HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Which group of words best describe Midtown Atlanta today?
Vibrant, active, inviting, and user-friendly. 16 43.24%
Dangerous, deteriorating, downtrodden, & shameful. 0 0%
Hip, savvy, fashionable and alluring. 6 16.22%
Scary, desolate, ramshackle and embarrasing. 0 0%
Thriving, radiant, enticing - pulse of the city. 13 35.14%
Stale, old news, boring, and forgettable. 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:58 AM

Midtown Atlanta is: ???

If you had to rate Midtown Atlanta with similar-sized urban areas, how would Midtown stack up? Is Midtown the gold standard for subdistricts that are NOT considered "a downtown"?

How would you describe Midtown Atlanta today?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:59 PM

It looks like Midtown is clearly the leader in setting the bar for urban living in Atlanta.
With 20 votes (so far) this subdistrict has garnished 95% positive reviews and 5% negative reviews (1 vote). So, who's the hater?

Keep voting.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:05 PM

Midtown grew by 5,000 residential units in 2021—the most in history

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 7:42 AM

This poll was an attempt to capture the essence of Midtown.

Here's what stands out:
Midtown is a BEAST... Hands down the pulse of the city.

Midtown has about a half dozen buildings nearing completion, and about a dozen under construction or proposed in a densely populated area.
Midttown is truly on fire.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 11:27 AM
BANNED

Midtown is generally a very safe place. The sketchiest place is the area around the North Ave Marta station.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellason View Post
Midtown is generally a very safe place. The sketchiest place is the area around the North Ave Marta station.
That area is really safe ,.. I have never seen anything that looks remotely "sketchy" there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 2:02 AM

I’ll 2nd that it feels safe there. I walk at night 3-4 times a week through that area and have never once felt even a little uneasy. North Ave around the Marta is well lit and always people walking around. Anyone who feels unsafe there has never lived in a city or has a misconception of crime and sketchiness IMO.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Anyone who feels unsafe there has never lived in a city or has a misconception of crime and sketchiness IMO.
Or they’ve simply had a different experience than you. The area is not equally safe at all times, nor is it equally safe for every person. There have been plenty of instances of crime in the area and that particular station has been identified as a hotspot of human trafficking.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Or they’ve simply had a different experience than you. The area is not equally safe at all times, nor is it equally safe for every person. There have been plenty of instances of crime in the area and that particular station has been identified as a hotspot of human trafficking.
Equally safe for EVERY person? Hmm. Which person/people is it unsafe for?
Hotspot of human trafficking? Hmm. Somebody better alert the Feds, and set up a stakeout. :tup
If there is human trafficking, I'd suspect it would be at either the Civic Center station or the Garnett station where intrastate and interstate bus terminals are located.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Equally safe for EVERY person? Hmm. Which person/people is it unsafe for?
Hotspot of human trafficking? Hmm. Somebody better alert the Feds, and set up a stakeout. :tup
If there is human trafficking, I'd suspect it would be at either the Civic Center station or the Garnett station where intrastate and interstate bus terminals are located.
It’s more dangerous for women. You may be correct about those stations but North Avenue station is the one that we’re talking about and it’s the one that was specifically identified in reports on the subject.

Last edited by Username123; Feb 15, 2022 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 1:29 PM

Is there an intersection or a block that you would consider to be the center of midtown Atlanta? I'm not talking about what is the busiest part of midtown but maybe a psychological point that marks a distinction between the upper and lower parts of midtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Is there an intersection or a block that you would consider to be the center of midtown Atlanta? I'm not talking about what is the busiest part of midtown but maybe a psychological point that marks a distinction between the upper and lower parts of midtown.
I consider it to be Peachtree & 10th Street, but some would argue for Peachtree & 14th.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I consider it to be Peachtree & 10th Street, but some would argue for Peachtree & 14th.
I think 10th street is the dividing line between north and south Midtown, but I do agree Midtown is too small to be subdivided - but the locals can have fun with it.

The busiest intersections with pedestrian traffic are 5th & Spring, 14th & Peachtree, 10th & Piedmont and W. Peachtree & Peachtree Pl (aka 9th st.) IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:41 PM

I also feel that it is Peachtree and 10th. In fact, when I first arrived there to visit, I imagined that the block bounded by 10th, Peachtree, 11th and Juniper should be like a central square or green that demarcates the northern and southern portions of midtown. It already has at least two hotels overlooking it. From what I saw, the block consisted of mostly surface parking and a couple of small buildings. The area felt unfinished to me.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I also feel that it is Peachtree and 10th. In fact, when I first arrived there to visit, I imagined that the block bounded by 10th, Peachtree, 11th and Juniper should be like a central square or green that demarcates the northern and southern portions of midtown. It already has at least two hotels overlooking it. From what I saw, the block consisted of mostly surface parking and a couple of small buildings. The area felt unfinished to me.
Not sure how long ago you visited, but it's still that way. The developer that owns that block is notorious for doing nothing with his properties.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:47 PM

I heard a restaurant is planned for the little building on the northeast corner of 10th and Peachtree, and there is indeed a park that is currently out for construction bids:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:33 PM

^Wow! I'm actually shocked that Dewberry would allow this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta