HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

QMJHL Thread 2018-19

Since there is the real possibility that the Wildcats are going to be unexpectedly good this year, and since the Mooseheads are hosting the Memorial Cup this year, I have decided to create a QMJHL thread, after a two year absence. I'll port in the last three posts from the Avenir Centre thread

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonrad View Post
i know this doesn't belong in the avenir centre thread, but i can't resist (there is no q league thread).

The moncton wildcats are now #1 in the qmjhl with 26 points at the 1/4 season mark.

They are on track to have a 104 pt. Season this year.

the wildcats are currently the top scoring team in the q

- jeremy mckenna is #1 in the scoring race with 11 g, 18 a & 29 pts, on track for a 116 pt season.
- jakob pelletier is #4 in league scoring with 9 g, 16 a & 25 pts, on track for a 100 pt season.
- mika cyr is #10 in league scoring with 8 g. 14 a & 22 pts, on track for an 88 pt season.

The mooseheads are the host team for the memorial cup this year. They are guaranteed to have a slot in the four team tournament. Wouldn't it be delicious if the cats won the presidents cup, and then had a chance to take the mooseheads down in the memorial cup final, just like the remparts did to the wildcats back in 2006.

I might have to start considering getting tickets to the memorial cup tournament in halifax this year, just in case.........

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
memorial cup packages go on sale dec 5th to the general public. I will warn you that basically the entire lower bowl has already been taken, and as far as i know the first 5-10 rows of the upper bowl. Personally if i'm too high up at the scotiabank centre it is not an enjoyable experience not being able to see anything but the ice surface.

It will be interesting to see what the cats do at christmas..i don't believe they intend to go all in this year. They've had a relatively easily schedule so far playing bathurst & sj 7 times..and some weaker quebec teams. They looked good in their win against rimouski. If they are still in first come christmas time they will certainly have some decisions to make.

Personally i see them as a light buyer..they are set in goal & up front. They have a weakness on d and could see them trying to go for some cheaper options to win a few rounds..as prices to aquire top players in a memorial cup year are astronomical. Any conversation involving acquiring a top player this year will start with asking about the bathurst 2019 1st round pick which should be a top 3 pick. The cats must keep that pick at all costs as it means a future franchise player.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonrad View Post
that's too bad. I'm like you - the upper bowl at the scotiabank centre seems claustrophobic the way it is hidden in behind their box seats. I'll have to think about it (whether or not to get the memorial cup package). I did the memorial cup here back in 2006 and had a blast!

Indeed.

Robert irving wants a memorial cup so badly he can taste it - yet, the wildcats are now the only nb based team never to have won the memorial cup!!

Personally, i don't think it would be prudent for the cats to go "all in" this year to win the cup. Their current success is a surprise, and largely due to their new goalie felix leclerc. He's rock solid, which in turn gives the team a lot of confidence, and helps to improve their offense (defencemen can move up more than they might with a weaker goalie).

They should enjoy the ride this year, but keep on with their long term plan i think. I agree with you, they need to keep their first round picks.........

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:13 PM

We (Titan) went to get the cup, will be up to the Cats this year to keep it in the province! We are kind of in a rebuilding year lol

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
We (Titan) went to get the cup, will be up to the Cats this year to keep it in the province! We are kind of in a rebuilding year lol
And we’ve got your #1 pick next year.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

BTW, congratulations to the Titan for the surprise Memorial Cup win last year.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:57 AM

Im not expecting much from the boys for the next two years, but after that should be getting interesting. They had a smashing ending to the season last year, it was really beautiful hockey to watch.

But for now, got to keep the support up, even if we have a hard time to score a goal, Go Titan Go!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wildcats have cracked the CHL top 10 rankings (#9).

Curiously four of the top ten teams are currently Q League teams.

Baie Comeau, Rouyn-Noranda and Halifax are #3, 4 & 5 respectively.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 PM

I believe Anderson MacDonald is making his season debut tonight.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 10:11 PM

Huge win today for Moncton as the Cats defeat Halifax 3-2 in OT

It was a comeback win as the Cats pulled the goalie with 2 minutes left down 2-1 and Jacob Hudson tied it up. The Cats dominated the 3 on 3 OT and Khovanov buried the winner with less than 40 seconds to go.

Cats now have a 14 game pt streak along with an 8 game winning streak

http://theqmjhl.ca/video/nov-418-wil...ooseheads-2-ot

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:38 AM

Pretty good game tonight at the Avenir Centre. Wildcats win another over the Titans in front of 5464 vocal fans.

I went there hungry, not eaten anything for a pregame supper. Decided to try one of those $15 shredded beef sandwiches with home made chips. Dam, that was goooood! Not going to complain the price. It was worth it for me.

Also decided to watch the game in the fan zone, or whatever its called. Took a couple of pics. Pretty good place to get close to the action.

Wildcats just scored a few seconds before to take a 4-1 lead. A sad Titan goalie.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was at the game tonight too, and noted the Bathurst goalie's reaction to that particular goal as well.

Good crowd. Should be a challenging game tomorrow night against Chicoutimi.

Cats are now #5 in the CHL (at least they were before losing to Charlottetown last night).

Go Cats Go!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was at the game tonight too, and noted the Bathurst goalie's reaction to that particular goal as well.

Good crowd. Should be a challenging game tomorrow night against Chicoutimi.

Cats are now #5 in the CHL (at least they were before losing to Charlottetown last night).

Go Cats Go!!
Yes, it was that goal. And BTW, think I saw you on the big screen doing the floss dance!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 12:51 PM

2018-19 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Attendance Average (as of November 10th)

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1970&sid=2019
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19702019.html

Mooseheads defeated Cape Breton 5-2 in front of 8540 last night.

Source: Instagram user scottwzhkop
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-4DqTh..._web_copy_link

Last edited by q12; Nov 10, 2018 at 1:38 PM. Reason: Added Graph

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, four of the top seven teams in league attendance are based in the Maritimes (Halifax, Moncton, Saint John & Charlottetown).

When are they going to get off the pot and rename the league the Quebec and Maritime Junior Hockey League.

They wouldn't even have to change the initials of the league (QMJHL).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting that the top six teams in league attendance are in the only six cities in the Q that Gilles Courteau says are capable of holding a Memorial Cup.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 12:52 AM

A little non QMJHL related but looking at that graphic, the Edmundston Blizzard, a Junior A hockey team, would be ranked 7th. They have an average of 2800 since the start of the 2018-2019 season. Same average last season.

From the little research I did last year they would have been ranked 5th nation wide in Junior A hockey only beat out by teams with bigger buildings out west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
2018-19 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Attendance Average (as of November 10th)

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1970&sid=2019
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19702019.html

Mooseheads defeated Cape Breton 5-2 in front of 8540 last night.

Source: Instagram user scottwzhkop
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-4DqTh..._web_copy_link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A very entertaining game this evening between the Cats and a very tough Chicoutimi team at the Avenir Centre, with the Cats winning 4-3 in OT before 5221 fans.

The Sagueneens are a very tight checking team, but the Cats adapted their game plan to their playing style, and coped very well. Lots of good plays on both sides, and despite the tight checking there were a reasonable number of good scoring opportunities.

I really love our #1 goalie Francis LeClerc - cool, methodical, confident, an excellent puck handler and capable of moving the puck up ice himself to create scoring chances for our forwards. You can just feel the confidence he gives the remainder of our team.

Cats remain tied with the Huskies for top spot in the league, and are one point ahead of arch rivals, the Mooseheads. Jeremy McKenna is one point off the league scoring race.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:25 PM

8,086 in attendance.

Every Halifax home game this year has had an attendance of over 8,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces