HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:18 AM

Housing in Houston continues to go "vertical"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the cityscape will look when these and the many other highrise projects are completed.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

What is the average rent in Houston anyways? Not for a specific project, but in general (citywide)?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
What is the average rent in Houston anyways? Not for a specific project, but in general (citywide)?
While I don't have official numbers I can give you what I am seeing.

First off, in Houston living "inside the loop" means you live in one of the urban pocket areas inside the 610 loop or "just" outside of it in Uptown. Rent for a one bedroom, in a decent apartment complex inside the loop, starts around $1,500. You will pay more if you want to live in the heart of an urban area (midtown, uptown, downtown, neartown, upper kirby, etc.)and as the article describes, the upper range can escalate to what ever the richest want to pay.

Of course there are one bedrooms, inside the loop, for less than $1500 but I've seen that at that price point you will be significantly be trading in security, location, and amenities.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:22 AM

I'm paying $1,300 and I couldnt be in a better location at Studemont and Washington. Typically the rent in Houston is "High" for Houston, but "Cheap" compared to the nation. We natives are sayin "WTF" while newcomers are praisin Jesus

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellott View Post
I'm paying $1,300 and I couldnt be in a better location at Studemont and Washington. Typically the rent in Houston is "High" for Houston, but "Cheap" compared to the nation. We natives are sayin "WTF" while newcomers are praisin Jesus
So true. In NJ, try to get something like that in Jersey City (In a decent neighborhood such as the waterfront) or Hoboken will get you crap. My friend pays $1,700 a month for a 450 sq foot shoe box in Hoboken. IDK, I just find that way too small IMO and I guess as someone who lives in a house, its kinda a shocker. Its cheaper to rent a whole house (2000 sq ft or greater than a 2 bedroom in Hoboken. But $1,300 in that neighborhood sounds delightful. Lucky

I'm looking at Dallas currently, as I might consider moving there in the future, and am really surprised on the cost of living versus NJ. So much extra savings could be made. The housing prices are just beautiful. So much house for a fraction of what it would cost in Somerset, Morris, or Hunterdon County in NJ.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm looking at Dallas currently, as I might consider moving there in the future, and am really surprised on the cost of living versus NJ. So much extra savings could be made. The housing prices are just beautiful. So much house for a fraction of what it would cost in Somerset, Morris, or Hunterdon County in NJ.
And if you buy, just imagine how much annual savings you'll have from property taxes.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:58 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
NY and LA rents might be out of this world, but it will be interesting to see if desirable urban neighborhood rents in Houston start to become similar to those in more interesting cities like Denver or Portland. People would still move to Houston for jobs obviously, but it would be harder to call being cheap its primary advantage.

Anyways, is there any possibility that housing in Texas would veer towards the national average?

Quote:
And if you buy, just imagine how much annual savings you'll have from property taxes.
I wonder what drives expensive property taxes in east coast suburbs? This is not the first time I've heard of this. Quick research shows they don't provide a proportional amount of services for that money or do any progressive or proactive urban planning.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:13 PM

not sure where the myth that property taxes are low in TX came from...they're not

and ACing that mcmansion is expensive

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
not sure where the myth that property taxes are low in TX came from...they're not

and ACing that mcmansion is expensive
They are low in that, housing costs are much lower in Texas than the NE. The tax rate may be similar, but one will save significantly on their property tax assessment.

Heating is not cheap either. We've already had numerous discussions and threads about this.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 PM
life is good

Huh?

Property taxes are typically very high in no income tax states, like 2.5% a year. Certainly NJ is nothing like that? I'm no NJ fan but let's not forget it's the 3rd highest average income state...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Depends on property tax rates. Property taxes in TX are notoriously high. Then again, we don't have a state income tax. So not sure how it really shakes out.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
NY and LA rents might be out of this world, but it will be interesting to see if desirable urban neighborhood rents in Houston start to become similar to those in more interesting cities like Denver or Portland. People would still move to Houston for jobs obviously, but it would be harder to call being cheap its primary advantage.

Anyways, is there any possibility that housing in Texas would veer towards the national average?

I wonder what drives expensive property taxes in east coast suburbs? This is not the first time I've heard of this. Quick research shows they don't provide a proportional amount of services for that money or do any progressive or proactive urban planning.
So what city are you located in? I haven't figured that out yet, and your profile doesn't say.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions