HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
It looks like you put some good effort into this...I was thinking there should probably be another employment center around the airport?
Well I appreciate everybody's kind words on it but it still has a long way to go. I know there is some who say where in tarnation does a man come up with all that information?, okay, so here's what I did. You go to the official U.S. Census bureau and they have it all right there, there is still some estimating but that's basically it. That idea about the airport is a good one.

Last edited by cybele; Apr 11, 2010 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 3:30 PM
Man of Many Statistics

How does the Census know this? I never filled something out like this...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 5:27 PM

Well they used to ask people all such as that and they didn't mind telling but now that Obama is in you got people who say they will shoot the census fella if he comes on their land.

Journey To Work and Place Of Work

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:56 AM
Man of Many Statistics

I have a feeling certain states are going to be reporting extremely low populations. Hiding from the census means that Obama will never find you and cover you in one of his "moral imperatives" like "unemployment benefits" and "universal health coverage."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 1:19 PM

All of that information used to be in the census, but it is now covered in the American Community Survey.
http://www.census.gov/acs/www/
My household was randomly chosen to fill it out about 2 years ago. It was fairly comprehnsive - it asked the basics (names/age/race etc of household memebrs) but also about what type of work you do, how you get to work and how long it takes you to get there, education levels, etc... a lot of stuff that can really help with city planning issues.

Also, the ARC's travel demand model has a lot of information in it similar to what cybele has been doing:
http://www.atlantaregional.com/trans...l-demand-model. Unfortunately, while they have a lot of info about the model, they don't really have many publicly available graphical representations. It'd be nice if they would put up some PDFs showing transportation use in the area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 5:48 PM

Well, there's a good bit going on this weekend with Freaknik, the Dogwood Festival, the Sweetwater 420 Festival, a robotics competition, a Bon Jovi concert and an Atlanta Braves weekend series. Looks like the GDOT has picked a fine time to start repaving the dang connector.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/frea...ta-458977.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 5:54 PM
Man of Many Statistics

When are they not repaving the connector?

10 Street by Hemphill must have 30 layers of asphalt on it by now too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
I have a feeling certain states are going to be reporting extremely low populations. Hiding from the census means that Obama will never find you and cover you in one of his "moral imperatives" like "unemployment benefits" and "universal health coverage."
Well, it will most likely hurt the south. My email is full of this that and the other from a man who is scared to death Obama and them is out to get him, which is a crying shame on account of there is so much road money at stake.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, it will most likely hurt the south. My email is full of this that and the other from a man who is scared to death Obama and them is out to get him, which is a crying shame on account of there is so much road money at stake.
And TRANSIT money too...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:07 PM

Quote:
I have to imagine that someone like you describe is in a very tiny minority...most Obama-haters can't be that ignorant. So while it may hurt the South, it shouldn't hurt that much.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:21 PM

Well, it looks like the ATL ranks 11 in traffic congestion, which is better than NYC, Chicago, San Fran and Washington DC but worse than some.

That's what some big traffic outfit at the ARC says anyway.

So maybe the MARTA and whatnot is helping out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:55 PM

Quote:
According to the latest scorecard, the national economic slowdown has produced at least one positive result – a significant reduction in traffic congestion nationwide and in metro Atlanta.

Quote:
As Table 1 shows, Atlanta ranks 11th among the top 100 metro areas in overall congestion in 2009, and had a Travel Time Tax of 10.6 percent, which is significantly lower than the 18.7 percent recorded in 2006.
if the economy of georgia is in for a slow rebound like the economists
are saying than we're in for better travel time

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 5:10 PM
Reliable Source

Quote:
we're in for better travel time
This is what I've been predicting, due to the limits on Atlanta's and the nation's growth. We don't need all your daddy's expensive transportation solutions.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
This is what I've been predicting, due to the limits on Atlanta's and the nation's growth. We don't need all your daddy's expensive transportation solutions.
There's less traffic because less people are working which means more people are unemployed which isn't a good thing. If you want the economy and the population to decline, then you're right, we don't need "all your daddy's expensive transportation solutions". Lets just do nothing and watch businesses and people leave, and then our traffic will get better! What a GREAT idea...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 12:03 AM
Reliable Source

It's not a matter of what I want, it's just what's happening. The US economy is collapsing, slowly.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Well I appreciate everybody's kind words on it but it still has a long way to go. I know there is some who say where in tarnation does a man come up with all that information?, okay, so here's what I did. You go to the official U.S. Census bureau and they have it all right there, there is still some estimating but that's basically it. That idea about the airport is a good one.

Would be interesting to see a weighted arrow graphic with this, maybe a metro map with arrows showing direction and relative sizes of the migration.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Would be interesting to see a weighted arrow graphic with this, maybe a metro map with arrows showing direction and relative sizes of the migration.
Well I tried but it has people going ever which way,which I guess is what we do in the ATL.

Another thing, on these HOT Lanes will your cruise card work or will you have to get another one. Who wants stuff plastered all over the windshield?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 3:56 PM

^ looks like a huge move intown to me...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 5:34 PM

Fulton county is the Manhattan of Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
^ looks like a huge move intown to me...
Looks like Fulton county is the destination where the VAST majority of metro residents from other counties travel to for employment opportunities.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:46 PM

Well it takes all kinds but here is one who is out of touch. You've got Obama talking about putting $50 billion on the infrastructure and this man says to start tearing down perfectly good roads. Let's hope he doesn't come to the ATL, that's all we need.

Time To Accelerate Freeway Teardowns?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta