HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:39 PM

and pretty much every single one of those get released regardless. why even bother?

the only hope is a creating an appreciation for architecture and built environment so that in time, developers hold the same sentiment and see an incentive to market restored properties. and we only seem to be drifting further away. people are more concerned with catching Pokemon than issues that actually affect the neighborhoods they live in.

i simply dont understand how someone can look at a building like this and say "yes, the destruction of this is what i want my defining legacy and gift to future generations to be."

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 13, 2016 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
and pretty much every single one of those get released regardless. why even bother?

the only hope is a creating an appreciation for architecture and built environment so that in time, developers hold the same sentiment and see an incentive to market restored properties. and we only seem to be drifting further away. people are more concerned with catching Pokemon than issues that actually affect the neighborhoods they live in.
That's true, til then you fight the good fight and hope for ones like this.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:58 PM

^^^ Are you saying La Luce is safe? I hope so.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Pretty much the defacto HQ will be Chicago. I doubt the CEO spends a whole lot of time in Racine, WI. Sure you can get a Kringle and some great prime rib, but, come on...
Care to share where this said prime rib is. I'm around the area a lot.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Are you saying La Luce is safe? I hope so.
That was the parish house at 2746 N. Magnolia Ave for the church at Diversey & Magnolia that was wrecked. They decided to keep the parish house.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:29 AM

Speaking of landmarks, apparently someone is adopting Marina City under the Adopt-A-Landmark FAR bonus?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
That is similar to what we did for banks and tied houses, but even then it is difficult with out the owners consent.

But this property, just seems to be a case of "Old and in the way"

From what I can tell, the property went into foreclosure the bank's development arm, M15 acquired title and they are the owners on the demo permit.

However it would appear from recorders records that the bank deeded this property back to morretti (original owner) prior to the demo application. The bank kept the triangular lot on Ogden.

So who knows?
I'll need to check this on the recorders website tomorrow since it's difficult to look up on a phone. I don't know what the city's policy is on transfer of permits or if M-15 still holds title to the property that they can still make alterations to the property.

If the property was transferred back to the owner, the approved permit would...I believe....be invalid

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

people are more concerned with catching Pokemon than issues that actually affect the neighborhoods they live in.
Actually the game encourages visits to historic structures. Just playing the game for 1 hour walking home from work, I learned the names of 3 nineteenth century buildings in River North which was kind of cool.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:47 AM

^ Did they actually program minutiae of the world's cities into the game? Or does the game just leverage whatever info is in Google/Bing/Here Maps or something? Sounds great either way, but the former would be very impressive.

--------

The IBEW building was one that was supposed to be saved, in tandem with redevelopment, around the end of the last bubble, I thought. But now is nobody giving a second thought to what's going to become of it?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Did they actually program minutiae of the world's cities into the game? Or does the game just leverage whatever info is in Google/Bing/Here Maps or something? Sounds great either way, but the former would be very impressive.

--------

The IBEW building was one that was supposed to be saved, in tandem with redevelopment, around the end of the last bubble, I thought. But now is nobody giving a second thought to what's going to become of it?
The content of the game was all manually entered through Ingress. So it's all locally generated over the years with content imported to Pokemon with the same principal that important cultural landmarks allow to you to perform certain tasks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:10 AM
THAT Guy

La Luce is beautiful and any demolition would be another reminder of the lack of preservation in this city.

IBEW/SC Johnson - really, why did they buy this? This seems way too small of a site for any kind of major vertical office building, even an econobox. Certainly wouldn't be ideal for a modern, efficient HQ. I don't get the play here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:03 PM

They could be intending to use it as some sort of showroom for their products or a promotional space.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgc View Post
Looks like the demo fence is up for the buildings on grand avenue just east of Halsted. Is that Brininstool and Lynch project approved to move forward? Maybe I'm confusing that site.
Looks like permits were issued yesterday for demolishing the 1 story building at 712 W Grand Ave.

http://www.chicagocityscape.com/perm...?pid=100655627

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
IBEW/SC Johnson - really, why did they buy this? This seems way too small of a site for any kind of major vertical office building, even an econobox. Certainly wouldn't be ideal for a modern, efficient HQ. I don't get the play here.
It looks like there is plenty of room or is the parking lot to the north not part of it?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It looks like there is plenty of room or is the parking lot to the north not part of it?

That aerial is outdated. The 108 N Jefferson project now takes up that entire lot

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:09 PM

33 S Aberdeen (have seen listed as 35 S Aberdeen though) was permitted yesterday. 4 stories and 50 units. Another West Loop lot to bite the dust.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
That aerial is outdated. The 108 N Jefferson project now takes up that entire lot
Doh. I should have known that. In that case spyguy is right, that is a unusually small plot of land for a office tower of any significance. We will just have to wait and see what their plans are.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:22 PM

Could they develop some vacant plot of land across the street or otherwise nearby, and leave the smaller historic building intact with development rights transferred to the vacant land in order to gain entitlement for greater density/FAR on the vacant plot?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
La Luce is beautiful and any demolition would be another reminder of the lack of preservation in this city.

It's not going to be a very tall building or buildings.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 10:39 PM

Today
Malcolm X demo, and what appears to be simultaneous site prep for the new Blackhawks building. The half of the site that still needs demo is fenced off from the site eastward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development