HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

One more 1970 slide for today.

Rail Yards north of downtown.

EBAY

I don't remember seeing that church before. Also note: the Capitol Mill Co. at far right. > >
Believe it or not, I think this second picture was also taken from 313 N Figueroa Street.

Google Maps

The church is St. Anthony's Croatian Catholic Church at 712 N Grand Avenue.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 11:36 PM

Here's the same church in the January 1911 The American Globe:

Hathitrust

Quote:

Also...at the lower edge of the photo there is an interesting rooftop sign. [close-up below]

note the man walking down the street.

........................................................................................................................................................

The lettering style looks vaguely 'oriental'. At first I thought it was 'China City'...but I don't believe China City is in this immediate area.

Can anyone make out what it says?

__

I believe that's the sign for the Dorothy Mae Apartments (Google Map puts 821 Sunset at the corner of North Figueroa):

March 27, 1927, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

The Dorothy Mae burned down in an arson fire on September 4, 1982, and 24 people died.

In the upper right corner of the close-up . . . is that an older, now-demolished version of the Castelar Street School?

Thanks for that interesting photo, e_r!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add stuff

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:

Also...at the lower edge of the photo there is an interesting rooftop sign. [close-up below]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

In the upper right corner of the close-up . . . is that an older, now-demolished version of the Castelar Street School?

Thanks for that interesting photo, e_r!
You beat me to the Dorothy Mae, FW, but this one had me stumped. The building looks a lot closer to the church in e_r's photo, and it's not as large as I expected in aerial views (maybe the high roof makes it look bigger from ground level) . However, given the image below, I think you're right.

"Old Castelar School building, 850 Yale Street, 1973 (now demolished)."

LAPL

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:33 PM

I've been looking for the location of this Spruce Goose photo for days. After checking the maps/aerial images once again, I realized that the parked cars in the foreground were on the wrong side of the street, so the photo must be mirrored. It's correct below.

mashable.com/Bettmann/Corbis

Now searching on the opposite side of the street, I found the location several blocks north of the Coca-Cola plant identified by August-Marathon recently. We're facing east at the intersection of Santa Fe Avenue and N La Vere Drive.

Google Maps

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:20 PM

Here's another picture of parts of the Spruce Goose in transit. One source names the location as Hermosa Beach, but it's actually a little south of there in Redondo Beach.

mashable.com/Underwood Archives/Getty Images

This 1947 aerial shows the intersection of the PCH and Diamond Street, with Redondo Union High School just to the right of center. I think that Kendall Chevrolet is visible in the top left corner of the photo above.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Most of the buildings are long gone, so here's an earlier view. The building on the right is the one on the right of the Spruce Goose photo.

"Photograph of an exterior view of the Redondo Union High School, Redondo Beach, ca.1925."

grabilla.com

This would seem to be a fair way west of the route that I thought the Spruce Goose took.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:18 PM

This is some amazing sleuth work, HossC, and my hat is off to you! I was puzzled about the locations of both photos. The wings must have traveled a different course than the body, down Sepulveda/Pacific Coast Highway from Lincoln all the way south and east to Wilmington. A very logical route, now that I think about it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:41 PM

Was browsing through home for sale in the Inglewood area and while being nosy on Google maps came across an over grown area and after some snooping found an over grown estate that unfortunately has recently been demolished.

355 La Colina Dr
Inglewood, CA 90302

https://www.openlistings.com/p/355-l...ewood-ca-90302

"Excellent rehab opportunity or development site. This may be the largest house in Inglewood at almost 5,000 sq. Ft. Built in 1922 by Frank Parent, this house has high ceilings, a majestic foot print, in need of a total rehab or a fresh start. Includes lot next door and behind the main property. The lot goes from E. Beach through to La Colina Drive. Motivated Seller.
Features
- Built 1922- Building style: art deco- Fireplace"

More on Frank D. Parent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_D._Parent

Shame it was destroyed and wondering if anyone on here could dig up some more information on the property and pictures.

-Victor in LA

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:52 PM

I haven't found anything about the past of 355 La Colina Drive (I didn't really look), but its future seems to be as a green open space near to the new Inglewood Metro Station. The house was demolished between October 2014 and April 2015, which was shortly after the businesses along the north side of Florence Avenue (just across La Colina Drive) were razed. There's more about the new station on la.curbed.com.

inglewood.arroyogroup.com (PDF file)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
This is some amazing sleuth work, HossC, and my hat is off to you! I was puzzled about the locations of both photos. The wings must have traveled a different course than the body, down Sepulveda/Pacific Coast Highway from Lincoln all the way south and east to Wilmington. A very logical route, now that I think about it.

Yes, amazing indeed! (Thanks for IDing the school, too, Hoss.)

The Spruce Goose's wings were moved first, then the hull.

Wednesday, June 12, 1946, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

Thursday, June 13, 1946, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

Neither of these articles mentions the specifics of either route or the reason for the different routes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

Where do you think the photographer was standing when he took this pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm putting my money on the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services building at 313 N Figueroa Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Believe it or not, I think this second picture was also taken from 313 N Figueroa Street.
I believe you are correct Hoss.

LAPL CENTER: HEALTH SERVICES BLDG. beneath arrow.

Here are two more 1970 slides on ebay. (no doubt from the same photographer)

ebay

I believe this is proof positive that Hoss is correct.

ebay

foreground: Ahmanson Theater left.....Mark Taper Forum right.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:24 AM

Quote:
I believe you are correct Hoss.

LAPL CENTER: HEALTH SERVICES BLDG. beneath arrow.

Here are two more 1970 slides on ebay. (no doubt from the same photographer)

ebay

I believe this is proof positive that Hoss is correct.

ebay

foreground: Ahmanson Theater left.....Mark Taper Forum right.

_
Cool views of the Music Center! I can just about smell the smog.......my lungs are cringing at the memories.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:29 AM

Dorothy Mae Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge

I believe that's the sign for the Dorothy Mae Apartments (Google Map puts 821 Sunset at the corner of North Figueroa):

March 27, 1927, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

The Dorothy Mae burned down in an arson fire on September 4, 1982, and 24 people died.
The Dorothy Mae Fire happened about four months after I moved to L.A. I'm surprised I don't recall that day.

from a 1988 article: LATIMES

"Near Sunset Boulevard and Figueroa Street, just north of downtown Los Angeles, there is a flurry of construction work taking place these days.
More than 400 apartments are being built to meet the growing demand for housing in the area.

But in the midst of the hammering and sawing, a piece of vacant land at 821 W. Sunset Blvd. remains untouched--dwarfed by the activity around it.
Upon it once sat a 43-unit apartment building, which became the scene of one of the deadliest residential fires in city history.

The Dorothy Mae Apartment Hotel was swept by flames early in the morning of Sept. 4, 1982. Nineteen people, including an unborn baby and its mother,
perished as the fire roared through the 50-year-old, three-story structure. Thirty-six other people were injured, and, within 10 days, six of them had died.

Only the 1973 Stratford Apartments fire, in which 25 people were killed and 52 were injured, was as deadly, Los Angeles fire officials said.

The building was informally known as "Little Salitre" because virtually all its nearly 200 residents came from the rural town of El Salitre in the Mexican state of Zacatecas.
Many fire victims were related to one another.

Authorities said the inferno was a case of arson--the result of an argument between the manager and a nephew, who lived in the building, over the latter's membership
in a street gang, his smoking of marijuana and spray painting of graffiti.

Upset, the nephew, Humberto de la Torre, then 19, brought a dollar's worth of gasoline, threw it on the floor of an apartment and then ignited it with a match,
investigators said. The flames spread quickly, engulfing the building. The uncle, Mateode la Torre, was unhurt in the blaze.

Humberto de la Torre was arrested the following December in Texas, pleaded guilty to 25 counts of murder and in 1985 was sentenced to 625 years in prison.
He is now serving his sentence at Folsom Prison.

The fire rendered even the land itself practically useless for a while, its owners, a group of businessmen holding it for investment, said.

"It was as if the devil himself lived there," said attorney Hiran Kwan, a member of HLL Management Co. that owned the Dorothy Mae, expecting the land's proximity
to the city's growing Chinatown would make it an increasingly valuable site.

Kwan said his group found little interest in its plans to build a new apartment house or hotel on the lot. He blamed adverse publicity stemming from the fire and false rumors
that owners were going to be prosecuted because fire officials had found unsafe conditions that might have contributed to the toll. (Fire Department records showed the building had generally been kept up to city fire code standards and had been cited in the past for only minor violations.)

Kwan's group, which is a major player in the current round of construction near Sunset and Figueroa, sold the Dorothy Mae land in 1984 for $500,000 to another group of businessmen,
headed by Chinatown banker Kenneth Wong.

Wong said his group, U.P. Investment Inc., wants to use the Dorothy Mae site as part of a major hotel and a shopping center development along Sunset.
The group is trying to put together financing for the $19-million project, said Wong, board chairman of United Pacific Bank."

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-..._1_dorothy-mae

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:25 PM

Re: Los Angeles Music Center (above)

If you didn't know, the Music Center plaza is under reconstruction for the first time since it opened. The 40 million dollar project has been underway for just over a year and is scheduled to open in August.

Rendering: CLICK ON THE PHOTO BELOW TO SEE A VERSION OF THE RENDERING AT NIGHT.

L.A. Times

Rendering of the new planned entrance for the Music Center plaza. Gentler steps and new escalators lead to an open space (which can be used for an outdoor performing area) with a new restaurant, bar and coffee house, plus permanent restrooms.

The Music Center's website (HERE) about the renovation says it will be "a warm, welcoming public space that offers an open invitation to all and a front door, now even wider, to The Music Center."

I don't know...the space in the rendering doesn't look warm to me, it looks hot...and a bit harsh.

I couldn't find the NLA post where I saw the photo below at first, but I found it on LAPL again. Does the new rendering of the plaza area really look much different than in this photo from 1965, a year after it opened? 7,000 people lined up to buy tickets for Hello, Dolly, which happens to be playing at the Pantages Theatre right now.

LAPL

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:23 AM

per: our very recent discussion about the Health Services Building. (which Hoss pinpointed as the epicenter of the 1970 slides)

Does anyone remember the fire in 1992? (I didn't)

looking NORTH

LAFD

note: The fire appears to have been located in the northeast corner of the building. If that's the case, why is there a small burnt area on the south facing wall?
hmmm....I wonder what that's all about

_

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:27 AM

And here's yet another slide taken from the roof of the Health Services Bldg. in 1970.

looking NORTH

EBAY

That lighter area, in the distance, looks like a freshly harvested field of hay. (from my midwest perspective

I spy a Union 76 gas station.

__

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Cool views of the Music Center! I can just about smell the smog.......my lungs are cringing at the memories.
Here's some more of that 1970s smog ScottyB.

ebay / SLIDE 1970

EBAY

cough. cough...cough...cough.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2019 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:23 AM

Aerial view of Watts, looking northeast, showing a smog bank covering the city. 13 September 1956.

[source: LAPL]

I wonder what years the smog was at its worst? The situation has definitely improved.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:

I couldn't help but notice this old building that is..somewhat..hanging off the hillside. (if you look closely there's an old house directly behind it)

Although the appearance is slightly different to the images I found, I believe the building in this photo is 1201 Huntley Drive, and appears to have been offices. In 1973 it housed Robert Clements & Associates and Nikolakopulos & Associates. The 1987 CD lists the Gentry Group Partnership Inc there. I found an article in the LA Times which says the unoccupied building suffered a "very heavy fire" in 2015.

LAT

Demo permits indicate that the building was razed soon afterwards. Here's what it looked like from Huntley Drive...

GSV

... and here's all that's left:

GSV

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:

and this one, that I circled, looks like a mini castle. (it does to me anyway)...but I'm crazy.

I knew we'd visited this area before. I remember posting pictures of Falck Radio at 1260 W Second Street (see here and here), and Godzilla followed up with pictures of Emerald Street behind (see here). From Godzilla's photoset, here's a close-up of the house highlighted by e_r.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:09 AM

Oh, so what I 'saw' as a squarish turret on the roof was actually the cottages behind it....peeking above the roofline.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 3, 2019 at 2:24 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos