HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:42 AM

Has anyone else noticed that GRT has basically given up on the IExpress bus stop display boards? Before they displayed when the next bus should arrive according to schedule. Now they don't bother, and just say, "Consult schedule".

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that GRT has basically given up on the IExpress bus stop display boards? Before they displayed when the next bus should arrive according to schedule. Now they don't bother, and just say, "Consult schedule".

I overheard one of the drivers saying they've been having some problems with the GPS systems, especially around UW.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:36 PM

I personally haven't seen it say "consult schedule". But this just reminds me of one day that the bus was extremely late. I was at Conestoga mall and when I first read the monitor it said Due 29 minutes, I went back in the mall for about 20 and came back out and it was at 9. It went all the way down to DUE as it should. It then went back up to 17 and repeated the pattern. Once it was to DUE once again it went back to 7 and fluctuated from 7 to 6 and back for atleast 10 minutes. Then the bus finally came. It was likely due to the snowstorm overnight, but I find it curious because I was there after lunch so most streets would have had the chance to be plowed, and Ixpress runs on main streets that should have been plowed already for rush hour 3-4 hours earlier. I just found it a little odd....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
No clue. Here's more Elmira info though:

I'd love to see that in place. Lots of nice little shops and markets in and around Elmira/St. Jacobs that many people miss.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Neighbourhood wants to get off busy bus route

April 24, 2008
Jeff Outhit
RECORD STAFF

CAMBRIDGE

Residents of a west Galt neighbourhood could not persuade regional council to keep Grand River Transit off their streets.

"I am really disappointed," Debbie Dokas said. She asked council on Tuesday to keep a bus off Westcliff Way, saying her street is too steep for safe bus travel.

Route 57 will be extended into the Westview subdivision in September, with buses running every half-hour. Six new bus stops will be installed on Blair Road, Princess Street and Bismark Drive.

Critics, armed with neighbourhood petitions, contend the buses will be noisy and polluting, draw few passengers, threaten the safety of children playing outside and decrease property values.

Grand River Transit says its buses can travel safely through the neighbourhood. The route is expected to draw 40 more passengers a day by bringing 400 more homes within a five-minute walk of a bus stop.

Chair Ken Seiling rejects arguments a bus can't travel safely on Westcliff Way. "This road is I think quite appropriate for bus service," he said after driving there to check it out. Council has rejected several neighbourhood campaigns against new routes. Ridership on the new route will be reviewed after a year.

jouthit@therecord.com
I think this route would be good for this area. There's a ton of people, and new developments that could benefit from this.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:22 PM
Cambridgite

"Critics, armed with neighbourhood petitions, contend the buses will be noisy and polluting, draw few passengers, threaten the safety of children playing outside and decrease property values."

Uhh...wow. You know you don't have much else to complain about when...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:28 PM

Well, the last two are easy to fix--keep the cars in the garage and the kids in the yard. Buses are noisy and polluting, yes, but not as bad as fifty SUVs with the radios on full blast.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
"Critics, armed with neighbourhood petitions, contend the buses will be noisy and polluting, draw few passengers, threaten the safety of children playing outside and decrease property values."

Uhh...wow. You know you don't have much else to complain about when...
I actually laughed at this when I read it. Just a message to all of those who oppose the bus: buses pollute less than cars (per capita), buses aren't all that noisy (Nova's atleast), they don't have to draw few passengers (get the f**k out of your SUV's, take the bus, and then they won't run empty), they are just as dangerous, or safe as cars to children, and they don't decrease property value!
End of rant .

On Tuesday April 22, these reports went to regional council, and passed!
http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web...df?openelement

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web...df?openelement

The NIMBYians didn't get their way. Get out of your SUV's and give transit a try!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:49 PM
BANNED

--

Last edited by WaterlooInvestor; Jan 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:14 PM

Greyhound may cut core bus service with move to Sportsworld Drive

May 08, 2008
Jeff Outhit
RECORD STAFF

KITCHENER

Greyhound may reduce bus service from the downtown transit terminal when the company relocates to Sportsworld Drive in July.

The prospect bothers Brenda MacKenzie, who commutes to Toronto on Greyhound. She considers the Sportsworld site less convenient for intercity commuters. Unlike the Charles Street terminal, Sportsworld has just one transit link.

"To get out there, especially early in the morning, is a real pain," she said. "They seem to make an awful lot of decisions without considering the people who kind of keep them alive."

Greyhound will stop selling tickets at Charles Street after July 20 but says it hopes to continue collecting passengers downtown even after relocating its terminal.

This depends on upcoming negotiations with Grand River Transit.

"If we can continue on with a strong presence at the downtown terminal, we may have the best of both worlds for our commuters," said Randy Padley, director of passenger services for Greyhound in eastern Canada.

Greyhound contends moving to Sportsworld will boost ridership by providing free parking that commuters crave. Proximity to Highway 401 should also improve schedule reliability, Padley said.

Greyhound will use a temporary terminal until a new building is completed on the land where Sportsworld is being redeveloped.

A Grand River Transit bus stops at Sportsworld every 30 minutes. The transit service may consider upgrading this connection, transit director Eric Gillespie said.

Padley said Greyhound is also seeking a better Cambridge terminal, to provide more parking and waiting room.

Greyhound's relocation from Charles Street affects up to six transit employees who are paid to provide Greyhound services. Gillespie could not say if their jobs are lost.

"We're still trying to determine what the impact will be," he said.

jouthit@therecord.com

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Unlike the Charles Street terminal, Sportsworld has just one transit link.
I wonder if they'll add another route going from downtown to Sportsworld Crossing?
Currently the 52 goes there from cambridge as well as fairview mall and gets there at 6:11am. Not too bad, but doesn't go from downtown.

Im not sure, but I think the 52 is the only link at Sportsworld?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:45 PM

iXpress connects the Charles Street and Sportsworld terminals as well.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:53 PM

Does it leave early as well?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:23 PM
National Capital Region

I've never taken the Ixpress south of Charles, but according to their website it doesn't stop at Sportsworld

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 10:00 PM

That's odd, I was sure it did. Maybe it used to but doesn't any more.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLawrence View Post
iXpress connects the Charles Street and Sportsworld terminals as well.
No it doesn't.
I heard that Greyhound was leaving Charles St. for good.

Last edited by kitchener-lrt; May 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 10:45 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt View Post
NO it doesn't.
That's too bad. It'll be hard to get downtown from out of town in that case. It would require a transfer from Sportsworld to route 52, to the iXpress at Fairview Mall, to get downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt View Post
No it doesn't.
Until Sportsworld becomes a "hub" I think this is a big mistake
Theres no direct link to other lines, no direct link to the universities. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Until Sportsworld becomes a "hub" I think this is a big mistake
Theres no direct link to other lines, no direct link to the universities. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
I agree. For now, Greyhound will just be stopping at a big-box developement, shuttling people to Toronto and back, instead of leaving from an established passenger hub, with connections to the downtown and GRT.
Stupid move Greyhound!

Hopefully, GO will eventually provide train and bus connections to the downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 3:54 PM

Greyhound often annoys me. I try to avoid them whenever possible, for instance by taking the train. I wonder how many of their passengers are commuters, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario