HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 5:09 AM

id probably travel to 1980s south beach right at the height of the cocaine wars...but you know, just chilling in a rocking chair at some old rundown hotel along collins ave. hit the crabshack at 6 for some bluecrabs, maybe catch a movie. try not to get shot as i go back out to my cadillac with jersey plates...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:38 PM

Over the weekend, I bought a book called "Cities: The First 6,000 Years."

Apparently, cities have only (hehe) been around for 6,000 years. The author of the book is an archaeologist who teaches at UCLA.

The premise of the book basically is, "Why cities?" Are they a natural step in human settlement's evolution, or are they the result or a response to something else?

So, if I could time travel and be invisible, I would love to see ancient cities, like Tenochtitlan, or the beginnings of current huge modern cities, like Tokyo or Rome. I would also love to see what the Los Angeles region was like prior to the Spanish establishing the little Pueblo of Los Angeles, when what is now LA County was populated by several small Tongva/Kizh villages.

I would love to look at several eras of one place, and see how the city/cities evolved, from its formation, to where it is today, or possibly even its abandonment. That would all be so fascinating to me, to see how humans as a species, used to live prior to 6,000 years ago, before cities existed.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:17 PM

Jericho?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:51 PM

Chicago..1950's Chicago electric blues scene, just to soak it all up..Howling Wolfe, Muddy Waters, BB King..All the greats. If my time capsule would allow me to, I would bring back a Marshall amp for these guys to play on.That + the whole 1950's were booming .It would be great to spend time in not only Chicago, but other booming North American cities..Montreal, just to watch the Habs play in that era.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Probably the 60s. Biggest city in Canada, expo 67, tallest building in the british empire built in 62, awarded the 76 olympics etc.
I viewed this time period in Montreal from next door. It was a revolutionary period as Quebec modernized with a lot of excitement and optimism for the most part but there was this underlying social discontent. Expo 67 was a unique event world wide, that can never be repeated. I still have some memorabilia from Expo and 1967. Unfortunately, the 1970 kidnapping crisis was the beginning of the end of that period of optimism and the Olympics were surrounded with corruption and massive cost overruns. The inevitable social discontent bubbled to the surface starting in 1970 that led to the PQ election in 1976. Perhaps, it was all necessary but it led to Montreal's 25 year period of decline that thankfully has now ended.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions