HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Soleri reminds me of the old AZ Republic columnist, Jon Talton. Phoenix native, who ended up hating Phoenix for what it had become. He made excellent points, but they were lost by all of his constant negativity. Nobody wants to continually read how inferior you are to city "xyz".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Soleri reminds me of the old AZ Republic columnist, Jon Talton. Phoenix native, who ended up hating Phoenix for what it had become. He made excellent points, but they were lost by all of his constant negativity. Nobody wants to continually read how inferior you are to city "xyz".
"What Phoenix had Become"

See I don't get this... To me that's just the ultimate form of NIMBY-ism.

Im sorry your quirky desert town grew into a large post-war city. What would he have preferred?

Phoenix was more or less nothing until the boom years starting in the 1960's. So I dont know what they wanted, for it to stay a small 200k city??

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Where is this tangent of the conversation coming from if not from the guardians of Phoenix set? I've said it before but it's possible for one to criticize choices that have been made in Phoenix without (1) the input of SSP Phoenix forum members and (2) interpreting that criticism as a fundamental distaste for the city as a whole. Saying we don't want to see Tucson turn into Phoenix in regard to freeway construction =/= we don't want Tucson to follow Phoenix's lead on anything. The fact that many of you are incapable of separating these issues is surely why you feel the need to add your two cents to discussions such as this.

Look, I know all about the energy between Tucson and Phoenix posters and it goes both ways. After all, I've only been in Phoenix for 5 years and I was a Tucson forum member prior to that and prior to you joining these forums, so you can refrain from using the "guardians of Phoenix" crap. Furthermore, I think that more than qualifies me to state my opinions about Tucson without the approval of Tucson forum members. There has always been plenty of disdain for and aloofness towards Phoenix from Tucson members and residents and much of that had absolutely nothing to do with freeway construction.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:57 AM

Condo life to be next major shift in downtown Tucson

So I saw this on KVOA's Website today and the following was mentioned as part of the story:

"There are two confirmed projects that will bring in 30 more condos downtown and two more proposals are still being drawn up. Those could result in the construction of two 6 to 12-story condo buildings."

Does anyone have any info on what these projects might be?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
"What Phoenix had Become"

See I don't get this... To me that's just the ultimate form of NIMBY-ism.

Im sorry your quirky desert town grew into a large post-war city. What would he have preferred?

Phoenix was more or less nothing until the boom years starting in the 1960's. So I dont know what they wanted, for it to stay a small 200k city??
Well, your guess is as good as mine. I used to read many books on Boston's big mistakes of the 50s - 80s and I read a book by Grady Gammage Jr. about Phoenix development of the same time frame. I think what they desired was a more traditional approach to urban development. Phoenix once had a very vibrant CBD. Because it came of age during a time of "urban redevelopment" and the automobile it blossomed into the metropolis it is today. To say it won't evolve into something greater is short sighted and naive.

Cities constantly evolve. Metro Phoenix is in a major transformation right now. The freeways are in place. For it to become a major city, the freeways had to have been built. Now the transition to rail will happen. The CBD will bounce back, but for now Tempe and Scottsdale will become major regional nodes that will ultimately benefit Central Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Look, I know all about the energy between Tucson and Phoenix posters and it goes both ways. After all, I've only been in Phoenix for 5 years and I was a Tucson forum member prior to that and prior to you joining these forums, so you can refrain from using the "guardians of Phoenix" crap. Furthermore, I think that more than qualifies me to state my opinions about Tucson without the approval of Tucson forum members. There has always been plenty of disdain for and aloofness towards Phoenix from Tucson members and residents and much of that had absolutely nothing to do with freeway construction.
Again, the views of Tucsonans towards Phoenix are not monolithic, regardless of what your extensive time on these forums may have led you to believe.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
Condo life to be next major shift in downtown Tucson

So I saw this on KVOA's Website today and the following was mentioned as part of the story:

"There are two confirmed projects that will bring in 30 more condos downtown and two more proposals are still being drawn up. Those could result in the construction of two 6 to 12-story condo buildings."

Does anyone have any info on what these projects might be?
One could be The Post, or whatever Bourn is calling that project officially. I think that would be on the lower end but there's a chance they realized six floors was a waste of that property. I have no idea about the other project.

Also, LOL at "'I don't know if it's needed. I don't know if it's wanted either because downtown has a certain feel to it,' said Oscar Lopez, who also rents downtown."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:17 PM

Downtown Condo Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Well, your guess is as good as mine. I used to read many books on Boston's big mistakes of the 50s - 80s and I read a book by Grady Gammage Jr. about Phoenix development of the same time frame. I think what they desired was a more traditional approach to urban development. Phoenix once had a very vibrant CBD. Because it came of age during a time of "urban redevelopment" and the automobile it blossomed into the metropolis it is today. To say it won't evolve into something greater is short sighted and naive.

Cities constantly evolve. Metro Phoenix is in a major transformation right now. The freeways are in place. For it to become a major city, the freeways had to have been built. Now the transition to rail will happen. The CBD will bounce back, but for now Tempe and Scottsdale will become major regional nodes that will ultimately benefit Central Phoenix.
1. The Post
2. On 16th, behind the Jewish History Museum, condos are expected to break ground this year, if the neighbors don't kill it.
3. The Franklin Docks are picking up momentum again...Town West originally sat on the project too long, then tried to lower the heights for the buildings, so the project was killed, I believe the City is starting the process again...
http://www.dunbarspring.org/neighbor...ks-development
4. A few weeks ago, someone had posted some of the initial concepts for the redevelopment of the Ronstadt Center, that should be moving forward this Spring, IMO the high-rise condo projects from the Chicago-based company looked the best...

Anybody else have any ideas of what condo projects they may be referring to?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthomas View Post
4. A few weeks ago, someone had posted some of the initial concepts for the redevelopment of the Ronstadt Center, that should be moving forward this Spring, IMO the high-rise condo projects from the Chicago-based company looked the best...
The Ronstandt block is currnetly out for RFPs which are due back in September. A winner will be selected before Thanksgiving and then negotiations begin. Optimistically, we will see dirt turn Spring 2016, but I am willing to bet it will begin in 2017.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:31 PM

Quote:
2. On 16th, behind the Jewish History Museum, condos are expected to break ground this year, if the neighbors don't kill it.
The developer needs to realign Rubio Ave, which is not a public street. They are willing to do that, but need approval from a few neighbors who have rights-of-way. Two neighbors are opposed because they simply would rather look out at a weed strewn empty lot than have other neighbors.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
The developer needs to realign Rubio Ave, which is not a public street. They are willing to do that, but need approval from a few neighbors who have rights-of-way. Two neighbors are opposed because they simply would rather look out at a weed strewn empty lot than have other neighbors.
Classic Tucson!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
1. The Post
3. The Franklin Docks are picking up momentum again...Town West originally sat on the project too long, then tried to lower the heights for the buildings, so the project was killed, I believe the City is starting the process again...

As far as I know, there have been no major for-sale condo projects downtown since the earlier Presidio Terrace, The Post, Courthouse Annex and El Mirador projects bit the dust when the Great Recession hit--except The Flats at Julian Drew conversions. (Michael Keith may know about two "confirmed" condo projects, but there have yet to be any official announcements--otherwise, I would have them on my Tucson project list.)

However, the demand for downtown housing seems to be picking up, so any of the market-rate apartments proposed for The Post, the Arena Site project, the Ronstadt Transit Center project, and the Mission District west of I-10 could easily be switched to for-sale condos if developers believe that the buyers are there. I've also heard rumors that the proposed San Agustin Plaza mixed-use project across from the cathedral may be revived soon.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
I've also heard rumors that the proposed San Agustin Plaza mixed-use project across from the cathedral may be revived soon.
HSL just bought the parking lot across the street for "townhouse" development. Is that the lot where that was supposed to happen?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:27 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Random Happenings

Saw the green poster go up on the fencing outside Wildcat House earlier in the week and then didn't see it on the liquor license agenda for the council meeting on the 7th, so dug through the demolition permit and found out it's going to be a place called Brother John's BBQ. Doesn't seem to be a chain or anything.

Also, checked out the development package for Illegal Pete's which is redeveloping the building next to Frog & Firkin. The current plans show a reorg of the inside of the building and a 3-story, 1,190 sqft addition on the back side.
EDIT: Awesome additional doc that shows what the proposed changes to that building will look like. Historical Site Plan Proposal

Finally, the City will be approving two more debt obligations at the council meeting on the 7th. $60M in water infrastructure improvements and another $20M for City street repairs.

Last edited by ProfessorMole; Apr 3, 2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Update

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:40 AM

In case you missed it

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:10 AM

Quote:
1. The Post

Interesting to see about the Franklin Docks project, have not heard about it until now. Most likely there will be modifications to the design since it is right where the new Deck Plaza for the extension of the Barraza Aviation project will be.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
HSL just bought the parking lot across the street for "townhouse" development. Is that the lot where that was supposed to happen?
It sounds like the same location. As was noted a few months ago by other posters, there were some early renderings drawn up several years ago by Bob Vint for a four-story mixed-use project on that site that never got off the ground:

http://www.vintarchitects.net/#!publ...-augustin/cqt0

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:30 AM

Attend the public mtg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Interesting to see about the Franklin Docks project, have not heard about it until now. Most likely there will be modifications to the design since it is right where the new Deck Plaza for the extension of the Barraza Aviation project will be.
I recently sold my place in Dunbar spring and bought in barrio viejo. There is a lot of energy in dunbar spring but I presume it will try to kill any project at the franklin docks. There was a liquor license application for the whistle stop in Dunbar springs to turn it into a tap and bottle type concept and they fought it. and they will fight the franklin docs and ronstadt projects.

Last edited by hthomas; Apr 6, 2015 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Also, checked out the development package for Illegal Pete's which is redeveloping the building next to Frog & Firkin. The current plans show a reorg of the inside of the building and a 3-story, 1,190 sqft addition on the back side.
EDIT: Awesome additional doc that shows what the proposed changes to that building will look like. Historical Site Plan Proposal
That link did not work for me, but I think I found the document you were referencing: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/b...06_SMALL_1.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest