HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:50 PM

Every time I see these pics I remember the bad experience my mother had decades ago while near the Cross Bronx. She was visiting an old friend who still lived near there when she noticed a few thugs following her. She tried running but of course they caught up and pulled a knife to her throat, snatched her bag and flung her to the pavement. Despite it being rather lonely, surprisingly two people came to her aid.

This can still happen today of course, but overall The Bronx has improved in terms of safety (relative to those days, keep in mind). As for the empty lots, most have been filled in with crap. Fortunately though, for the past 4 years, I have noticed the newer construction has been a lot better.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:03 PM

Everyone has been asking how the south bronx looks today. Let me say, it has come a long way. I'll post many of the better infill that now occupy the once bombed out streetscape.

Last edited by Bronxwood; Apr 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:30 AM

Check out "Report From Engine Company 82", by Dennis Smith. Great slice-of-life of the Great Society's toll in the Bx.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 PM

The change of the South Bronx in just 10 years, and the reversal of its "detroitization" trend of the 70's and 80's. Comparison of images from Google Earth from 2001 and 2011

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:26 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i work next to most of those sites. i will have to look close at the originals and try to line up some current photos so we can have before and afters.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 5:48 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

When I was living in Boston in the '80s and drove to New York, I always came through the Bronx. It has changed so, so much--for the better. I am so happy to see this ascendance.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Bumped on account of jaw-dropping photos of urban decay and rejuvenation.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The bad old days:
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:54 AM

Vote for Shanequa Moore for City Council this December

https://linktr.ee/MooreforCityCouncilDistrict12

Vote for Shanequa Moore for City Council this December. Help her make he Bronx Stronger. VOTE, DONATE, VOLUNTEER, SHARE!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos