HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Self driving cars will only turn stop and go jams into a plodding conveyor belt of cars. They do not solve the fact that a single person in a single car is an inefficient use of space and infrastructure. What they will do is cut down on the need for onsite parking freeing up more land for development.
I'm sure that self-driving would work better than regular cars, but the thing that mass transit will always have is --- schedules. Traffic flow can be planned in the latter case. One can never plan, in more than a general way (like rush hour) for where and when more autonomous vehicles are going to show up.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
yes and people fail to realize that the US is really only major industrialized country that allowed most of it's cities to decline for 30-40 years. Urban living didn't go out of vogue in Europe and other places just because the car became more commonplace.[/U][/U] People are used to doing more with less space in other parts of the world, even in rich countries.
For Europe, the difference is that they have an awesome rail system that people actually use not just for work but leisure, and the historical cost-prohibitive price of petrol was really a luxury to have a car, so many didn't have them. So, you could get all your services living in the city and not be dependent on getting services with the use of a car outside of the city.

Recently, I heard that because of the lower price of gasoline in the US, people are willing to live and commute from the farther reaches of the suburbs and the big SUVs are back in vogue. East and West Coasts will continue to rise in population and density. All trends point to this, but I don't think the suburbs are going anywhere anytime soon. Different folks/different strokes, I guess. There will always be a cycle of people transitioning from city to suburbs to city for whatever reasons or people that will always live in the city or people that will always live in the suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:27 AM
build awesome buildings

I heard rumors there was a development proposed in North Philly near the train station. Anyone want to talk about that?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I heard rumors there was a development proposed in North Philly near the train station. Anyone want to talk about that?
not much else to say about it for now.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 12:30 PM

Did this get any RACP grants?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Did this get any RACP grants?
Answered my own question. Received $2.4 million out of a requested $20 million.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171222.html

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:30 PM

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I feel as if though this is a project that Temple would like to get behind.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:30 PM

https://www2.philly.com/philly/busin...-20181015.html
This article mentions that this is a “Qualified Opportunity Zone” which apparently means you get hyooge tax breaks for building here. Hopefully we should see something soon.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
https://www2.philly.com/philly/busin...-20181015.html
This article mentions that this is a “Qualified Opportunity Zone” which apparently means you get hyooge tax breaks for building here. Hopefully we should see something soon.

I hope you're right. For those who have run out of their free views for the month, Here is an "interactive map" of the opportunity zones.

http://dced.maps.arcgis.com/home/web...a993a00d77ed4c

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:55 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this from the Developers website:

North Station District is covered under "Current Projects" if that means anything:
https://www.hfzcap.com/portfolio

Not sure if this is a new/old proposal at the top:
https://www.hfzcap.com/portfolio/north

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdman View Post
Not sure if anyone saw this from the Developers website:

North Station District is covered under "Current Projects" if that means anything:
https://www.hfzcap.com/portfolio

Not sure if this is a new/old proposal at the top:
https://www.hfzcap.com/portfolio/north
That's the overall master plan. Phase 1 includes the two buildings fronting Broad Street, and a rehab of an existing warehouse on site in the back along 16th Street.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:47 PM

This project seems extremely likely to happen, especially if it receives RACP money. With that said, is now the perfect time to purchase real estate surrounding North Philadelphia Station? I walk around that area less since graduating from Temple back in May, but I still do make my way up there occasionally. Some of the rowhomes around there would be perfect for rehabbing, and the Botany Building at Broad and Lehigh would be perfect for a residential conversion. Additionally, a huge plot of vacant land was sold at Broad and Somerset.

I'm not a professional RE investor, but now seems like the perfect time to buy and hold land north of "Templetown." If Temple gets involved in this project (which it should, as my alma mater should have higher-quality research facilities and incubator space along an innovation corridor [Broad Street]) or this company manages to find a large tenant, then this section of North Philadelphia will be fundamentally changed.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:53 PM

I'm not sure we can reasonably expect the area north of Temple to take off but considering how cheap RE is here, it is reasonable to expect some sort of decent ROI.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:22 PM

From the Lowrises thread via Urbanthusiat:
Development permit signals progress at site near Amtrak’s North Philly station
Quote:
The developers seeking to revitalize the blighted area around Amtrak’s North Philadelphia station into a new complex of homes, research labs and offices have been issued a zoning permit to build a residential mid-rise, the first solid sign of progress in the so-called North Station District plan since the land acquisition.

North Station District LLC, as the consortium of real estate investors is known, was granted permission on Jan. 18 to build a seven-story building with 135 dwelling units and ground-floor commercial space, according to Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections records.

Michael Bailkin, a principal with consortium member Arete Group, said improved station security, landscaping and lighting were also planned as part of an initial $49 million phase of the what could eventually be up to 1.7 million square feet of development on what are now vacant warehouse properties and empty lots.

“By itself, it’s not a critical mass, but it’s really the first piece of the puzzle in terms of getting actual development there,” he said.
http://www.philly.com/real-estate/co...-20190124.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:27 PM

Great to see this project taking a step forward! Hopefully building this apartment building with ground floor retail will help to attract an office tenant to the high rise.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 1:15 PM

wow

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:50 PM

This seems so pie in the sky, but I also never thought I'd see The Divine Lorraine, Hale Building and The Met come back to life.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:46 PM

A little different situation here. Those were beautiful buildings in good neighborhoods. I always figured the stars would align on those projects.

But shiny new highrises in the heart of North Philly? I was really skeptical, too. Still am, a bit. But it seems like the big driver here is that Opportunity Zone program. Glad to see it being leveraged here. And good to see real, actual progress, signaling that the developers are serious.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:33 PM

It seems as if Phase I has been submitted to CDR!
https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...DR_reduced.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals