HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:24 AM

i certainly find that hard to believe, but if this is truth then i'm as excited as anyone. the exposure will be amazing

Last edited by cabasse; Dec 13, 2006 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:34 AM

^^^MTV TRL as a one week stop on a rotation of many sites across the US, sure, I would buy that. Heck, I would buy the idea of a permanent fixture of a new "URBAN TRL" concept launching from atlanta. But, cmon TRL as a fixture at atlantic station? IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! The whole basis of TRL is cutting edge youth culture and accessibility to star power.....neither of which are prevelant in atlanta. I could see REAL WORLD setting up shop there, but there are dozens of better locations for that show across atlanta too.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
Born and raised

You've been living under a rock for like the last 20 years to not realize Atlanta has one of the hottest music scenes in the world. And undoubtley has the hottest hip-hop scene anywhere in the world. This has a very good chance of happening, although details where limited I'm will to bet AS has enough allure for Mtv to come during the spring or summer months. Just think of all those people walking around when it's hot. And one has to take in consideration that Mtv's "Yo Mamma" next season will be here, and is currently being filmed as we speak. Not to mention the BET Hip Hop Awards was held here also, and there're own by the same company Viacom. So to make a long story short there're already here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 4:13 PM

It's plausible that TRL could come to Atlanta. The show isn't as popular as it used to be, as evidenced by the fact that MTV keeps moving its time slot earlier in the day. (It's now weekdays at 3:30pm.) They could be looking for a way to inject new interest in the show. And it would explain the rumor earlier in this thread that a network would be setting up shop in Atlantic Station. If they're making the move, I'm sure it won't be long before we hear about it officially.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:09 PM

^^ Still it would certainly be a temporary thing. I actually remember reading about MTV taping something at AS but I didn't pay it much attention.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:09 PM

i was going to say, i don't think TRL is anything of what it was say when I was in high school, maybe 6 years ago? it was huge then in the late 90s

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-town View Post
You've been living under a rock for like the last 20 years to not realize Atlanta has one of the hottest music scenes in the world. And undoubtley has the hottest hip-hop scene anywhere in the world. This has a very good chance of happening, although details where limited I'm will to bet AS has enough allure for Mtv to come during the spring or summer months. Just think of all those people walking around when it's hot. And one has to take in consideration that Mtv's "Yo Mamma" next season will be here, and is currently being filmed as we speak. Not to mention the BET Hip Hop Awards was held here also, and there're own by the same company Viacom. So to make a long story short there're already here.

True, and not only just the talent. More and more producers, promoters, and even some label execs have now worked their way up from the Atlanta scene. A lot of the behind the scenes people that have a lot of pull.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:06 PM
Born and raised

Chris you're right on the money.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:51 PM

It is true that The Weather Channel is also looking for new studio space as well and there name has been floating around as a tenant for a studio as well as a kickoff tenant for the next tower at AS. We built TWC's studio offices way back in the late 80's up at Cumberland and they are extremely dated now and the whole area they are located in currently is being torn down and rebuilt behind Cumberland into larger and taller buildings.

As far as Atlanta being a music scene......it is absolutely 100% one of the largest music scenes/production areas in the country especially for urban and hip hop demographics. It's also got a large alternative and adult contemp segment with many producers and groups located here as well as studios. Many in Atlanta don't know of this huge economic engine that exists in this city, but Atlanta is home and 2nd homes to many in the music industry as well as the sport and movie industry.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 7:27 AM

you guys just give a big shout when TRL makes a permanent leap to ATLANTIC STATION. ill eat my words.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 3:55 PM
Peace and Pizza

TWC and TRL at Atlantic Station would turn the western side of the connector into quite the media corridor. In addition to TWC and TRL, you'd also have TBS (and associated networks) and CNN. All you would need is another studio around the GSU dorms to have a nice media corridor.

TRL's interest in Atlantic Station may be about reducing costs enough to keep the show going. If they can use Mtv's celebrity power to get free rent and other incentives from Atlantic Station, the cost difference between AS and Times Square could make it worthwhile even if the less glamourous location leads to a ratings decrease. Part of the reason why CNN will never move its operations to NYC even though most of their star power is there, is because of the low cost of doing all of the back office and production work in Atlanta. If Mtv can shift some of that to Atlanta in exchange for some exposure for the city, it would be a good deal for them. I don't know how good of a deal it would be for AS, it just depends on how much attention it brings in and how much of that translates into sales for the businesses there.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 11:41 PM

Fuji Flowers in Twelve AS is open, the space next door is being built out, anyone know whats going in?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:32 AM

Maybe it will be the Starbucks that was announced ages ago but never materialized.....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:40 AM
Peace and Pizza

Atlantic Station needs to get their act together. They're never going to be a success unless they have a higher Starbucks density than the Edgewood Retail District.

Last edited by AubieTurtle; Dec 15, 2006 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason21atl View Post
Maybe it will be the Starbucks that was announced ages ago but never materialized.....
I thought that was wrong since Target would have a Starbucks inside.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNofAtlanta View Post
I thought that was wrong since Target would have a Starbucks inside.
And they can not allow Starbucks since they already have a coffee shop there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

I've started an Atlantic Station II thread. Please route all future posts over there. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 3:56 PM
Movin' on UP

I've just about given up looking for the Atlantic Station II thread, can someone post a link or tell what forum subsection its under. Thanks

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 4:02 PM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Link To The Atlantic Station II Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=121894

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta