HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'd argue that 30 Rock is the best Manhattan observation deck.
Each of the observation decks will offer their own unique experiences, some with more modern flash and drama. But for just all around views, 30 Rock will be better. The one thing it has on all the others is location. It will be literally in the middle of the giants, with amazing views on all sides. You're high enough to get a great view, but low enough to feel as if you can reach out and touch the skyscrapers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BttMAJwhGPx/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BttXqXEB9PO/

Matt Csenge

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 11, 2019 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:04 PM

I went running through Gantry Plaza State Park yesterday in Hunter's Point and One Vandy has a really commanding presence already next to the ESB. It's hulking in fact.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I went running through Gantry Plaza State Park yesterday in Hunter's Point and One Vandy has a really commanding presence already next to the ESB. It's hulking in fact.
That's one aspect of it that we'll have to see how it turns out. I think it will be fine, but the height cut revealed a bulkier version of the tower. 30 Hudson went through a similar evolution, and the final tower is more builky than at first perceived. I don't think it's a problem for either tower though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtvYCECguMA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuuYehjuXC/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btvx2ULHrV0/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:02 PM
New Yorker for life

This is not current (it's from September), but gives a general idea of what and who's located where in the building...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:09 PM
BANNED

^Awesome graphic, NyGuy. I love how McDermott, Will & Emery gave themselves an additional floor just under the Obvs deck. If I were an exec there, I'd do the same. I'd also build it out to look like an obvs deck

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is not current (it's from September), but gives a general idea of what and who's located where in the building...
Looks like the observation deck is barely higher than the Empire State Building's lower deck, and significantly lower than the ESB's upper deck. I wish it were higher because at the rate that supertalls are rising in Midtown, within a decade or so they will be obstructing the views from this deck pretty badly! But I do understand that this is already the highest non-mechanical floor.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Looks like the observation deck is barely higher than the Empire State Building's lower deck, and significantly lower than the ESB's upper deck. I wish it were higher because at the rate that supertalls are rising in Midtown, within a decade or so they will be obstructing the views from this deck pretty badly! But I do understand that this is already the highest non-mechanical floor.
I think the deck here is about 1,020 ft. That height is fine, just look at the deck at 30 Rock.

Snow day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtyQKo5DvPz/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Awesome graphic, NyGuy. I love how McDermott, Will & Emery gave themselves an additional floor just under the Obvs deck. If I were an exec there, I'd do the same. I'd also build it out to look like an obvs deck
Lol, it may very well be something to that effect. I'm sure they're paying a pretty price for it too.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:13 AM

this building is over 1400 ft, but only 58 floors, thats not a lot of office floorspace, is it?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitmetro101 View Post
this building is over 1400 ft, but only 58 floors, thats not a lot of office floorspace, is it?
It's 1.6 msf or 1.8 gsf.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think the deck here is about 1,020 ft. That height is fine, just look at the deck at 30 Rock.
Wow that's even lower than the ESB's 86th floor deck. Yes it is fine, now, but if it were higher it would be more future-proof. In just a decade or so there could be a dozen more supertalls in this neighborhood, some of them significantly taller than 1,020 ft. I wish this building had an additional, smaller observation deck on the highest floor right underneath the spire, like the ESB does. The deck at 30 Rock could become irrelevant fairly soon.

Last edited by pianowizard; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Wow that's even lower than the ESB's 86th floor deck. Yes it is fine, now, but if it were higher it would be more future-proof. In just a decade or so there could be a dozen more supertalls in this neighborhood, some of them significantly taller than 1,020 ft. I wish this building had an additional, smaller observation deck on the highest floor right underneath the spire, like the ESB does. The deck at 30 Rock could become irrelevant fairly soon.
The deck at 30 Rock won't become irrelevant because these observation decks are all about the view, and 30 Rock will always have the best central location for views. Height of course gives you views, but not necessarily the best views. You could put a deck at 3,000 ft in Manhattan, and that wouldn't be the best view.

The higher restaurant at One Vanderbilt will be about 900 ft, still high enough for great views, and higher still than the one at 30 Rock. Also, the deck here won't be open late like the other decks, it will double as event space.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:39 PM

30 Rock is where you go to get views of all the other observation decks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 8:12 PM

it's also the only roof deck which gives it an unmatched "open air" feeling

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive