HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Quite a bit of forming work is underway at the Delta Hotel at the waterfront. But of course the hotel is only going ahead still if the event centre is approved at the waterfront...
Have you got a source on that? At the Concerned Taxpayers meeting, Tim Commisso said the hotel was not contingent on the Event Centre.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Quite a bit of forming work is underway at the Delta Hotel at the waterfront. But of course the hotel is only going ahead still if the event centre is approved at the waterfront...

I think that is sarcasm

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:24 PM

Ah, sorry! I've just heard it argued so many times I'm not even really parsing it anymore.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:16 AM

Yes it was sarcasm because so many out there in this town are making the assumption one will not proceed without the other.

Excavator is parked out front of the Valhalla on the former Shell Cardlock property. Perhaps a location to watch. There was an outfit undertaking traffic counts for an un-named party interested in the property last year.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Yes it was sarcasm because so many out there in this town are making the assumption one will not proceed without the other.

Excavator is parked out front of the Valhalla on the former Shell Cardlock property. Perhaps a location to watch. There was an outfit undertaking traffic counts for an un-named party interested in the property last year.
According to the City council records 740 Arthur street west was sold to a number company in February.

The city has also sold the lot across from Tony and Adams 48 Court street south in early August, to Sam Romeo (owner of BNL construction) who is part of the developers building the Terra Vista condos on Beverly street. Hopefully we will see a new multi unit residential tower on court street, but due to the height restrictions in that area it will not likely materialize into much more than a small apartment building.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 12:38 AM
I am a typical

I honestly don't mind the idea of keeping buildings in Port Arthur below 12 storeys. Model it after Victoria's downtown.

The only real downside though is that downtown Fort William can't build up high either, because of the flight path.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:14 AM

The limit in that area is 10 meters, or 3 stories. The ostensible purpose is to protect some of the Public Views, in this case from Hillcrest. The owners of the old movie theatre on Cumberland were able to successfully argue that their particular plan did not impinge on the view; I don't see why this site couldn't go up to 4 or 5 stories if they applied for an exemption.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:50 AM
I am a typical

Anything north of Wilson Street can be as tall as it wants to be without blocking the Sleeping Giant. Instead of a blanket restriction, they should do what Vancouver did and figure out exact view cones from lookouts, streets and existing buildings so that we can built up in any spot that isn't going to block the view. Vancouver's method was so exact, they were able to protect a view by making a building triangular.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 3:59 PM

It is not just the view from hillcrest of the sleeping giant that they want to preserve, it is also the view from Van Norman and College street intersection..... Not sure why that is significant.

The sad part is that the city owns 3 buildings downtown that are all taller than the allowable height restrictions in that zone and were all grandfathered.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 10:46 PM

Another town home style building is set to begin at Terra Vista shortly. As far as the towers go, those are still a little ways out from what I hear.

Supposedly the new residence development at the college is imminent. I heard starting date perhaps within a week or two. No idea who the contractor is or if local trades and suppliers will be used much.

Outfitting of a building in the Intercity area for Industry Canada is well underway. Hopefully this new presence will have significantly positive effects on the local industrial/manufacturing scene.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 1:59 AM

Lots of excavation going on behind the two modular units housing ICar Canada at Lakehead Motors at the moment. Looks as though Lakehead is going ahead with the second building on their property that will house Mercedes eventually. I think ICar will be moving over to the current Mercedes location by the airport.

Work is also finally underway on the Subway at the Harbour-Carrick Centre. There were some significant delays caused by leasing issues. Thompson Centres is also more actively marketing the proposed restaurant site, having placed a large billboard on the property recently.

Michael Hill Jewelers is coming to Intercity Mall. It has been a work in progress for a month or so now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 11:05 PM

There is some action in Innova Park. Several trails have been cut into the bush in the south-west part of the property where Innovation Dr. takes the corner to head north. There has quite obviously been some pretty heavy traffic into the wooded area. I am not sure if this is related to Costco, or if someone else is looking at this property. If cleared and developed, the parcel would easily be visible from the T-Bay Expressway and the intersection of the Expressway & the Harbour Expressway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
There is some action in Innova Park. Several trails have been cut into the bush in the south-west part of the property where Innovation Dr. takes the corner to head north. There has quite obviously been some pretty heavy traffic into the wooded area. I am not sure if this is related to Costco, or if someone else is looking at this property. If cleared and developed, the parcel would easily be visible from the T-Bay Expressway and the intersection of the Expressway & the Harbour Expressway.
I checked out today that parcel of land . There is 4 large trails cleared out in the woods . Also there were surveyor stakes all over the place .
The area it takes up is very large . Like you said it starts way down on the Harbour Expressway side and goes for a bit around the corner .
Please be a Costco , i was a member for 10 yrs in Southern Ontario , great store !!!
Also the fitness place called Unleashed located on Memorial in front of the Econo Lodge , is going to set up a second location in the new plaza on Waterloo st . Still lots of empty spots there to , i thought a union and a Dennys were looking at that location ?
Also wonder what ever happen to Tony Romas setting up in old Swiss Chalet location ?
Any word on that night club that started to renovate on Red River but nothing in months happening ?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I checked out today that parcel of land . There is 4 large trails cleared out in the woods . Also there were surveyor stakes all over the place .
The area it takes up is very large . Like you said it starts way down on the Harbour Expressway side and goes for a bit around the corner .
Please be a Costco , i was a member for 10 yrs in Southern Ontario , great store !!!
Also the fitness place called Unleashed located on Memorial in front of the Econo Lodge , is going to set up a second location in the new plaza on Waterloo st . Still lots of empty spots there to , i thought a union and a Dennys were looking at that location ?
Also wonder what ever happen to Tony Romas setting up in old Swiss Chalet location ?
Any word on that night club that started to renovate on Red River but nothing in months happening ?
From what I have recently heard, the people looking to setup the Tony Romas are setting up several across the country. They had some trouble with other locations that delayed the startup here. But it is a Tbay rumor so who knows how true that is.

In terms of the nightclub on Red River, there is not liquor licence. The owner was the previous owner of Roxy's at both locations and it turns out that he cannot get a liquor licence any more due to all the previous violations. This also applies to his family and friends are not willing to take on the risk for him. It is also rumored that he had approached several other bars about getting him a licence and they all have turned him down. Yet again Tbay rumors.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 9:24 PM

In the news a few months back it said construction would not begin on the Delta hotel at the marina until Febuary , well i guess a change of plans as a huge crane is there and lots of the steel beams are up , with many workers on site !!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:31 AM
Urban Fanactic

110-Mega Watt Gas Fired Co-generation Plant to shut down because they can't reach an agreement with the OPA.

Source: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=79318

New plans for a deep-water port in Sault Ste. Marie.
Quote:
What started off as Essar Steel Algoma needing more dock space has spiralled into a number of possible new opportunities for the Sault, say city officials.

Joe Fratesi, Chief Adminstrative Officer for the city, said during an interview last Friday the initial proposal was for the city to purchase or lease a small 72 acre tract of land from Essar Steel Algoma to develop a small public access port.

Essar Steel, and its parent company, came back with a much more ambitious scenario involving a larger 1025 acre tract of land.

“We now have the potential of moving into 1,000 acres of port area where industry that is related to either the steel plant or related to shipping could use the land for their staging areas,” said Fratesi.

The plan may see the land sold or leased back to the city from Essar Steel Algoma and Essar Ports overseeing operation of them.

Source: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=79170

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:46 PM
Urban Fanactic

Sault Ste. Marie construction update part 1 of 2.
Apartment building under construction on Second Line West at Edison Avenue.

Commercial building under construction on Pim Street just south of Bruce Street.

Conversion of the Plummer Hospital to condominiums called The Riverwalk on Queen Street East across from Simpson Street.

St. Mary's Catholic High School on Second Line East (Highway 17) at Pine Street.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:28 PM
Urban Fanactic

Sault Ste. Marie Construction Update 2 of 2.
New building site for commercial use on Great Northern Road (Highway 17) at Killarney Road.

New Mazda car dealership on Great Northern Road (Highway 17) between Third Line East and Drive-in Road.

New Group Health Centre building on Great Northern Road (Highway 17) across from the Sault Area Hospital.

New building site for commercial use on Great Northern Road (Highway 17) between Third Line East and Fourth Line East.

New seniors home site on North Street just north of Second Line. Construction was suppose to start this month but I guess they are waiting to the spring now.

New international Bridge Plaza at Huron Street and Albert Street West.

New home of the Algoma Conservatory of Music at the old St. Mary's paper site on Huron Street.

Pulp tower and machine shop conversion to institutional and museum uses at the old St. Mary's paper site on Huron Street.

River Park Manor on East Street at Bay Street. First building in the city to be constructed entirely using insulated concrete forms.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:09 AM

Thanks again for more updates from the Sault! Construction scene there appears to be really busy!

=======

Work has finally begun on the new dental office that will occupy the vacant church at the corner of Redwood and Edward. Quite a bit of work happening on the grounds prior to freeze up and the snow.

The site for two new student residence buildings has apparently been cleared at Confederation College. The developer is in the final process of lining up trades to construct the buildings.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:35 PM

A 50 unit development will be built at the corner of Wardrope and Hilldale in the spring. It will consist of all multi-residential units in three buildings. More land is being cleared across Hilldale for further development of single detached homes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario