HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

I created a diversity map by tract and you can click on each tract to see the racial breakdown:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...l-8QQ#map:id=4
Awesome resource. Many many appreciations for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Definitely very exciting news, and a massive example of TOD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Unfortunately the stuff between the Blue Line station and this new development is towers-in-a-park crap. This would be great TOD if the walk was lined with sandwich shops, convenience stores, and apartments, but instead it's lined with fences and parking lots.

Also: it's hard to tell from the low-quality renderings on Curbed, but half of that nice plaza in the center is actually a parking lot. If the buildings all face inwards and present blank walls to the street, I don't see how this is much better than the last 50 years of development in the IMD. At least it looks like they're saving the triangular Higgie Building?

HQ renderings:
http://www.imdc.org/attachments/arti...rings_2014.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Of course glad to see some at least reasonably intensive development coming to this part of the IMD.
It says there's a parking structure though, right? Does it say how many spaces anywhere?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Awesome resource. Many many appreciations for sharing.
Thanks! Yeah I made this back in December. Just as a clarification:
There are 5 major racial groups in this, and it's calculating the average percentage away from 20% for each, or 100 divided 5 times evenly. The lower the value, the more diverse the tract is. The higher the value, the less diverse it is. Therefore it follows that green = more diverse (lower value) and red = less diverse (higher value). The middle is a brown-ish color.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah I made this back in December. Just as a clarification:
There are 5 major racial groups in this, and it's calculating the average percentage away from 20% for each, or 100 divided 5 times evenly. The lower the value, the more diverse the tract is. The higher the value, the less diverse it is. Therefore it follows that green = more diverse (lower value) and red = less diverse (higher value). The middle is a brown-ish color.
Oh ok. I was wondering what the colors were for but I didn't really look into much on your link. I had thought that maybe the red and green colors were indicating population growth. Since I assume you got all the information from the census. Thanks again for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:

I created a diversity map by tract and you can click on each tract to see the racial breakdown:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...l-8QQ#map:id=4
whoa, this is cool

Community Area: Uptown
TRACT: 031200
Population: 5648
White %: 33.25%
Black %: 29.05%
Hispanic %: 15.08%
Asian+Amer Ind %: 20.11%
Other %: 2.50%
Avg % Difference to 20: 8.97%

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:26 PM
Urbane observer

Some interesting maps of land values from the Lincoln Institute.

http://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/2378...story-Revealed

What's sobering is how the modern values seem utterly unrelated to rail transit access.

Also, look at the contraction in Edgebrook-Sauganash-Forest Glen-Lincolnwood-West Ridge between 2005 and 2009.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:14 PM

^^^ That's great, but I'd love to see a 2014 map because the 2009 map clearly shows the damage from the recession but none of the recovery.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ That's great, but I'd love to see a 2014 map because the 2009 map clearly shows the damage from the recession but none of the recovery.
the recovery has been pretty confined to higher end properties in areas already shaded dark brown...i'd be surprised if there was much of a change.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:01 PM

Per Curbed, it looks as if an empty lot at 20 N Loomis (around Madison & Loomis - just north of the Palace Grill) is getting new luxury townhomes. Units will start at $1.95 Million. Looks as if there's maybe around 16 of these total? Spring 2015 completion date. These are nothing worth noting on the looks side of things but at least it will get rid of another empty lot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Some interesting maps of land values from the Lincoln Institute.

http://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/2378...story-Revealed

What's sobering is how the modern values seem utterly unrelated to rail transit access.

Also, look at the contraction in Edgebrook-Sauganash-Forest Glen-Lincolnwood-West Ridge between 2005 and 2009.
Agree that 2014 should at least show some recovery from the recession.

Also, it looks like the broadest prosperity around the city was around 1939. No surprising as this was just before the large black migrations into the south side began.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Per Curbed, it looks as if an empty lot at 20 N Loomis (around Madison & Loomis - just north of the Palace Grill) is getting new luxury townhomes...
It seems kind of silly to call them townhomes when you have to go through a shared lobby or a shared garage to get in or out. But, yeah it'll be nice to see another vacant lot gone.

As for those maps, I actually find it pretty encouraging how little contraction there was near the core, how the lake shore down to Hyde Park seems to be gaining value, and how the high frequency grid seems to be becoming visible again after disappearing after the 60s.

Last edited by streetline; Jul 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
the recovery has been pretty confined to higher end properties in areas already shaded dark brown...i'd be surprised if there was much of a change.
Couldn't disagree more, in my experience and opinion this growth cycle has been FAR broader than the previous. Much of the intensity of the last boom was concentrated on the North Side and downtown. The booming that is going on now is strongest all the way from Portage Park down through the entire NW side and also into the West side with the West Loop, West Town, and Ukraniain Village perhaps being the hottest of all. Pilsen, Bridgeport, and to a lesser extent Little Village and Bronzeville are seeing serious investment as well.

If you look closely at the 2005-2009 changes you see that much of the land value losses were high land value areas on the North and North Central parts of town. The areas to the NW basically stayed where they were and the SW side actually saw some orange areas gained.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 10:29 PM

There's been a good amount of new construction kind of on the Humboldt Park/Logan Square border the last few years near the 606. Bridgeport too and some in areas like Bronzeville. I'm sure there's more in other areas like rehabbing. There's also been a good amount of movement south of Chicago Ave in West Town between there and like Grand Ave.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:34 AM

The shape on these maps does not resemble the shape of the city. Does it include the northern burbs? What is with the growing blob of white on the north shore?

Also, the 1930's had already seen a ton of black migration into the city. That had started in the late teens.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:37 PM

^ True, many blacks had come to Chicago preceding the war, but the lion's share of Chicago's black contingent arrived starting in the early '40s and ending in the the early '60s.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:59 PM

This morning:

Google/SRAM/Fulton

The Front

The Back…

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:16 PM

Check out Hyde Park and the area to the west of it along the map's edge. Pretty awesome.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:52 PM
dream fast

Thanks for the updates, jc. Both projects are lookin' good.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:54 PM
dream fast

7/27

Franklin & Chestnut

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:55 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1427944.story

George Lucas to announce architects for lakefront museum
By Blair Kamin, Tribune critic
July 28, 2014

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas on Monday will announce an architectural team for his controversial planned museum on Chicago's lakefront: an avant-garde Chinese designer whose credits include Toronto-area skyscrapers dubbed the "Marilyn Monroe Towers" and Chicago's Jeanne Gang, shaper of the undulating Aqua Tower here.

Ma Yansong, founder of the Beijing firm MAD Architects, will design the building for Lucas' Museum of Narrative Art. Gang, who heads Studio Gang Architects, will conceive the landscape around the building and design a pedestrian bridge linking the museum to Northerly Island, a peninsula east of the museum site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development