HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:21 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

My bad, I didn't know that people get in the arms if I don't distinguish between Navies and others...
By the way, can I (still) ask you for help over something?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm not sure it's good SSP etiquette to out him like that though. Might want to edit that out ASAP.

I knew his name already, because once he had a pic (or a graph, or something - it was probably data, if memory serves) that he wanted to post on the forum, and he linked to his photohosting account, which had his name on it and also his other pictures that were readily available to anyone clicking on his link (that's how I learned he was a fellow GM Fullsize Pickup owner - from his pic of a nice new regular cab short box black GMC Sierra )
I get a lot of complements about that truck. Mainly from guys whose wives would give them the "You know you have 3 kids right? Why the fuck would you want a truck that only sits 3?" look if they ever brought up the subject.

Due to me being deployed to an un-named Middle East country this summer I sold it to a nice family west of Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
... Okay...?
Its like if you went to the states and asked a Marine, "What's it like in the Army?"

Those of us who are not in the Army take great offence to folks who lump us all with the "mud monkeys"

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
army (or intelligence) is usually where people go who do not have a high intelligence. The smartest go to air force. I was navy.
fify

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:28 AM

Quote:
That's not at all what we're doing. I even got Dengler Avenue to immediately edit out VANRIDERFAN's details on last page (he didn't mean any harm I'm sure... just didn't think of it).

I am pretty sure some find it an interesting challenge to try to find who's who in real life. Acajack in particular (and he's really good at it...) seems to like the sportsmanship of the hunt much more than the "result", and he never outed anyone among the ones he found.

It's an enjoyable intellectual challenge to try to make use of a few available clues and possible avenues to achieve the goal of locating someone, and the satisfaction of at last finding one's "prey" is real too Some people do crossword puzzles instead...

Hey, I wonder if I can pull off locating you? You gave us quite a bit of info on what you're doing for work......
I wondered why my ears were burning today!
Truth be told, I haven't been very good on the PERSEC on this site.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:31 AM

Quote:
I'm curious to see if you can track down Acajack.

Bonus points if you can find out who he voted for in the previous elections!
I read that you'd vote for me! LOL!

Man, the press would have a field day sorting through my skeleton filled closet. Maybe once I retire and just for shits and giggles i'll run for public office! It'd be a hoot!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
My bad, I didn't know that people get in the arms if I don't distinguish between Navies and others...
Sure! Need to bury a body or something?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Don't be cruel!

I just googled my name (full name, not the shortened version I use for almost everything) and found it with a connection to my employer online. It's buried pretty deep though. My boss knows I post here but doesn't think much of people talking over the internet.
Just saw that a pic by you got used on the cover of a federal document a number of years ago, which is pretty cool, but I haven't found your employer (yet).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I wondered why my ears were burning today!
There was a brief window of time on the evening of May 17th during which your personal info was publicly available in this thread, but that got fixed very quickly

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Sure! Need to bury a body or something?
Nah~
I guess I will let things cool down a bit first...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Its like if you went to the states and asked a Marine, "What's it like in the Army?"

Those of us who are not in the Army take great offence to folks who lump us all with the "mud monkeys"
The Marines are not even it's own branch. It is part of their Navy, but try saying that to them....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The Marines are not even it's own branch. It is part of their Navy, but try saying that to them....
Are you sure about that? I think it is it's own branch of the Armed Forces. It's a component of the Department of the Navy as is the U.S. Navy.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
More correct would be to ask if anyone was a member of the Armed Forces, or CAF.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Are you sure about that? I think it is it's own branch of the Armed Forces. It's a component of the Department of the Navy as is the U.S. Navy.
Its all a bit convoluted (as is everything in the USA). It is a separate service but it is very married to the Navy. There has been an on going battle within the Defence Department with the Army on one side and the Navy/Marines on the other over why there are Marines and why the Army shouldn't just take over the Marines. The current Commandant of the Marines just released a document that is a definite shift of focus from being a second Army to returning to their roots as Fleet Marines. And just to make things more confusing, the US Coast Guard is part of Homeland Security but are routinely seconded to the USN as situations dictate.

Other nations have their Marines solidly married to their Navies. The Royal Marines are a section of the Royal Navy, similar to the Fleet Air Arm (but different as well ). Although I don't think there is any ability for an RM officer to become the First Sea Lord (the head of the RN)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I remember I used to see ads on U.S. TV that would say:

ARMY

NAVY

AIR FORCE

MARINES

As if the Marines were separate.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm curious to see if you can track down Acajack.

Bonus points if you can find out who he voted for in the previous elections!
It's no big secret to me how YOU found out my real name , but one who freaked me out was Begratto. He explained to me once how he found me, and it still amazes me how he got from his starting point to me.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:42 PM

I probably wouldn't be hard to find. I don't really pay much attention to covering my tracks. I figure if someone wants to find me in this day and age, they will. That said, I try not to voice any opinion that might be at odds with my employer, for obvious reasons.

Only other person I think I really am acquainted with (via PMs and local context) is MonctonRad.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 1:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I probably wouldn't be hard to find. I don't really pay much attention to covering my tracks. I figure if someone wants to find me in this day and age, they will. That said, I try not to voice any opinion that might be at odds with my employer, for obvious reasons.

Only other person I think I really am acquainted with (via PMs and local context) is MonctonRad.
And I haven't really bothered trying to find out who you really are, although I know who you work for and in what department, and in which municipality you currently live. The final step wouldn't be to difficult to take.

As for me, I think most people could find out who I am within 10 seconds of beginning a search. I have certainly left enough clues. One of my co-workers (who occasionally lurks on SSP didn't have too much trouble figuring it out).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As for me, I think most people could find out who I am within 10 seconds of beginning a search.
I tend to think that "Everything's Smaller in the Maritimes" so I would just assume that Moncton has one hospital that has one radiologist.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
I tend to think that "Everything's Smaller in the Maritimes" so I would just assume that Moncton has one hospital that has one radiologist.
Actually "Everything's Smaller in New Brunswick. And then Doubled."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada