HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:09 AM

Piedmont Road (Atlanta)

The Piedmont Corridor Study is getting underway. Any suggestions as to how this "workhorse" road can be improved?

http://www.buckheadcid.com/piedmont.htm

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

A better timed signal system would be a great help for starters. I don't know how many times I've been moving along it with 40-50 cars and we all stop for 1 or 2 cars waiting to cross or turn onto Piedmont.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
A better timed signal system would be a great help for starters. I don't know how many times I've been moving along it with 40-50 cars and we all stop for 1 or 2 cars waiting to cross or turn onto Piedmont.
AMEN....what about streetcars on piedmont?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardon View Post
AMEN....what about streetcars on piedmont?
not right now. Peachtree built out first then some east-west routes, and by then piedmont will have begun to take on what is present day peachtree density and be more viable for transit.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:25 AM

I picked up the latest edition of the Buckhead version of Atlanta INtown. There was an article on Buckhead Avenues (most interesting items were that they plan to start demolition in July, and that only the City Grille building will remain. Also, Prada and Barney’s are rumored). At the end of the article there was a mention of a Piedmont Corridor Study:

“…Piedmont Corridor Study that began last month. Part of the study is to explore the feasibility of an access road that would run behind business on both sides of Piedmont Road. Green said businesses and homeowners would be involved in this , since it would mean donating property.. The study, at a cost of $200,000, is expected to last a year…”

I’m having trouble visualizing how this would work. It didn’t help that they didn’t mention what part of Piedmont they were talking about.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
I’m having trouble visualizing how this would work. It didn’t help that they didn’t mention what part of Piedmont they were talking about.
Harry, check the link I posted to the study. It's being divided up into five segments. The map on the right side of the page shows what they are.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:41 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
"Green said businesses and homeowners would be involved in this , since it would mean donating property.. The study, at a cost of $200,000, is expected to last a year…”
LOL... That's really funny ... donating property - for a road? If their plan relies on donated property I don't see this going very far. As "broken" as Piedmont may be around that area, the property is some of the most valuable in the city.

I agree that something needs to be done. However, I think the project should be wider in scope. To "fix" Piedmont, you need to fix the bad connection between 400 and 85. Connecting 400 to Beaufort Hwy to the south and creating a full intersection between this and 85 to the North and the South would keep traffic off of Sidney Marcus and Piedmont and allow for better traffic flow. When this is completed Piedmont can be developed into more of a Boulevard and less of a traffic nightmare. Also, as many have mentioned a future Beltline/Transit based development area at Piedmont and 85 could really spur this area along.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:43 PM

Funny, I was just driving this stretch of Piedmont this morning thinking "Boy, this roadway is in desperate need of streetscape improvements." Honestly, I think all that is needed is resurfacing (to match surrounding roadways and get rid of that ugly concrete), wider sidewalks with trees/benches/etc., bike lanes, and signal coordination.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:39 PM

Thanks, Andrea. The segments help somewhat, but I still don’t understand how they intend to put ‘access roads’ running behind business on Piedmont, and I totally agree that the concept of donating land for such is questionable at best.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Andrea. The segments help somewhat, but I still don’t understand how they intend to put ‘access roads’ running behind business on Piedmont, and I totally agree that the concept of donating land for such is questionable at best.
Harry, I think there has been some talk over the years about running a road behind the Selig property at Piedmont and Peachtree. However, this would abut the Peachtree Highlands neighborhood and I imagine there would be significant discussions about that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta