HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Again, San Antonio does not want to emulate Austin, and I'm sure Austin does not want to emulate San Antonio. Otherwise, Austin would have already attempted to build a Riverwalk, and San Antonio would have attempted to create a Sixth Street. Sorry, too totally DIFFERENT cities.

And GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing I want to emulate from Austin is there air service! Many more nonstop flights and more on way! Come on SA let's get with it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
No, we don't want to be Austin, Dallas or Houston, but we ARE in competition with them, and we'd better start acting like it.

Tourism is declining, and the tourists we do get are by and large from those cities. Catering to the "budget traveler" is not sustainable, all the while, forgetting about the RESIDENTS of San Antonio, both current and future. We need to get the tourists those other cities are getting. Austin, Dallas and Houston are mentioned nationally and internationally much more than San Antonio, and that has to change.

There are a lot of exciting ideas in the pipeline, but I remain dubious to much of it given SA's history of dialing down.

Not wanting to play second fiddle to any other city should not be confused with wanting to emulate them. I want to surpass them.

So tell me what does each of the three cities have to offer that we don't have?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:08 AM

Well, for one thing

As you stated, air service. SA has been woefully behind, until recently, in supporting SAT.

We have two world class theme parks, that the marketing side of the Convention and Visitors Bureau pretty much ignores. Part of that is that the CVB's budget is 10 million dollars, about half that of our competition.

We need better public transportation. It should be efficient and predictable to get to and from DT hotels to any tourist attraction in San Antonio.

Those other cities have a youthful vibe, and the cities cater to that. Yeah, Austin has UT, but SA has several colleges and universities as well. Add to that, the younger generation likes a shiny, modern core that has restaurants, arts, and other retail easily accessible by walking or biking.

So, to better answer your question, probably nothing other than a better marketing campaign, and a more vibrant, forward looking leadership.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 PM
James

CPS Energy to sell riverfront property next to Lone Star Brewery

Quote:
The property is at the southern edge of the trendy Southtown neighborhood between the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and the west bank of the San Antonio River where it has 950 feet of frontage. The neighboring property that was once home to the Lone Star Brewery is being transformed into a $300 million mixed-use development that includes entertainment, retail and apartments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:26 AM

OMG. I hope the city buys this and uses the site for the new DT baseball stadium. Most modern stadiums also have an entrainment district attached to them and the type of tenants attached to Lonestar would blend perfectly!!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:50 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Again, let's please stay on topic.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:22 PM
James

I think we need to get a baseball team first before we start trying to build stadiums... There are plenty of parking lots at the alamodome as well. Build a parking garage on another lot, boom. Done.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 6:09 PM

Let's try this again. You are from Tucson Arizona it's a family of five Mom & Dad three kids ages 6 thru 12 want to vacation in Texas. Which of the four cities Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio have to offer in the form of entertainment? Feedback please.

Last edited by Runner; Mar 29, 2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Left out key word.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Austin would have already attempted to build a Riverwalk,
They did attempt it with Waller Creek. The plan was scrapped when they realized how much flood control was necessary.

Quote:
Sorry I meant to say vacation in Texas.
That is a very limited way to compare the qualities of cities.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:04 AM

If I were vacationing in Texas, my first city would be San Antonio. The city may not have the best diversity or skyline for it's size, but San Antonio does have alot to offer. From History to Theme Parks. Plus your only 2 hrs away from Padre Island and a 1 hr away from Austin not to mention the Texas Hill Country right by.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
If I were vacationing in Texas, my first city would be San Antonio. The city may not have the best diversity or skyline for it's size, but San Antonio does have alot to offer. From History to Theme Parks. Plus your only 2 hrs away from Padre Island and a 1 hr away from Austin not to mention the Texas Hill Country right by.
Agreed! San Antonio would be the first choice of most "Americans" to vacation in, as well as other nationalities, as most tourist surveys will show.

A "skyline" DOES NOT bring in tourists. Unless, you are visiting the spectacular city of NEW YORK CITY where the best skyline in the world is located! IMO

And GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:53 PM

Alameda Theater getting a facelift

https://therivardreport.com/city-cou...ameda-theater/

The City of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas Public Radio, La Familia Cortez, and a host of community partners hope to turn the long-vacant Alameda Theater into a new venue for cultural programming and new headquarters for the nonprofit radio station by 2020.

The renovation and construction project will cost $26.4 million, according to preliminary estimates presented to City Council on Wednesday afternoon. Final details regarding building design, organizational structure, and budget will be finalized over the next months and years.

Two floors will be added to the non-historic backstage structure for TPR’s headquarters, and at least one broadcast booth will be visible from the adjacent San Pedro Creek, which is undergoing a $175 million renovation project of its own.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:35 PM
James

I am ready for Alameda Theater to be redone. I wonder what kind of acts it will attract.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:39 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I will not state this again. Please stay on topic.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:30 AM

SKW is correct

Any squabbles should be done on this page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=218300&page=3

You can reply on the page that you have moved the conversation here. SKW was kind enough to create this page for those discussions, so that the main pages can stay on topic.

Just keep it clean. Site rules still apply.

Of course, any off-topic posts can be done here, as regarding San Antonio. This is not a political page.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Post update on downtown SA

Can someone please provide a list of currently under construction, not approval or pending approval, buildings in downtown SA?

Thank you in advance!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:46 PM

Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Can someone please provide a list of currently under construction, not approval or pending approval, buildings in downtown SA?

Thank you in advance!
Pretty complete rundown here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=208847&page=2

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
That's crazy, I had not seen many of those renderings. But my question is: are they already under construction - Canopy, Thompson and Cambria. I am so happy about that spot for Cambria (first time reading anything about that spot. It's about time). I always felt something was going up, but I have seen gate around that location since June 2015.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
That's crazy, I had not seen many of those renderings. But my question is: are they already under construction - Canopy, Thompson and Cambria. I am so happy about that spot for Cambria (first time reading anything about that spot. It's about time). I always felt something was going up, but I have seen gate around that location since June 2015.
The Frost Tower and Canopy are under construction.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 5:59 PM

Not the biggest project, but construction is heating up for the townhomes along Guadalupe Street between San Pedro Creek and South Flores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio