HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 8:37 PM
Eurosceptic

Will Portland Always Be a Retirement Community for the Young?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/ma...the-young.html
Quote:
Will Portland Always Be a Retirement Community for the Young?

Like many residents of Northwest Portland, Matthew Hale doesn’t own a car. Instead, he prefers to walk or ride the bus to the city’s innumerable coffee shops and breweries and live-music spots. On weekends, he and his wife have no problem hitching rides to the Pacific Coast or the Cascade mountain range. Everywhere he looks, Hale told me, there are people just like him — bearded, on skateboards, brewing kombucha. “It’s really chill,” he says.

Portland has taken hold of the cultural imagination as, to borrow the tag line from “Portlandia,” the place where young people go to retire. And for good reason: The city has nearly all the perks that economists suggest lead to a high quality of life — coastlines, mountains, mild winters and summers, restaurants, cultural institutions and clean air. (Fortunately, college-educated people don’t value sunshine as much as they used to.) Portland also has qualities that are less tangible but still likely to attract young people these days, like a politically open culture that supports gay rights and the legalization of marijuana — in addition to the right of way for unicyclists or the ability to marry in a 24/7 doughnut shop. “It’s really captured the zeitgeist of the age in a way that no other small city in America ever has,” said Aaron Renn, an urban-affairs analyst who writes the Urbanophile blog. According to professors from Portland State University, the city has been able to attract and retain young college-educated people at the second-highest rate in the nation. (Louisville, Ky., is No. 1.)

City dwelling is generally considered a good thing for the overall economy. Proximity and serendipity offer employers a better chance to hire the perfect person for a job as opposed to someone whose skills just sort of match, according to the work of Enrico Moretti, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley. Chance encounters in dense cities, Moretti has argued, lead to innovation, which subsequently leads to income. And as the baby boomers retire, the pressure is on the young and highly educated to spur urban economies. As a result, many American cities are remaking themselves to lure human capital, offering various perks, like cheap housing and tax breaks, in the hope that smart young people can attract others like them. The Greater Houston area has added more than a million residents since 2000, in large part through generous tax breaks and the growth of the energy sector. Las Vegas is in the middle of a privately funded $350 million project to transform its derelict downtown into a tech incubator. Parts of Detroit have more or less been turned over to the online-mortgage billionaire Dan Gilbert. Other cities like Austin, Tex.; Boulder, Colo.; Raleigh, N.C.; and Nashville have tried, in some way or other, to spark their own little Silicon Valleys.

Portland, meanwhile, has the opposite problem. It has more highly educated people than it knows what to do with. Portland is not a corporate town, as its neighbors Seattle and San Francisco have become. While there are employment opportunities in the outdoor-apparel business (Nike, Adidas and Columbia Sportswear are all nearby) or the semiconductor industry (Intel has a large presence in Hillsboro), most workers have far fewer opportunities. According to Renn, personal income per capita in the city grew by a mere 31 percent between 2000 and 2012, slower than 42 other cities, including Grand Rapids, Mich., and Rochester. And yet people still keep showing up. “People move to New York to be in media or finance; they move to L.A. to be in show business,” Renn said. “People move to Portland to move to Portland.” Matthew Hale may have all the kombucha he can drink, but he doesn’t have a job.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 8:52 PM

i used to explain the social temperment of portland like this.

"hey tom, whats portland like?"

"well, remember all those kids in high school that didnt really fit in? well, we all moved to portland and now everybody fits in. its great."

"huh?" *puzzled look*

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 9:14 PM

from the article "During that time, the young and educated abandoned cities like Phoenix and Atlanta in large numbers for places like Austin and Portland. But as job prospects improve, and unemployment shrinks to its lowest levels since the crash, it’s likely that many of the young people who fled to Portland will soon chase their ambitions to less cool places — the ones that people move to when it’s time to become an adult. Then Portland will find out who the true believers really are"

ive been here nearly 20 years and this notion that portland is kind of a "starter city" for some people is quickly changing too. were in the middle of transit boom, housing boom, the economy is expanding quickly and its eerily starting to look like a big, big city. not just a large american, no name kind of town. its crane city at the moment and for the first time since i moved here, i kind of got that big city vibe i get in 3 million plus town (which apparently the CSA is now...did not know this). dunno, youd have to be here i guess.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
i kind of got that big city vibe i get in 3 million plus town (which apparently the CSA is now...did not know this).
Well, they managed to scrounge up 2.993 million by adding Salem to the CSA, then Longview-Kelso, then Corvallis-Albany. "Core" Portland/Vancouver minus the disconnected stuff like Woodburn was around 1.8 or 1.9 million a few years ago; it's probably around 2 these days.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:44 PM

i dunno, id probably include salem in the CSA. not albany though. thats too far. pop stats aside, portland definitely punches above its weight when it comes to street life and general urbanity. its a good time to be here.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The Albany MSA and Corvalis MSA have a combined population of 205,356 people. Subtract that from the Portland CSA and you still have 2,816,822 people--a population that would rank it between St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 AM

When I lived in Portland in my mid 20's for almost a year, I felt some of the vibe this article speaks of, but honestly its a great deal stereotype and doesn't take into account the entire region or even all of the city.

There's a paradox I suppose, I never could find employment to get above $30k when I lived there, so ultimately I did leave when the job went bust and didn't "retire young." But the greater economy there does have a lot of high tech jobs and its growing from something. A city can't exist from nothing... I suppose there's truth to the stereotype, but its not the entire story.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:01 AM

^^^perceptions of the city are definitely geographic dependant. i live in NW portland, which is far more dense and like a normal big city with all the requisite stuff. the tone of that article kind of describes inner NE and SE portland about a decade to 15 years ago. those neighborhoods are pretty much all gentrified at this point. sure you can still be in a punk rock band and work two sevice sector type jobs and have a bunch of roomates, but even those neighborhoods are starting to dry up. portland is finally tall enough to sit at the big kids table however.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:59 AM

I think Austin could give Portland a good run for it's money now.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:32 AM

The local high-tech economy is really booming and diversifying. It was pretty much semiconductor manufacturing, (which surpassed the wood products industry in Oregon employment 20 years ago), but there's a lot of growth in the central city with software firms these days, some homegrown and some like Google setting up offices -- now DT has the lowest office vacancy rate the nation, or at least did over the summer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:39 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

The Atlantic's CityLab has done a rebuttal. It says a lot of the same things people here are bringing up.

Portland: Hardly 'A Retirement Community for the Young'

Hey, New York Times: Portland happens to outshine many U.S. cities in entrepreneurship, job growth, productivity—and the elusive "second paycheck."

Quote:
I think Austin could give Portland a good run for it's money now.
I wish. I'm not an Austin resident but I percieve Austin to be losing it's cool to gentrification and it's NIMBY dominated city council seems anti-progressive.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I wish. I'm not an Austin resident but I percieve Austin to be losing it's cool to gentrification and it's NIMBY dominated city council seems anti-progressive.
It is definitely gentrifying, but there's still a lot of weirdness left. Albeit, weirdness that gets more expensive maintain. I wonder how Portland and Austin compare in hipster cost of living.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:14 PM
Honored Member

I think Austin thinks it's weird for the simple fact that it's comparing itself to the rest of Texas.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, from my perspective, austin comes across as normal. it's the rest of texas that seems really fucking weird

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 10:11 PM

the article also fails to mention that on the other side of the west hills, washington county is silently kicking ass (and building tract housing) but hey, people are working. thats where all the high tech and precision engineering jobs are and 530,000 of the regions 2 millionish population. In fact, the three county unemployment rate was 7.1 percent last year. Thats below the national average by nearly 1 percent. shrug.....so i think the nyt is full of horseshit.

Last edited by pdxtex; Sep 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
It is definitely gentrifying, but there's still a lot of weirdness left. Albeit, weirdness that gets more expensive maintain. I wonder how Portland and Austin compare in hipster cost of living.
what is hipster cost of living? like, how little can you get by with? if you live with roomates, cost of living is still pretty cheap. you get bent over the coffee table when you try and rent a 1 bedroom in a close in neighborhood though. i lived in a big stoner hippy house and paid 450 bucks for rent, including utilities. that was back in 2008-2010.. we had a huge tv, xbox, two cats, a garden, music room and big outdoor area. it was awesome. then i got a girlfriend and took my place in the domesticity line, which still has some awesome moments.....and an xbox.....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
According to professors from Portland State University, the city has been able to attract and retain young college-educated people at the second-highest rate in the nation. (Louisville, Ky., is No. 1.)
I don't have much of anything to say about Portland but earlier this year I broke up a really long road trip by spending two days in downtown Louisville. Had a great time. Didn't touch the car once, walked everywhere I went. A lot of interesting things going on and everything was reasonably priced. It was a really pleasant surprise.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions