Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:38 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...r-moving-along

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS
September 25, 2019 05:38 PM UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Here’s how O’Hare’s $8.5 billion makeover is moving along
City Aviation Commissioner Jamie Rhee gives an update on the huge terminal expansion project that was started by Emanuel but now is Lightfoot's job to complete.

...And though she didn't say so, she gave every indication that Elon Musk's proposed super-fast train tube between the Loop and O'Hare likely died when its chief proponent, former Mayor Rahm Emanuel, left office.......

Construction also will start soon on a 10-gate expansion of Terminal 5, which now serves only international flights but is being converted to dual use. Preliminary site preparation already is underway.

When completed, Delta Air Lines will shift its entire O'Hare operation to the west end of Terminal 5, with foreign-flag carriers dominating at the other end.......

Gang at the session "talked a lot about bringing the neighborhoods into the (final) design," which could look rather different than the airy, tree-filled space concept that Gang pitched (above) in winning the job, Rhee said. "She's going to be doing a lot of community outreach," with a series of public meetings to be held soon.......

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:48 PM
The City

Nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:57 PM

What does community outreach have to do with airport design? And why would we want it anyway?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What does community outreach have to do with airport design? And why would we want it anyway?
I kind of agree.

This trend to have community meetings about everything seems to have kind of reached new highs. Why not trust the experts?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I kind of agree.

This trend to have community meetings about everything seems to have kind of reached new highs. Why not trust the experts?
Look at the UK when you leave important decisions up to the masses. It leads to disaster.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:36 PM

I think this is less than most people think. Gang and co will listen to what people have to say but ultimately the design decisions are up to them and the client. It's more the illusion of community involvement than anything.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 11:19 PM

Air X Charter Ltd A340 on the ORD ramp Thursday. Not sure what kind of executive charter it was....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:49 AM
BANNED

I don't like the design they chose. The woodsy feeling, the flooring, the central atrium that looks church-like, just no. Whole thing looks like a 90's mall. I hope they change the entire thing because it is just a second-rate design compared to airport terminals going up today globally. Would have gone with Foster or Calatrava myself, they had far more contemporary designs than this thing and are experienced. However, it seems they went with the local firm because of home-town bias probably.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 4, 2019 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I don't like the design they chose. The woodsy feeling, the flooring, the central atrium that looks church-like, just no. Whole thing looks like a 90's mall. I hope they change the entire thing because it is just a second-rate design compared to airport terminals going up today globally. Would have gone with Foster or Calatrava myself, they had far more contemporary designs than this thing and are experienced. However, it seems they went with the local firm because of home-town bias probably.
I don't know. I was just in several Charles De Gaulle terminals this week--several only a few years old--and the most important thing is how they flow and work logisitically. The Calatrava design looked impressive, but I don't know if it would work as well. Can you get from gate to gate easily? Can you move freely while still not feeling like you're sitting in a cavern? Can you see where you need to go without having to look at signs constantly and still not feel like you are sitting in a cavern.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I don't know. I was just in several Charles De Gaulle terminals this week--several only a few years old--and the most important thing is how they flow and work logisitically. The Calatrava design looked impressive, but I don't know if it would work as well. Can you get from gate to gate easily? Can you move freely while still not feeling like you're sitting in a cavern? Can you see where you need to go without having to look at signs constantly and still not feel like you are sitting in a cavern.
I think this thread is overestimating the sort of changes being proposed. It sounds like they're going to the community to ask about what they want for passenger facilities and indoor decor, not a wholesale redesign of the building. Which is perfectly reasonable. They've got 10 years to adapt to changing tastes.

Although architects liked the look of the Foster design, I heard from my brother who works in airport operations and from some other sources that the Gang proposal was far superior from the airport operations point of view.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JGMA_arch...87750993616898
Small, hard-to-find, airside connections between terminals, orphaned gates, and concourse gates too far from amenities, a theater for passengers instead of a flexible ground space for airfield and baggage equipment, and so on.

There were fundamental design flaws in the Foster proposal, whereas the suggested fixes to the Gang proposal were easy. Get rid of the plants and trees (bugs, rats and maintenance nightmares), questionable skylight, improve the concessions and possibly change the aesthetics.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 10:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Well, some of CDG's terminals I've seen are pretty gorgeous it indeed didn't seem to flow well. With some weird small corridors and wayfinding.

From the looks of it, it looks like the Gang proposal would be inherently open and intuitive to navigate. Would I have liked to see Foster's proposal given a shot? Sure, but the fact is no matter what proposal was chosen it will look much more "mall-like" in appearance because that is just the general trend that all major international airports, in order to maximize revenue, are veering towards that I can think of. Including the Foster proposal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The renders look terrible. All woodsy crap. Yuck, looks like somebody is trying to go all environmental and it looks hokey. The new Beijing airport is how you design a modern terminal, oh and that Turkish airport. Clean and modern. No stupid wooden floors or church-like cielings. It looks like something out of the 90s

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:08 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The renders look terrible. All woodsy crap. Yuck, looks like somebody is trying to go all environmental and it looks hokey. The new Beijing airport is how you design a modern terminal, oh and that Turkish airport. Clean and modern. No stupid wooden floors or church-like cielings. It looks like something out of the 90s
I kind of disagree. White on white with floors to ceilings with an institutional feel is what is becoming common and undistinctive among mega-airports.
Something that frankly Fosters plan would have patterned after as well, although brilliantly.

From photos at least photos of Instanbuls airport I don't find overly impressive. Beijing's does look impressive but I bet in both cases far more than passenger taxes are fitting the bill and state subsidies have been infused heavily into both (along with cheaper labor/construction).

At least Gangs proposal with the more lateral wood/glass paneling would promise to be somewhat distinct and offer a different character than what in 30 years will be an era of ho-hum mega-architecture. Maybe it will fall to impress or look 2nd rate in the end but at least it will promise to aim for something a bit unique.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:47 AM

Guys,

She at it again! She got arrested again by last Friday night. Marilyn Hartman as a serial stowaway. She's trying to sneak past at security checkpoint without a ticket or ID. She was not supposed to be there. They told her not to go to airports anymore. She was banned O'Hare, Midway, Greyhound bus and Amtrak, as well.

https://wgntv.com/2019/10/12/serial-...t-ohare-again/

She didn't listens to the judges, lawyers, and psychiatrist, as well. She supposed to stays at mental health facility, but she cannot leaves. She need a treatment. Get some help! She must taken her medication. She can not be off her ankle monitoring. They will put back on her electronic monitoring.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:35 PM

Sorry Holidays travelers, Reopening of O'Hare "people mover" delayed again, to early 2020.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...s-story_______

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:19 PM

Ada Quonsett is at it again huh? To bad Trans Global Airlines went under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Guys,

She at it again! She got arrested again by last Friday night. Marilyn Hartman as a serial stowaway. She's trying to sneak past at security checkpoint without a ticket or ID. She was not supposed to be there. They told her not to go to airports anymore. She was banned O'Hare, Midway, Greyhound bus and Amtrak, as well.

https://wgntv.com/2019/10/12/serial-...t-ohare-again/

She didn't listens to the judges, lawyers, and psychiatrist, as well. She supposed to stays at mental health facility, but she cannot leaves. She need a treatment. Get some help! She must taken her medication. She can not be off her ankle monitoring. They will put back on her electronic monitoring.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:47 PM

Good coverage of the United Media days event in Chicago. Info on the newer equipment finally coming to ORD along with route and company information.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/what...rst-media-day/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Good coverage of the United Media days event in Chicago. Info on the newer equipment finally coming to ORD along with route and company information.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/what...rst-media-day/
One small thing I learned was that they reported UA was bringing the 787 to ORD for routes to Europe and Asia. I've read the Europe news, but Asia was new to me. I'm assuming it will be in place of the 777 and not new routes? I know some new Asia carriers have entered ORD the last few years, but it wasn't too long ago that UA flew 744s from ORD to NRT, HKG, PVG and PEK.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:21 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

looks like o'hare is having a good day

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:22 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

https://abc7chicago.com/plane-slides...storm/5689573/

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A plane slid off a runway as it was landing at O'Hare Airport as snow fell on the Chicago area Monday morning.

A Chicago Aviation spokesperson said the incident occurred at about 7:45 a.m. as American Eagle flight 4125 from Greensboro, North Carolina was landing at O'Hare.

According to an American Airlines spokesperson, "After landing, American Eagle flight 4125, operated by Envoy Air, slid off the runway due to icy conditions at Chicago O'Hare. No injuries were reported. All 38 passengers and three crew members were removed from the aircraft and are now safely back in the terminal."

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_t...pg&name=medium

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation