HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:02 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Looks so out of place. Even in person. The skinniness makes it so awkward and the dramatic height even more so. Stands out like an NBA player at a midget convention. Bottom line: not crazy about this thing but imagine the views from it will be amazing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

I think of it as more of a measuring stick for future developments. A frame of reference perhaps for the area. Pertaining really to the other developments in demo currently. Gives us a good approximation of how dramatic 1400 feet or more would be for the area. Seeing 432 Park Ave makes me eager to have the other towers grace the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:45 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I guess that's one way to look at it. I don't think we can expect the Empire State and Chrysler Bldgs to be the rulers of the midtown skyline forever and that other really tall skyscrapers would eventually sprout up in the general vicinity.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:06 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Looks so out of place. Even in person. The skinniness makes it so awkward and the dramatic height even more so. Stands out like an NBA player at a midget convention. Bottom line: not crazy about this thing but imagine the views from it will be amazing.
You could say that about a lot of buildings in the world though, Taipei 101, Burj Khalifa, Int. Commerce Center in Hong Kong just to name a few.

It might look a little awkward from some angles but a bunch of buildings in the same height caliber will be joining it soon so the skyline will be a lot more balanced.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A distinction between those supertalls versus this one is that many of these Asian/Mid Eastern supertalls tend to be built on superblocks, away from other towers. NYC has towers literally wall to wall and in terms of an urban feel, is unmatched whereas those supertalls are isolated, and gives the feeling that the area is master planned whereas this feels organic.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
While you're at it, what's that lighted blue building to the left of 432? I was in NYC last winter and was really surprised by it, only because I hadn't heard of it before. I think it's a hotel, can't remember.
1717 Broadway has some of the best lighting in Midtown IMO. I was also surprised by it since I followed the construction of that tower on this board, however I don't remember anybody posting any finished pics of it at night.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:18 AM

l noticed what appeared to be one of the drums lit tonight. l couldn't photograph it because my phone died. but it looked good

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:58 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Guess I should have gone to take a look tonight. I've been waiting to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post

The views will be great, which is one of the reasons its so tall - the prices they can get for those units.

But if you're concerned about it being so much taller than the rest of the towers, stay tuned. I remember when One57 looked like a dominant tower over Central Park. But since the arrival of 432, its just another filler. When other towers, currently in various phases of "construction" get built, 432 will be just one of a group of towers dominating, its own dominance diminished.

A few more photos, some older than others...

Erica Mengouchian

RickyCacioppo

Eise Pulles

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 30, 2014 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 2:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

from madison ave

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:29 PM

I know we're still probably months away from the Mechanical floor "reveal(s)".. but I have to ask the obvious about the top 4 "floors".... Since there is obviously no flooring at this time... and there don't appear to be the form-works up there to create them... are we looking at a 4 story roof-top fishbowl ??

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:39 PM
BANNED

^Judging by our renderings, only the top two floors will remain open. Keep in mind, the penthouses are still early in their build-out phase. I must say; the crown is the greatest aspect of this entire design. A perfect blend of sky and building.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:53 PM

Are you suggesting that these top two floors/mech space will be treated exactly like the the open air ones beneath? And lo and behold this tower now has a sheer concrete grid crown?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Judging by our renderings, only the top two floors will remain open.
Yeah... I noticed that. Thought they would have at least poured the 3 & 4th floor from the top (and the roof) if penthouses were to be there.

Guess anything is still possible... the waiting excitement continues

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
from madison ave

It's like a giant monument.

Juicy359

dougschneiderphoto

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Are you suggesting that these top two floors/mech space will be treated exactly like the the open air ones beneath? And lo and behold this tower now has a sheer concrete grid crown?
That's how I always understood it, but it's really difficult to say for certain. I'd love to see a concrete grid crown but it would disrupt the mechanical section intervals.

EDIT: After counting the floors in the rendering below, the top section has 12 levels, whereas the section below has 10 floors between sections, which only means one thing..

Posted by NYGUY

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 9:16 PM

both of the top two section in the above image have twelve floors.. twelve floors between open mech levels.. twelve floors above last mech level to the top.. i am almost certain they are putting windows all the way to the top on this thing

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 9:41 PM
weidncol

Yes, they are.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 9:53 PM

@Weidncol;

That would be a shame; because if you notice in the above rendering, it seems to me that the top row on the east elevation gives the appearance of there being no windows, i.e. sunlight seems to shine through the grid.
I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for an open "semi-crown" on the E/W sides.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:05 PM
Resident Moron

Was walking my dog last night and saw 2 floors lit that didn't have the blue hue to them. I couldn't tell from where I was (around w 86th in the park), but I think it may have been some of the "gap" floors.

Either way, it looked nice.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 12:05 AM

It seems not a lot of NY condo towers have balconies. You see it a lot more on the west coast.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive