Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:45 PM

What Your Home Address Says About What You’ll Buy

What Your Home Address Says About What You’ll Buy

Oct 9, 2014

By RANI MOLLA

Read More: http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/what-wh...youll-buy-1813

Quote:
Where you live can give a good indication of who you are and what you buy, according to mapping software company Esri. In its Tapestry Segmentation project, Esri overlays geography with other information, such as demographic data from the Census and marketing data from GfK Mediamark Research & Intelligence.

The result is a detailed picture of the socioeconomics and demographics as well as attitudes and brand preferences of people in a given zip code. From this information, Esri compiled 67 profiles of American market segments, which include far-ranging attributes, so that companies or governmental organizations can potentially figure out if your neighborhood is more into lattes or latkes.

Plug in your zip code below to see what marketers know about the biggest marketing segments in your neighborhood. (Subscribers can access all of this data down to the block group level.) Click on the symbol at the top left near “ZIP lookup” to view the other market segments and as well as data on income, age and population density for the area.

Enter Zip Code: http://www.esri.com/data/esri_data/ziptapestry

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Area code: 08876
State: NJ

I got:

1) 25 % city lights
2) 20% pleasantville
3) 13 % savvy suburbanites

Median household income: 104k
Average age: 41.1
Population Density: 1089

--------

Apparently what I got out of it is that we are yuppies who save a lot, value homeownership, not afraid to take a second loan (as it saids in the description) and go for the latest trends and drive imported SUV's (Funny because they do in my neighborhood ). Hmm, kinda accurate

Although the racially diverse neighborhood thing is wrong. Its like all white over here. My high school and middle school where white like wonder bread. Likewise, at townhalls and any sports or neighborhood events.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:52 PM

I got "100% Laptops and Lattes." I'm officially a yuppie!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:29 PM

Generalization much? This reminds me of those online tests that get shared on facebook.

But I'll play. For my ZIP code (91030), I got:

30% City Lights
27% Urban Chic
15% Trendsetters

What I find funny is entering the ZIP codes of what's considered "bad" neighborhoods of LA County. Here's the result of one (90221):

74% Las Casas
16% Urban Villages
5% Barrios Urbanos

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:34 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

What I find funny is entering the ZIP codes of what's considered "bad" neighborhoods of LA County. Here's the result of one (90221):

74% Las Casas
16% Urban Villages
5% Barrios Urbanos
So what does that indicate?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i'm emerald city...

"We're young, mobile, well educated, and well employed. We're more likely to rent in low density, urban neighborhoods throughout the country. Long hours spent working and online are balanced with regular visits to the gym. We go online for professional networking, online dating, and blogging. Cell phones are essential so we can text and always stay connected. Cognizant of the environment, we buy natural, organic, or environmentally-friendly products; Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are favorite grocery stores. We're politically liberal and donate to NPR and PBS. To keep life fresh, we're eager to learn new things and to save time, we contract for house cleaning services. Music and the fine arts are major interests; we listen to music, visit art galleries, and make art at home." - See more at: http://www.esri.com/data/esri_data/z....JsI6rojK.dpuf

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:38 PM

18% top tier, 30% laptops and lattes and 52% metro renters.....i think im somewhere between metro renter and laptop and latte...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:09 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I'm 15212, Northside - Pittsburgh

15% Set To Impress (Single and poor basically)

13% Small Town Simplicity (Down to earth, low debt, discount stores)

11% Traditional Living (Shops at Walmart, Kmart and fast food)

So yeah, we are poor. Please build us more fast food "restaurants" and dollar stores.

35k household income.
Median age 40.3
Population density 4,801 sq mile

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:49 AM
TL;DR

60608 (Chicago)

36% NeWest Residents
22% International Marketplace
9% Las Casas

Funny because all three category descriptions refer to coastal locations (California, New York, New Jersey) yet this is the heart of Chicago. ESRI's coastal bias has blinded them to the large and growing Hispanic/Asian populations in the Midwest and South. Also, many Chicago zipcodes are weirdly drawn on a grid system with no relation to natural boundaries like rivers, highways, or rail lines... 60608 includes all of Pilsen but also large parts of Little Village, Tri-Taylor, and Bridgeport.

(For the record, I am white and so are half of the tenants in my building - probably I would be considered a Trendsetter.)

This type of profiling is really important to retailers and restaurant chains when they make location decisions. If a new chain is coming to your city and they pop up in an unexpected location, these demographics are probably the reason. Tapestry keeps changing categories though, so it's not very useful for looking at how neighborhoods change over time.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:00 AM
E pluribus unum

86001 (Flagstaff. I live in 86005, but even after a year and a half, most organizations besides USPS, FedEx and UPS don't recognize it)

27% College Town (home to Northern Arizona University, where the only thing higher than the elevation are the students)

26% Emerald City (tiny blue dot in a large sea of red)

9% In Style (DINKs. So many DINKs)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:07 AM

for rapidly changing areas, it would be interesting if there was a historical feature and see who used to live there. thats probably impossible to collect at this point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Maybe census data. Also, the courts probably have records for a particular town or city. Land Mans usually have to gather such data in order to make acquisitions of property for certain industrial uses. Usually, they resort to the local courts to gather data on residents and certain populations in certain areas.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:28 AM

94116 (Outer Sunset/Parkside, Golden Gate Heights, and Forest hill in San Francisco)

67% Pacific Heights
17% Downtown melting Pot
7% Urban Chic

At first it seemed to me that the description skewed too much towards the high-end, but that's because my zip code contains two wealthy areas (Forest Hill and Golden Gate Heights) within it, which I had never noticed before. It's basically one of the cheaper parts of SF on my end of the zip code, and one of the most expensive parts on the other end. I'm also willing to bet the more expensive part does a lot more shopping online and with cards, rather than cash, which would make the tracked shopping habits of the residents in the zip code skew more towards the high end.

The entire zip code is about 50% Asian, and 50% foreign born, mostly Chinese. The rest is mostly white, though census stats show the white population has been dropping in many areas while the latino and black population is growing in many parts (something I've noticed personally over the years, though the black and Latino population is still small and dispersed out here). It makes sense seeing as the old black and latino neighborhoods are mostly gentrifying and insanely expensive, while the sunset remains somewhat of a less desirable and unknown area in comparison. Probably won't be that way for long though.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:20 PM
You had me at herro...

70% Metro Renters
28% Laptops and Lattes
1% Enterprising Professionals

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:25 PM
You had me at herro...

My hometown of Coralville, Iowa

38% Young and Restless
19% Enterprising Professionals
17% In Style

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 6:11 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i'm emerald city...

"We're young, mobile, well educated, and well employed. We're more likely to rent in low density, urban neighborhoods throughout the country. Long hours spent working and online are balanced with regular visits to the gym. We go online for professional networking, online dating, and blogging. Cell phones are essential so we can text and always stay connected. Cognizant of the environment, we buy natural, organic, or environmentally-friendly products; Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are favorite grocery stores. We're politically liberal and donate to NPR and PBS. To keep life fresh, we're eager to learn new things and to save time, we contract for house cleaning services. Music and the fine arts are major interests; we listen to music, visit art galleries, and make art at home." - See more at: http://www.esri.com/data/esri_data/z....JsI6rojK.dpuf
ugh.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 7:33 PM
Never Dell

Mine is BS. It's 98121, Seattle's Belltown and Denny Triangle districts on the edge of Downtown. They say 93% metro renters (young singles) and 7% social security set. But the neighborhood has a large volume of moderately-expensive condos and nonprofit low-income housing also.

Stuff like this is used heavily by commercial real estate people, whether deciding on unit types and finishes for an apartment building project or choosing where to locate stores. It's always a blunt intrument. One pet peeve, which is damaging for cities, is that demographic lines of demarkation can mean you get stores or you don't. Like average household income over $80k vs. below $80k (or wherever one store or advisor defines their line)....stores will flood one side but ignore the other, even if the lower-income side might do better since there's less competition.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 7:34 PM

It got 90210 pretty accurate.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 11:51 AM
Pay it Forward

94618 Oakland, CA

41% Urban Chic
29% Top Tier
17% Laptops and Lattes

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:06 PM

51% tendsetters
18% metro renters
10% social security set

not bad, chicago 60640

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions