HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:19 PM

Fall is in the air now. The valley looks great. driving out east on Weds the colours were great. And the Snow geese are back heading south.

The trail behind my house. St Albert.

[IMG]2020-09-25_09-08-52 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2020-09-25_09-09-08 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Fall is in the air now. The valley looks great. driving out east on Weds the colours were great. And the Snow geese are back heading south.

The trail behind my house. St Albert.

[IMG]2020-09-25_09-08-52 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2020-09-25_09-09-08 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
I still have tomatoes and cucumbers outside. I can't remember a year when they've been safely outside this late.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:04 PM
A Better Place

At this rate, we won't have our first frost until at least the first week of October, which would be almost a full two weeks later than last year. It's a miracle!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:34 PM

Yup definitely a pleasant Fall this year - don't even remember the last time it was this temperate.

Typical Septembers always seem to have a handful of nights where we drop into freezing temps.

Other than one close call, it's been well above thus far so it's making for a spectacular fall season and the trees are taking their time changing over for winter.

Here's a shot from yesterday...inspired by the shot from Airboy (yea I cranked the saturation up a few points)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:56 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:08 PM

@jefrosonic

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:28 PM

^

it never ceases to amaze me how much river valley land that set of interchanges consumes...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:34 PM
Community Guy

Sure, but it never ceases to amaze me how much we leave on the table with parts of our river valley that are available right now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:35 PM

^^
That would be partially due to the low level bridge being in such an awkward position.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:42 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Sure, but it never ceases to amaze me how much we leave on the table with parts of our river valley that are available right now.
So many in the city have a staunch anti-development stance for any land in or near the River Valley, so we shouldn't expect much to happen until those peoples' opinions change.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
So many in the city have a staunch anti-development stance for any land in or near the River Valley, so we shouldn't expect much to happen until those peoples' opinions change.
For me its not some much not doing development but what type. I love adding coffee and patios along the river. Full housing developments that are not historic locations a definite no. The prairie Sky project is a yes and should swing through the full valley.

I would love to skate on Whitemud creek again but without damaging the ecosystem I don't see this ever happening.

This past year I have noticed a great increase in the user numbers of the valley. Just need some amenities.

I recently finished a 100km bike ride through the valley on my road bike. There are lots of areas to develop, And then riding on my mountain bike and working with EMBA, you see how much wild we do have as well.

When I was rowing every summer I was pretty militant about no development. but now when I ride or take the new dog for a walk I see the benefits of some development.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I would love to skate on Whitemud creek again but without damaging the ecosystem I don't see this ever happening.
Ummmm, what? Damaging ice?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Ummmm, what? Damaging ice?
They used to put a damn at the fox drive area. flood the valley a bit. also use potable water to flood sections.

Then in the spring the dam was removed. Still one of the best skate ways before Hareluk park.

One reason the Sturgeon isn't used anymore is they need to use river or lake water to flood it not potable.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
They used to put a damn at the fox drive area. flood the valley a bit. also use potable water to flood sections.

Then in the spring the dam was removed. Still one of the best skate ways before Hareluk park.

One reason the Sturgeon isn't used anymore is they need to use river or lake water to flood it not potable.
Huh. I was not aware. One of the most pleasant late night skating experiences I had as a youngster was skating the creek. The darkness of the surroundings was a very quiet experience.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Huh. I was not aware. One of the most pleasant late night skating experiences I had as a youngster was skating the creek. The darkness of the surroundings was a very quiet experience.
Yup not many people around now that had that experience. Or learning to downhill ski at white mud hill.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Yup not many people around now that had that experience. Or learning to downhill ski at white mud hill.
Or tubing down Whitemud hill. Now that was some serious rocket fuel.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:42 AM
Community Guy

Before the bisection jump?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Before the bisection jump?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Or tubing down Whitemud hill. Now that was some serious rocket fuel.
We were government house hill. (Devils Hill). Tubing down and hitting the trees before they put the protective burier up. But then I also did 7 hills in St Albert when there was 7 hills.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton