HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:30 PM
DRINK

I was expecting to need to drink the pain away tonight....Somehow the Esks salvaged a day where they lost a franchise QB.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/standings/2018/

west was 28-12 against the east last year. Its going to be even more lopsided this year.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:10 AM

The way the Western division loaded up today I am really worried about the East and tremendous lack of parity between West and East now. Outside of Hamilton I am not sure Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto will win 10 games between them? Ambrosie should be very concerned as the East is going to look like children playing against men.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 AM

Details of Bo Levi Mitchell’s contract with the Stampeders
Justin Dunk 3downnation February 12, 2019

Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell signed a four-year contract worth almost $3 million to continue playing for the Calgary Stampeders, per sources.

The deal makes Mitchell the second highest paid player in the CFL after Mike Reilly who signed a four-year pact with the B.C. Lions worth $2.9 million. For Mitchell, each season steps up the compensation: $675,000, $695,000, $705,000 and $725,000 over the term of the contract. That’s a significant raise from the $475,000 Mitchell collected in 2018.

But it’s also clear that Mitchell left money on the table from Saskatchewan and Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 AM

There must be some money being made in the CFL somewhere if they can offer these types of salaries now. 500k (or thereabouts) would have been the wage for the top QB in the league, these numbers are far above that.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:49 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
There must be some money being made in the CFL somewhere if they can offer these types of salaries now. 500k would have been the wage for the top QB in the league, these numbers are far above that.
Is this a hint that the salary cap is expected to jump under the new CBA?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:33 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
There must be some money being made in the CFL somewhere if they can offer these types of salaries now. 500k (or thereabouts) would have been the wage for the top QB in the league, these numbers are far above that.
Presumably some money is being saved by some teams thanks to the coaching salary cap.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Presumably some money is being saved by some teams thanks to the coaching salary cap.
True, and in my opinion a good move by the league.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:30 PM
arf

If I keep the expectations low enough everything will seem great right?

Willie Jefferson to Winnipeg and Saskatchewan resigns Collaros. This is going to be one boring team to watch this year.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:36 PM

Love the moves the Esks made yesterday! Lots of worry going into this upcoming season for some fans but I think those were muted a little yesterday with the roster moves made.

Now, the games are played on the field and not on paper but I am loving what's been done so far.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:39 PM
DRINK

Its amazing that you could lose who is arguably the best QB in the league and still come out a better team on the same day.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:37 PM

David Pratt (local morning sports talk) figures Lions attendance could be in the 30 to 35 000 range next year. It will be an interesting test for Vancouver to see how far down the Lions have fallen in this market. If crowds are around 25 000, that will be a win for the organization and the CFL. The big 3 have to be successful in order for the league to thrive (not just survive).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:49 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
David Pratt (local morning sports talk) figures Lions attendance could be in the 30 to 35 000 range next year. It will be an interesting test for Vancouver to see how far down the Lions have fallen in this market. If crowds are around 25 000, that will be a win for the organization and the CFL. The big 3 have to be successful in order for the league to thrive (not just survive).
I want some of what David is smoking. Lions attendance hasn't been near 35 in a decade and it has been seven since they were at 30. I'd agree that 25 would be a huge step in the right direction. What is his rationalization for the optimism?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I want some of what David is smoking. Lions attendance hasn't been near 35 in a decade and it has been seven since they were at 30. I'd agree that 25 would be a huge step in the right direction. What is his rationalization for the optimism?
Pratt’s a big CFL booster, which is fine, but he is so old school. He tries way to hard to pump up the Lions. So much so it’s hard to take him seriously. He figures 1 good an signing should do it. But yes he’s dreaming.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:09 PM

You can listen to podcast of tsn1040. Pratt has lots to say about the signing and attendance. It’s the 7 to 8 slot. I just heard a few minutes of the conversation

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:17 PM
arf

^Thanks.

The most interesting revelation for the Roughriders this offseason was the retirement of Rod Pedersen who had done the play-by-play on the radio for twenty years. Curious to know how the games are going to sound now when I turn them on.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:35 PM

Argos offered BLM $800K / Season apparently. What's the biggest season salary in the CFL ever? Flutie was rumoured to get $1M in Toronto way back in the day, but there is no evidence of that as far as I can see.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:44 PM
arf

Probably Ragib Ismail. Although his wasn't "football" salary. It was rumoured he was paid something like 3.5 million a year, but only $150,000 a year to play football.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Love the moves the Esks made yesterday! Lots of worry going into this upcoming season for some fans but I think those were muted a little yesterday with the roster moves made.

Now, the games are played on the field and not on paper but I am loving what's been done so far.
Well a team that finished in last place needs to make some moves. I like Harris and Ellingson but they don't equal Riley and Walker on my paper and you still have Maas!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Probably Ragib Ismail. Although his wasn't "football" salary. It was rumoured he was paid something like 3.5 million a year, but only $150,000 a year to play football.
It was a 4 year, $18.2 million US deal. First year paid over $6 million. Again, that was 1991 (!). I'm pretty sure Ismail was the highest paid player in pro football when he signed that contract.

There were a few CFL millionaire contracts back in the free spending 90s, the downside was that they almost killed the league.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 8:23 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Big blow to the Stamps losing Micha Johnson - that guy is a beast.
The fact he is going to the Riders makes it even harder to swallow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada