraper design that apparently A) puts human life in potential danger and B) sacrifices common-sensical engineering safety standards isn't worth the risks that I perceive to exist.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 12:58 AM
Look at me!

I'm impressed to see Rotterdam embracing highrises so much. Why so?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
The cantilevering in the apartment section of the building looks downright treacherous. Matter of fact, I've always been somewhat disturbed when seeing tower renders that feature this element.

Can anyone here point me to or educate me as to the potential hazards involved and/or how they're avoided? Demonstrating a chic trend in skyscraper design that apparently A) puts human life in potential danger and B) sacrifices common-sensical engineering safety standards isn't worth the risks that I perceive to exist.
You cannot be serious. You don't think this will not be just as safe as any other building out there? How often to high-rises, even when built in countries with sub-standard materials and practices, fail in a way that causes casualties? Sure, it happens, but not exactly something I would worry about.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:14 PM

All right then...

Let me recast my inquiry so as to hopefully obtain a more helpful answer, my heartfelt thanks for the gratuitous sarcasm notwithstanding:

How, from a standpoint of physics for dummies, can this particular engineering feature be presented to someone--like me--as a design element that won't leave me asking any question at all ever again about its long-term structural stability?

I mean, can anyone explain to me how something like, say, the ridiculously pregnant overhang for the cancelled 5WTC tower can be deemed safe? Apropos of this thread, then, can I look at the apartment section of the project and be assured that the same explanations/rationales would apply here as to there?

If the intent to help me answer this in an informative way isn't out there, I'll simply leave it alone and not risk further derailing the thread topic.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I did like building blocks when I was a kid. This reminds me of adult versions of them.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:28 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I'm impressed to see Rotterdam embracing highrises so much. Why so?
It's partly due to a strong Dutch economy, but also history. Rotterdam was one of the hardest hit cities during WW2 so the rebuilding coincided with the rise of the modern skyscraper. It's why Rotterdam looks so new compared to other European cities. The old city was largely destroyed.

I had a 1950s apartment block backing on to my Victorian row house in London. I often wondered why there weren't Victorian row houses there instead. My parents explained that they were destroyed in WW2. When you see a new building in a heavily built up old area of a European city, it's often a clue that a bomb once fell there.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Anyone who used to play Counter-Strike remember the map called DE_ROTTERDAM lol?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:42 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:51 PM

looks similar to the dead Museum Plaza development in Louisville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive