HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
Honestly, if you want to get into percentages we can but I would be willing to bet that 90% have a criminal history and a history with drugs. While there are other factors in play obviously, they also do share some responsibility for their station in life. Do not twist what I'm saying to mean that they do not deserve help because of course they do. They also should not be a blackeye in the middle of our city. There is nothing wrong with putting the shelter in an area (near garnett station downtown) where its impact will be less felt. That specific shelter on Peachtree Street is a blight and needs to be removed, not shelters elsewhere or shelters in general. Downtown has plenty of vacant buildings where a shelter could be placed.
I wonder how the people who live and work near Garnett Station would feel about your solution? Just because you don't frequent that area doesn't mean that it's a good place to plop the homeless. I say keep them in a high-profile area where more people will remember the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug.

I think that you, along with many others, tend to assume that people often "deserve" to be homeless because of something they have done. I can't even being to tell you how wrong that is...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I wonder how the people who live and work near Garnett Station would feel about your solution? Just because you don't frequent that area doesn't mean that it's a good place to plop the homeless. I say keep them in a high-profile area where more people will remember the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug.

I think that you, along with many others, tend to assume that people often "deserve" to be homeless because of something they have done. I can't even being to tell you how wrong that is...
How do they like the city prison, strip clubs and other smaller shelters in the area?

Let me get this straight, you want to keep them in the center of our city so they are free to go out and scare away tourists, prevent development of a huge swath of territory in the center of our city, sell and use drugs, and urinate and defecate in public because you believe that we deserve to be punished because we have not done enough to prevent them from being homeless? What percentage of a person's life is their responsibility?

Nobody is suggesting that we sweep the problem under the rug, all we are saying is that the pine street shelter is poorly run and the people who inhabit it are hurting Atlanta and its citizens on a huge financial scale.

To clarify because you are obviously unable to understand what I have said and will continue to say: I believe we should help the homeless. I also believe that their are many factors which led to their homelessness. Nobody deserves to be homeless.

However, I also am unwilling to forgive them for everything they do. I believe that they do have some personal responsibility. I will not forgive them for breaking into cars, pestering visitors to our city, urinating in broad daylight, and other sorts of petty crimes because they are homeless.

Also, regarding the Peachtree-Pine shelter: I believe and know that there are programs elsewhere that are successfully rehabilitating homeless people and integrating them back into society. Unfortunately, the Peachtree Pine shelter and those who run it are incompetent. Instead of helping to solve a problem, they have exacerbated a problem to an incredible degree. There is a reason you don't see people complaining about the shelters near centennial olympic park (hint hint they do their job).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 7:03 PM

I won't comment on the quality of the Peachtree-Pine shelter because I have no factual information on it. But once again I will say that the majority of homeless people are not criminal who go around breaking car windows and urinating in public...and the fact that you continue to push this misconception is simply unnacceptable. It just isn't true.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 10:55 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
I won't comment on the quality of the Peachtree-Pine shelter because I have no factual information on it. But once again I will say that the majority of homeless people are not criminal who go around breaking car windows and urinating in public...and the fact that you continue to push this misconception is simply unnacceptable. It just isn't true.
Where are you from? Have you ever lived whithin the city limits of Atlanta? One last question. Where did you buy those fabulous rose colored glasses?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
How do they like the city prison, strip clubs and other smaller shelters in the area?

Let me get this straight, you want to keep them in the center of our city so they are free to go out and scare away tourists, prevent development of a huge swath of territory in the center of our city, sell and use drugs, and urinate and defecate in public because you believe that we deserve to be punished because we have not done enough to prevent them from being homeless? What percentage of a person's life is their responsibility?

Nobody is suggesting that we sweep the problem under the rug, all we are saying is that the pine street shelter is poorly run and the people who inhabit it are hurting Atlanta and its citizens on a huge financial scale.

To clarify because you are obviously unable to understand what I have said and will continue to say: I believe we should help the homeless. I also believe that their are many factors which led to their homelessness. Nobody deserves to be homeless.

However, I also am unwilling to forgive them for everything they do. I believe that they do have some personal responsibility. I will not forgive them for breaking into cars, pestering visitors to our city, urinating in broad daylight, and other sorts of petty crimes because they are homeless.

Also, regarding the Peachtree-Pine shelter: I believe and know that there are programs elsewhere that are successfully rehabilitating homeless people and integrating them back into society. Unfortunately, the Peachtree Pine shelter and those who run it are incompetent. Instead of helping to solve a problem, they have exacerbated a problem to an incredible degree. There is a reason you don't see people complaining about the shelters near centennial olympic park (hint hint they do their job).
I agree with everything you said here.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:

I agree with you TarHeelJ. It's a matter of perspective.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:

You seem to suggest that it's more management of the Peachtree Pine shelter than its location. If that's the case, the physical movement of the Peachtree Pine shelter to Garnett area with the same management will not solve anything. Maybe the change of management would be the better, more holistic approach to the solution.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
You seem to suggest that it's more management of the Peachtree Pine shelter than its location. If that's the case, the physical movement of the Peachtree Pine shelter to Garnett area with the same management will not solve anything. Maybe the change of management would be the better, more holistic approach to the solution.
If the shelter was better run, it would obviously help the situation. But I still don't think its a good idea to have a shelter in the central business district of our city is a good idea. I would like to see a change in management and location. The Pine shelter is known as a bad seed, and they have lost their federal funding as a result.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:24 AM

nvm

Last edited by Snakebit; Dec 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:30 AM

nvm

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know what else to say to you, have you ever been in Atlanta? I mean, I see homeless people doing something illegal almost every day. My roommate had his window busted out when I lived near Woodruff park because he had some change in his cup holder. My property manager told me this happens all the time. According to her, the homeless steel spark plugs to break the windows.

During this same period I saw homeless people bothering tourists and business people every day in and around centennial park. I lived 3 blocks from work and would get asked 6 or 7 times on each trip for money (I probably gave away a couple hundred dollars in change over the year). The smell of urine and feces is so strong on some of the streets near the Pine shelter and near Woodruff park it is hard to breath. I can't tell you how many of them I saw smoking drugs. They stumble across busy streets (I see them almost get hit all the time), throw their trash everywhere they see fit, etc. My dog almost would try to eat the chicken bones that they throw around woodruff park ... I'm talking thousands of bones.

Hell, I even saw some of them having sex in a dumpster more than once. I had to walk near the pine street shelter recently and saw human feces and used condoms on the sidewalk.

Then when they're done with all this they go to sleep at the pine street shelter, shower, and start the process again with no questions asked. I had one follow me into my apartment complex with intent to assault me because I didn't give him money and I was wearing a suit. When I told him that if he didn't leave I was going to call the cops he said "it doesn't matter, I'm a veteran and will be out in a couple hours." This is a common attitude among them. Right now, they own this city.

Do you really think it is a good idea to have a shelter like this on the front door step of our city?

I will meet you tomorrow at the pine street shelter and we can do a poll of the homeless people. I can promise you that a majority will have a criminal record and and a history of drugs. What's your evidence against this? Show me something, and take off your rose colored glasses.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 3:52 PM

I love it when people who live in the burbs or no where near Atlanta chime in on issues they know nothing about.

I think all shelters should be moved to more remote locations. Also make it illegal to ask for money, or sleep on the streets (no camping laws). Also beef up no loitering laws.

The problem has gotten out of hand and needs to be fixed, which means getting tough. Once the issue has been resolved then we can look at intown shelter solutions. The problem was brought on because a lot of the shelters do a bad job, and have abused the city they depend on for funds and infastructure. The "good" ones suffer because of the bad ones. Perhaps once the situation improves they are the first to be allowed back in.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 5:47 PM

Well becoming homeless can happen to anybody. Especially now that the middle class is being gutted. I was reading the other day that the foreclosure crisis in Atlanta will continue through 2013 so we are bound to see a whopping increase in our homeless population.

That being said it has always seemed to me the worst place for homeless folks is downtown in a city. There's nothing but concrete and pavement around. You need a place with parks (or at least big yards that could be converted to parks) and lots of vacant housing. You also need schools for homeless children and places for people to get jobs, all of which is mainly in the suburbs. Granted public transportation in the suburbs is not as good in the suburbs but you can deal with that and it not the only factor.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I don't know what else to say to you, have you ever been in Atlanta? I mean, I see homeless people doing something illegal almost every day. My roommate had his window busted out when I lived near Woodruff park because he had some change in his cup holder. My property manager told me this happens all the time. According to her, the homeless steel spark plugs to break the windows.

During this same period I saw homeless people bothering tourists and business people every day in and around centennial park. I lived 3 blocks from work and would get asked 6 or 7 times on each trip for money (I probably gave away a couple hundred dollars in change over the year). The smell of urine and feces is so strong on some of the streets near the Pine shelter and near Woodruff park it is hard to breath. I can't tell you how many of them I saw smoking drugs. They stumble across busy streets (I see them almost get hit all the time), throw their trash everywhere they see fit, etc. My dog almost would try to eat the chicken bones that they throw around woodruff park ... I'm talking thousands of bones.

Hell, I even saw some of them having sex in a dumpster more than once. I had to walk near the pine street shelter recently and saw human feces and used condoms on the sidewalk.

Then when they're done with all this they go to sleep at the pine street shelter, shower, and start the process again with no questions asked. I had one follow me into my apartment complex with intent to assault me because I didn't give him money and I was wearing a suit. When I told him that if he didn't leave I was going to call the cops he said "it doesn't matter, I'm a veteran and will be out in a couple hours." This is a common attitude among them. Right now, they own this city.

Do you really think it is a good idea to have a shelter like this on the front door step of our city?

I will meet you tomorrow at the pine street shelter and we can do a poll of the homeless people. I can promise you that a majority will have a criminal record and and a history of drugs. What's your evidence against this? Show me something, and take off your rose colored glasses.
How do you identify these homeless people? Are they wearing big signs around their necks?

It sounds like to me that you make MANY assumptions in your assessment of the homeless situation in Atlanta. You can't possibly believe that you know anything about these people - like their involvement with drugs and alcohol or their criminal record.

I've lived in Atlanta for 20 years. I have never been more than slightly bothered by a homeless person (again - I guess we are assuming that all beggars are homeless)...but it seems like you might be more comfortable living in the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
How do you identify these homeless people? Are they wearing big signs around their necks?

It sounds like to me that you make MANY assumptions in your assessment of the homeless situation in Atlanta. You can't possibly believe that you know anything about these people - like their involvement with drugs and alcohol or their criminal record.

I've lived in Atlanta for 20 years. I have never been more than slightly bothered by a homeless person (again - I guess we are assuming that all beggars are homeless)...but it seems like you might be more comfortable living in the suburbs.
So none of these beggers were homeless? None of the homeless have criminal/ drug histories? Unlike you, I've actually lived in areas of this city inundated with homeless people and can identify them because I have observed them. I know these things about them because of this hands-on experience. I also have the ability to make conclusions based on accumulation of evidence, something that seems to be missing up there in that ivory tower of acceptance and knowledge.

The world according to TarheelJ: Homeless people are really church going, normal folks. They just can't find a job for some reason. Also, those brown paper bags with bottles they carry around are just holding their juice boxes. Give me a break.

To be frank, you must be one of the 5% of the residents of this city who have never been bothered by the homeless. This city must become one where families are not afraid to live. Where tourists can walk across centennial park without being bothered five thousand times. Where you can walk down the main street of our city and not be worried about stepping in feces and vomit. If you really don't know that there is a problem, then you must have been living in a bubble for the past 20 years.

As a taxpaying citizen who loves Atlanta, I can criticize this city. You are just like the people who created this problem. Maybe, like them, you're too stupid to understand the difference between helping someone and enabling them.

Kasim Reed, Atl Mayor, on this problem:

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...4/daily52.html

Atlanta-Mayor Elect Kasim Reed plans to make the city's panhandling issue a top priority.

Reed, speaking to the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau executive committee and board of directors Wednesday morning, declared his administration is going to "fix panhandling."

He said the city would have "robust enforcement" directed at panhandling.

Panhandling is a complex issue that will take a lot of work to solve "but we need the city leadership to make this a high priority because of its potential negative economic impact on the city," said Ken Bernhardt, incoming ACVB chairman.

The first step to solve panhandling is to enforce existing ordinances, Bernhardt said. The second step is to educate the public that "giving panhandlers money merely accentuates the problem, rather than solve the problem."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 3:56 AM

PROOF! AJC article from today:

No walking away from panhandling problem

ShareThis PrintE-mail
By Ernie Suggs
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Last Wednesday, a day after seeing U2 perform at the Georgia Dome, Carly Horine and Peter Hainje strolled through Centennial Olympic Par

The couple, who were flying home to Indianapolis that night, had walked from Underground Atlanta to the park — through what seemed like an urban minefield of homeless people and beggars. A man hanging from a lamppost screamed at them as they walked by.

“I was wondering where the mission was, because I saw so many panhandlers. Some of it alarmed me and some of it was very intimidating,” Horine said. “If Peter wasn’t here with me, I would have already left. I wouldn’t be out here.”

These are the people Atlanta wants in its downtown: tourists who take in a show, go to a game, see the aquarium. They spend money at hotels and restaurants, and they leave happy. But downtown Atlanta seems to be missing one key ingredient: the feeling that you’re safe on the streets.

Urban planners and local boosters call panhandling and homelessness “the quality of life issue.” And it won’t go away.

---

Dealing with the homeless and beggars downtown has been a key issue during Shirley Franklin’s eight years as mayor. That’s mainly because everyone confronts it, including city residents, businesses, college students, politicians, policy-makers, suburbanites and tourists.

“I always sigh when I talk about it, because it is such a long conversation,” said Debi Starnes, Franklin’s homeless policy adviser. “It is a very daunting issue, especially in this economy.”

For the past four years, Atlanta has been fighting what it calls “aggressive panhandling.” In 2005 Franklin signed an ordinance that made it illegal to panhandle in parts of downtown.

The law made it illegal to audibly beg for money in the “tourist triangle” that contains the Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park and several major hotels. The Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site is not in the triangle but is covered by the law as if it were. The measure also outlaws begging anywhere in Atlanta after dark.

On the third violation a panhandler may be jailed for up to 30 days, fined up to $1,000 and ordered to perform community service.

The ordinance was viewed by critics as an attempt by the business community and Franklin to rid the city of its underclass. Supporters said panhandling was hurting the city by driving away tourists, while making life miserable downtown.

“Aggressive panhandlers see the banners and they know when conventions are coming to town,” said William Pate, president and CEO of the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau. “They come to panhandle visitors to the city. That is where they are successful. That is why you don’t hear about panhandlers in Snellville.”

---

Wilma Sothern, vice president of marketing for Central Atlanta Progress, which promotes the city’s economic vitality by marketing downtown, said the ordinance had problems. “Everything fell on APD for enforcement and that wasn’t working.”

So in September 2008, after a police crackdown on aggressive panhandlers and a subsequent survey of tourists who continued to complain about the problem, the city took it a step further with a public education campaign called “Stop Panhandling. Give Change That Makes Sense.”

Part of the plan was to install 24 “Giving Meters,” into which donors could drop change for the needy instead of giving to panhandlers. The bright yellow meters feature signs reading, “Don’t give to panhandlers.”

Sothern said the 16 meters in place now collect a total of about $5 a day, which is collected by the city and distributed to agencies. Eight more meters will be installed within the next two months.

But in a Central Atlanta Progress poll released in March, 30 percent of the people surveyed said they still give money to panhandlers.

The survey, conducted by the Schapiro Group, interviewed 297 people in downtown, Buckhead and Midtown. Of those surveyed, 46 percent said panhandling was a major problem, with the highest percentage of respondents in downtown.

Walking through downtown gives the impression that no matter what steps are being taken, the problem is not going away.

“There was [once] a whole lot of talk about the panhandling ordinance, but no one is talking about it anymore,” said Cliff Potts, a salesman at Brite Creations, a clothing store downtown. “So anybody coming around with a convention badge ... the panhandlers are giving him fits. If a minister leaves our store with a new suit, they are all on him. That makes people not want to come here anymore.”

The Atlanta Police Department ignored numerous requests from the Journal-Constitution for statistics on panhandling arrests downtown.

According to Central Atlanta Progress, at a town hall meeting in July the APD reported that it had made 505 panhandling-related arrests since August 2008.

Police also conducted 250 formal “interventions” over that period. At the same time, the city’s Ambassador Force conducted 1,925 interventions, in which panhandlers were ordered to move on or directed to the Gateway 24/7 Homeless Services Center.

In hearing the arrest numbers, Potts and others wondered where the impact is.

J. Leonard, who with her husband has operated J&G Fish and Grits on Forsyth Street for two years, said men used to come into the restaurant to sleep, beg and harass customers.

“The first year was kind of rough,” said Leonard, sitting at one of her tables. Outside, apparently homeless men walked past her windows more frequently than businessmen. “It makes it rough when you are trying to run a business.”

With a new mayor set to be elected in less than a month, residents and business owners are calling for the city to better enforce the current law or develop more effective ways to deal with the problem.

“We need to acknowledge that we have a problem. If we want downtown to be a destination we need to make it better,” said Joann Cotton, who works across the street from Woodruff Park in a clothing store. “Right now we are losing business, the politicians are not thinking out of the box. Everybody wants to do the status quo.”

Tuesday, the four major candidates for mayor are scheduled to debate homelessness at a forum sponsored by the Homeless Action Group.

---

Thousands of homeless — or people on the verge of homelessness — live in Atlanta.

“There are more and more people out of work and living on the edge, but the quality of life has improved and is improving,” said Central Atlanta Progress President A.J. Robinson. “But it is an ongoing challenge. In these days when you have limited resources, it becomes more challenging.”

There were 6,840 homeless people in Atlanta in 2007, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Atlanta has more homeless people than Boston and Miami, and more than Charlotte, Kansas City and St. Louis combined.

Protip Biswas, executive director of the United Way’s Regional Commission on Homelessness, believes the homeless number is higher because of the recession.

“We find many people coming to Atlanta because they think they can get jobs,” Biswas said. “Then it doesn’t prove to be the Promised Land.”

If anyone has a window to the problem, it is Cotton, whose shop, TriBeCa, is in the same space that once housed a luxurious barbershop owned by Alonzo Herndon, Atlanta’s first black millionaire.

In fact, she has two windows. She can look into Woodruff Park from her front window, while Broad Street is in full view from the back window.

“Most mornings at 9:15, 9:30 there is always somebody in front of my door. They see you coming and as a woman — walking here in the morning or after 7 at night — it can be uncomfortable,” Cotton said. “And it has a negative impact in the businesses.”

And if there is a symbol of the overall quality of life problem in Atlanta, it might be Woodruff Park. In the heart of the downtown business district, it is one of the most active and visible places in the city for homeless people and panhandlers to gather.

On one of the last days of summer, Frazier Bolton, the supervisor of the park’s attendants, was supervising a man cleaning urine off the wall of the outdoor bathroom. The homeless man who had been playing chess got up and instead of using the bathroom, urinated outside it — in broad daylight.

“I made him clean it up,” Bolton said. “It was either that or go to jail.”

Cooper Holland, of the Downtown Improvement District and the project manager for the park, said efforts are under way to raise more than $3.5 million in private and foundation money for improvements.

She said the goal is to get more people into the park with more programming and activities.

“We call it ‘solution by dilution,’ ” Holland said. “If we bring in more people it balances out.”

Holland, who moved downtown in 1996, is in the park so much that park regulars think she is “Mrs. Woodruff.”

“I feel safe, but I understand how some people might not. Downtown is a drop-off point for a lot of problems,” said Holland, surveying the park. Someone catches her eye. “We have people like ‘Janet Jackson’ [a park regular]. When she gets out of hand she goes to Grady [hospital] to get help. She is not dangerous, but that frightens some people.”

“Janet Jackson” is on her knees praying across the street from TriBeCa.

“I have been arrested about 25 times,” Jackson said, adding that she can’t remember ever getting arrested for panhandling, although she does it. “I get arrested mostly for fighting. People don’t like me touching them and I get into fights with people because I speak the word of God.”

Nearby, Emily Moran chooses her path. Moran lives in a condo across from the park and tries to walk her two rat terriers there every day. But since a homeless man stomped her dogs one morning she has been cautious.

Sometimes, Moran walks all the way down Peachtree Street, on the opposite side of the street, to enter the park from the other, quieter, end.

“If it looks bad, if the people are kind of rowdy, I walk all the way around to walk the dogs,” she said. “I just get a gut feeling about it.”

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 7:23 PM

Quote:
So none of these beggers were homeless? None of the homeless have criminal/ drug histories? Unlike you, I've actually lived in areas of this city inundated with homeless people and can identify them because I have observed them. I know these things about them because of this hands-on experience. I also have the ability to make conclusions based on accumulation of evidence, something that seems to be missing up there in that ivory tower of acceptance and knowledge.

The world according to TarheelJ: Homeless people are really church going, normal folks. They just can't find a job for some reason. Also, those brown paper bags with bottles they carry around are just holding their juice boxes. Give me a break.

To be frank, you must be one of the 5% of the residents of this city who have never been bothered by the homeless. This city must become one where families are not afraid to live. Where tourists can walk across centennial park without being bothered five thousand times. Where you can walk down the main street of our city and not be worried about stepping in feces and vomit. If you really don't know that there is a problem, then you must have been living in a bubble for the past 20 years.

As a taxpaying citizen who loves Atlanta, I can criticize this city. You are just like the people who created this problem. Maybe, like them, you're too stupid to understand the difference between helping someone and enabling them.

Kasim Reed, Atl Mayor, on this problem:

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...4/daily52.html

Atlanta-Mayor Elect Kasim Reed plans to make the city's panhandling issue a top priority.

Reed, speaking to the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau executive committee and board of directors Wednesday morning, declared his administration is going to "fix panhandling."

He said the city would have "robust enforcement" directed at panhandling.

Panhandling is a complex issue that will take a lot of work to solve "but we need the city leadership to make this a high priority because of its potential negative economic impact on the city," said Ken Bernhardt, incoming ACVB chairman.

The first step to solve panhandling is to enforce existing ordinances, Bernhardt said. The second step is to educate the public that "giving panhandlers money merely accentuates the problem, rather than solve the problem."
As usual, you totally misrepresented everything I said.

My earlier point: Just because someone "looks homeless" doesn't mean they are actually homeless. You were making many assumptions in your posts about crimes that were committed by "homeless people" and you must be aware that you have no idea whether those people are homeless or not. You are also making assumptions that homeless people are that way due to something they have done (criminal or otherwise), and you should be aware that this way of thinking is simply illogical.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:11 PM

My two cents:

I currently live next to the Pine-Street Shelter and have lived in Home Park and I have to say my experiences more closely relate to Snakebit's than to TarHeelJ's.

In regards to Pine-Street... The negatives of the Pine-Street Shelter and it's management have been well documented by many publications, so there's no use in me rehashing them. The place will eventually close because they can't afford property taxes and utilities and without government funding, both state and federal, they can't bring in enough donations to operate. I personally can't wait until the place closes and allows that area to develop into what it should be.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 2:49 AM

I have been working in the Peachtree Center Towers for about 6 months and the Peachtree area along with the surrounding area is flooded with aggressive beggars. I have seen some crazy looking homeless people withdrawing large amounts of crash from the ATM in the morning only to find them begging for money in the afternoons. When I first started working in Atlanta I felt pretty bad for many of them and when they were begging food I would often offer to buy them a meal but everyone one of them come up with an excuse of why I could not buy them a meal and it would be best just to hand over some cash. I suspect most of them just want money for hookers, beer or blow; and I'm not going to let them cut into my hookers fund.

Every month I'm feeling less and less pity for the homeless. I believe if you have the ability to walk, talk and read just a little then you should be able to find yourself a job. I think a bigger issue then the bothersome homeless is the Five Points area especially in the evening. That place is rough and there are few if any cops to be found.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerJunkie View Post
I believe if you have the ability to walk, talk and read just a little then you should be able to find yourself a job. I think a bigger issue then the bothersome homeless is the Five Points area especially in the evening. That place is rough and there are few if any cops to be found.
I know people who, in addition to having "the ability to walk, talk and read just a little," have a Master's degree (or two) and can't find jobs. There's a bit more to it than that.

I could easily be on the street myself right now, BUT:

1. After I lost my job and had to go to the emergency room with no insurance, someone let me stay with her for free while I spent nearly all my unemployment money paying for the most expensive 12 hours of my life.

2. I was able to borrow money from my parents for a couple of months

3. A guy I worked for in DC called out of the blue offering me a contract job with one of his clients

Besides, if your mental health and cognitive and decision-making faculties are completely shot as a result of addiction or illness, you can't concentrate or follow instructions well enough to hold a job. All you can think about is when you can get high again or why that tree keeps following you or why that pigeon keeps shouting at you in French. Until there's an adequately funded place for people to be evaluated, get stabilzed and have long-term follow-up care after the police throw them out of this place or that, not much is going to change.

I live and work downtown and I have people ask me for money all the time as well. (My favorite is when a guy asks for money and then asks for my phone number.) But I also have people ask me for some food from the grocery bag or to-go box I'm carrying. I see people eating from take-out boxes they've pulled out of a trash can. I've bought people food and had them just about fall over thanking me, as if I'd given them a zillion dollars instead a sandwich and a bottle of water.

But, the slicksters and tricksters who seem to have just gotten back from Iraq/out of Grady and have HIV/pneumonia and need $20 for a bus ticket back to Blytheville because their wallet and phone were JUST stolen...for the second time this week - they're on their own.

Quote:
I think a bigger issue then the bothersome homeless is the Five Points area especially in the evening. That place is rough and there are few if any cops to be found.
That's because they're all in the above-ground part of the MARTA station, making sure no one sits down. I had to laugh one day when an officer wouldn't even let two MARTA employees in uniform sit there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta